Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strictures and Burping. Fun stuff. Advice?

I had my one week postop today and I am very dehydrated. I am having trouble swallowing - food and liquid is getting stuck at the bottom of my esophagus before it goes into my stomach. It doesn't come back up. It just sits there for several, long moments and then drops. I am trying to force myself to drink anyways. They said it *could* be a stricture, but it's too early to tell and could just be sensitive from recent surgery. I tried looking up strictures and all I can find are the ones connecting your stomach to intestine. Nothing about your esophagus to your stomach. Is this feeling normal? It happens about 80% of the time.

Second question. I cannot stop burping. It isnt related to me eating or drinking. It is all.the.time. It doesn't happen when I am laying down, but when I am sitting and standing. And I always feel like I have to force it out. I'm not swallowing any air, because it isn't necessarily happening when I am drinking or eating. Is this just the CO2 coming out still?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

I am 2+ months post RNY. If you are having trouble swallowing it sounds like you may need an UGI or endoscopy to see what's happening. Have you contacted your surgeon?

Since the surgery I belch very frequently. I am told it's normal and resolves over time.

Hope this helps.

Feel better.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.
I am 2+ months post RNY. If you are having trouble swallowing it sounds like you may need an UGI or endoscopy to see what's happening. Have you contacted your surgeon?
Since the surgery I belch very frequently. I am told it's normal and resolves over time.
Hope this helps.
Feel better.
Yes, the surgeon said it could be a stricture or it could just be sensitivity while I am healing since it's so soon and they will discuss it again in 3 weeks. But in the meantime I am not getting fluids in so I don't know what to do. I told them all of this. I'm trying to swallow and push through since it's not coming back up.

I'm just wondering if anyone had this issue at first and it went away?

I struggle swallowing but it's mostly meats that give me issues. But I burped a lot in the beginning and now when I burp/hiccup it's when I'm eating and that's the point I know I'm full.

🐭🐯 my BariSister be grateful you can power through , my rotten stricture does not give me that option. For you. and anyone else remotely interested, endoscopy#3 post surgery, able to open more, not enough to effect a cure, but moving ahead. Bad news, ulcers have worsened, now forbidden to be in presence of active smokers or anyone who may have retained active residue, next step bleeding/perforation? And yes sans Carafate and Zofran at proper intervals, I still puke. Good news, have dropped from 295 to 278 in less than a months But Dayum such A WAY to achieve. THIS!🌈👈😝👉

And my next EGJ is scheduled for Wednesday November 28th at 8AM, same BatChannel, same Bat-endoscopist, the procedure people are starting to call me by name not my patient #. Why not, I have been there Every Two Weeks since Early October!

Did your swallowing issue ever resolve? I’ve found I have the same problem. I’m trying to figure out what it is. I spoke to my surgeon about it and she didn’t have any ideas on what it could be.

I had the same problem but mine was because the found I had a hiatal hernia and fixed it so it had to heal. I’m about a month and a half out and I still get backed up sometimes. I also am getting some annoying burps. Not sure why.

Well yes- and- No but I'm still kicking! On the Date alluded to, I was protein- deficit vans malnourished, spent a week in O.S.U.- WEXNER Medical Center incl Columbus- the same hospital I had my surgery in. While there, a PICC line was placed in my Upper Left Arm, to insure I got enough Protein live and heal,bro alleviate my malnourishment I was 12 hours on 12 hours off on a portable feeding pump. 1203 calories daily, almost stalled my weight loss, was down to 3 pounds a month the 3 months I was on it. Had it removed February 26th , which once was my late Mama's birthday, and promptly dropped 39 pounds in the next month, the difference from before, I now could take food again by mouth, albeit Soups, pureed and. Protein Shakes. And then the next month I had an Iron INFUSION in March and I'm still bee- bopping along. The stricture is better, the jejunem although scarred from the ulceration is patent/ open, although Precious Pouch , my little egg-shaped fiend inside is cranky, doesn't like MUCH of the solids and foods I try to send her, still on Zofran to lessen the likelihood of Emesis, between adequate fluids, food and what feels like All the Vitamins and Minerals in the World, I keep on keeping On! As Lebowski in " THE BIG LEBOWSKI " movie said
"I Abide. " Feeling pretty strong, I'm one- half the size I started out at 365+ pounds then, after a year Past Surgery I am now 182, 7 pounds from the Goal I set Myself, way lower than my Surgeon Bradley J Needleman MD and his Head Nurse Practitioner sidekick Valerie expected- they WOULD only forecast 199 pounds for NE because of My Age, and frankly I think They Thought I would lose my motivation, a lot to expect from a now 73 year old but They Didn't know how Bull- Headed Stubborn I AM. Probably will have beat ME with a board to do ME IN, otherwise I plan to enjoy the FUTURE I didn't have BEFORE. I am now as small as I was at High School Graduation 56 years 4 months ago, not even my Late Husband, who has been dead 7 years ever saw ME this Small!
Nobody seems to worry enough to schedule any more Endoscopies, maybe 14 Lifetime is Enough. Dad- burned Nurse-Practioner, not Valerie who is off on Medical Leave but another one of them, told me I am officially " grandfathered" into GOOD Health, inference was If my Bowel or Anything twists inside Me, it isn't Their Fault Anymore. Oh well, I don't have to go back for a Year, so guess they don't want bothered Any More. I'm Not Surgical, I'm Not Interesting to Them! Their Loss, Isn't it! But Thank You For Asking- It Is Nice To Be Remembered, after all! Take Care Yourself!