Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation Tomorrow!

Tomorrow, I have my psych evaluation. For some reason, this will take 2 hours. I have no idea what to expect! Honestly, this is my very last thing to do before they submit for final insurance approval....I feel... apathetic?

At first, 2 years ago when I first brought WLS up with my doctor, I was shut down. Don't do it, she said. Wait for an innovation or pill. Then, she retired, got a new doctor, better insurance, and in February, my new doctor was like, Why not? You'll have to do 6 months of counseling first there...Let's start there.

So now, it's December, and...IDK...am I waiting for something new to go wrong? I had my last RD appt 11/19. Got my surgeon referral 11/23. Had my first appt 11/28. Went to a group therapy. Things are moving fast. Maybe things are going too fast after months of snail paced action? Maybe I really want someone to say, No, you don't need this! (When I obviously do, but pride). Maybe I really haven't thought this fully through?

Tomorrow should be interesting, to say the least. I know, from the boards, that second guessing yourself is normal at this stage. Should I feel so passive about it though???

Sent from my LG-G710 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's normal to have second thoughts. Remind yourself of why you wanted WLS in the first place. Has anything changed that would make you think that you shouldn't do it? I had second thoughts for a millisecond, but then remembered that even if I did lose the weight, that I probably wouldn't be able to keep it off. WLS will make it a lot more likely that I'll be able to maintain my weight loss, which is why I'm going through with it.

As far as the psych eval, I was told that mine would be an hour and a half. I met with a psychologist and completed several written assessments. The whole process was under an hour.

It's normal to have second thoughts. Remind yourself of why you wanted WLS in the first place. Has anything changed that would make you think that you shouldn't do it? I had second thoughts for a millisecond, but then remembered that even if I did lose the weight, that I probably wouldn't be able to keep it off. WLS will make it a lot more likely that I'll be able to maintain my weight loss, which is why I'm going through with it.
As far as the psych eval, I was told that mine would be an hour and a half. I met with a psychologist and completed several written assessments. The whole process was under an hour.
I think I keep expecting someone to try to talk me out of it? And no one is? It just seems...too easy? I shouldn't complain or I will jinx myself [emoji23] [emoji23]

The longest part of my psych evaluation was taking two exams. In the verbal interview I was asked about my knowledge of the procedure, potential side effects, how I thought about food and eating, and if I had a support network (or at least one person I could count on). It took about three hours...there was a lot of talking.

It helps too now that I have more emotional support from family. There’s been a dramatic shift from “you don’t need it,” and “are you sure you want to do that,” to “you can do this.” Now I’m focused on the positive things that *will* happen, even though I know the process will be challenging.

It helps too now that I have more emotional support from family. There’s been a dramatic shift from “you don’t need it,” and “are you sure you want to do that,” to “you can do this.” Now I’m focused on the positive things that *will* happen, even though I know the process will be challenging.

That will be interesting to discuss with the doctor. She talked a lot about that during group therapy...I'm interested for reframing tips!!

Update: I went to my psych evaluation today. Was running a little late, so was a little flustered. Took about 20 mins to fill out some mental health questionnaires, then was called back to see the psychologist. We spent about 15 mins talking, then she got out her stamp. She said that I was her favorite type of candidate: a Type A, borderline ADHD teacher, with a clear set, daily routine, and a love of MMA.

I was like, I thought this was a 2 hour appointment?

She was like, You're so Type A.

**And then chuckled at me!!**

Honestly!! Hmph. default_biggrin.png&key=d85818d6e0449b1cd60a6a25b98570205233b343d862d7eb900b5ec8441d0581 Soooooooo... This time tomorrow, they will have submitted my file to the insurance for final approval!! #exciting

Outstanding my Friend! Now on towards Your Surgery!