Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. I was doing great the first few weeks but now at week 5 I’m struggling. Premier Protein shakes were the only way I was getting enough Protein and now they’re upsetting my stomach. My nutritionist is basically useless. After week two they said protein only for 4 days then veggies then advance as tolerated. I think I advanced too fast and everything feels out of whack. Can someone help me get a sense of what I should be eating at week 5? I cannot imagine how I’m going to consume 60grams of protein! I can already see muscle wasting ad I’ve only lost 25 pounds! And OMG the Vitamins are making me nauseous! 😫

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. I was doing great the first few weeks but now at week 5 I’m struggling. Premier Protein shakes were the only way I was getting enough Protein and now they’re upsetting my stomach. My nutritionist is basically useless. After week two they said Protein only for 4 days then veggies then advance as tolerated. I think I advanced too fast and everything feels out of whack. Can someone help me get a sense of what I should be eating at week 5? I cannot imagine how I’m going to consume 60grams of protein! I can already see muscle wasting ad I’ve only lost 25 pounds! And OMG the Vitamins are making me nauseous! [emoji31]
May i suggest trying other brands of shakes or making your own with pritein powder? I use vanilla unsweet almond milk, powder n then whatever i want , lf greek yougurt, PB2, little piece of banana, may be easier on ur stomach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much for replying! I’m afraid I’ve developed a lactose intolerance after my surgery. I did just mix my own Isopure shake and that does seem to be better. I’m going to try a Greek yogurt for lunch and see how that feels. I guess I just need to dial everything waaaaayyy back.

I dont know if this will help but my schedule is slated for 2 weeks pre op liquid, then day of surgery ice chips only, then days 2 and 3 Clear Liquids. the next two weeks is full liquids, then 2 weeks after.. pureed foods..followed in 2 weeks by soft, then full. My point of all this is Week 5 seems to fall into the first of the 2 weeks of soft foods. I dont know for sure since i haven't had the surgery yet, but this is the schedule i received in advance from my surgeon. Hope it helps.

3 minutes ago, Beachladee3 said:

May i suggest trying other brands of shakes or making your own with pritein powder? I use vanilla unsweet almond milk, powder n then whatever i want , lf greek yougurt, PB2, little piece of banana, may be easier on ur stomach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I also received a Protein Shake recipe list from my Dr made with all home made items as stated above. That is another option to help. I totally forgot about that.

Make your own Protein Shakes using Fairlife milk.

Sleeved on April 25, 2018
HW: 258
SW: 238
CW: 195
GW: 165

2 minutes ago, Jazzy1125 said:

I dont know if this will help but my schedule is slated for 2 weeks pre op liquid, then day of surgery ice chips only, then days 2 and 3 Clear Liquids. the next two weeks is full liquids, then 2 weeks after.. pureed foods..followed in 2 weeks by soft, then full. My point of all this is Week 5 seems to fall into the first of the 2 weeks of soft foods. I dont know for sure since i haven't had the surgery yet, but this is the schedule i received in advance from my surgeon. Hope it helps.

Thank you! Super helpful!

Welcome! Sorry you are experiencing this!

Also be aware that sometimes Vitamins can make ya hurl! I always take mine on top of food (after I've eaten). At 5 weeks, I was cleared for anything, with the advice to progress at my own pace--there was no rush.

I supplemented my Protein needs to get between 60-80g per day using protein drinks--I wasn't lactose intolerant though. :( I know there are some good Proteins out there, but if you can handle mushies, I'd try if I was you, to get as much protein in as possible through real food: soft mushy proteins, well-cooked veg. And stick with things you know you tolerate, adding a new thing every few days.

Make sure you are also well-hydrated. Sometimes dehydration can make you nauseated (as can constipation)!! Yikes! So nauseated! But once you clear the block and get really well-hydrated, the nausea can often recede!

Hope that helps!! Post often!

21 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Welcome! Sorry you are experiencing this!

Also be aware that sometimes Vitamins can make ya hurl! I always take mine on top of food (after I've eaten). At 5 weeks, I was cleared for anything, with the advice to progress at my own pace--there was no rush.

I supplemented my Protein needs to get between 60-80g per day using Protein drinks--I wasn't lactose intolerant though. :( I know there are some good Proteins out there, but if you can handle mushies, I'd try if I was you, to get as much protein in as possible through real food: soft mushy Proteins, well-cooked veg. And stick with things you know you tolerate, adding a new thing every few days.

Make sure you are also well-hydrated. Sometimes dehydration can make you nauseated (as can constipation)!! Yikes! So nauseated! But once you clear the block and get really well-hydrated, the nausea can often recede!

Hope that helps!! Post often!

Thank you! Yup my whole GI system is a mess. Don’t want to put anything into it and NOTHING is coming out of it! Fun times! And yes the Vitamins are legitimately the worst part of the entire recovery!

2 minutes ago, Meggie1111 said:

Thank you! Yup my whole GI system is a mess. Don’t want to put anything into it and NOTHING is coming out of it! Fun times! And yes the Vitamins are legitimately the worst part of the entire recovery!

Ok, so there's your cue!!! You are beyond stopped up would be my guess. Time for "colon blow 2000" :) !!!!

But I'd be sure your doc and team know what's going on...cuz it could be SO many things rather than just "simple" Constipation or backup. That's pretty serious stuff if nothing is coming out!!

If it were me:

I'd start with trying MOM (Milk of Magnesia) unless it would nauseate me more...in that case, I'd go for either a Fleet's Enema or a Glycerin Suppository. They work so well for me!

Edited by FluffyChix

1 hour ago, Meggie1111 said:

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. I was doing great the first few weeks but now at week 5 I’m struggling. Premier Protein shakes were the only way I was getting enough Protein and now they’re upsetting my stomach. My nutritionist is basically useless. After week two they said Protein only for 4 days then veggies then advance as tolerated. I think I advanced too fast and everything feels out of whack. Can someone help me get a sense of what I should be eating at week 5? I cannot imagine how I’m going to consume 60grams of protein! I can already see muscle wasting ad I’ve only lost 25 pounds! And OMG the Vitamins are making me nauseous! 😫

Ok, for the protein, look for Proteins that have ONLY protein isolates, protein concentrates contain a lot more lactose than milk does, isolates have little to no lactose.

Muscle atrophy takes weeks to months, it's possible what you are seeing is visceral fat loss making it appear as if it's atrophy. Speaking from personal experience on this one, my muscles appear to have gotten weaker with my weight loss, however that's just not the case, I'm stronger from working out, there is just less fat in and around my muscle making them *appear* smaller.

Have you looked into other Vitamins? Or another nutritionist?

What surgery did you have?

And how's that Water intake? Water is so important to weight loss and healing it's not even funny how important it is!

Edited by Matt Z

At five weeks I was plain yogurt and berries in the morning, chewable vitamins only or go to the patch. broth, cottage cheese, string cheese. Water, water, water ! sleep, rest heal, don’t worry. Everything will be fine. I’m at 7 months, 149 lbs. down and feeling like a million dollars, riding a bike 10 miles every day. I had major hernia surgery at the same time as my bypass Bariatric surgery. I was a mess. You will be fine, get your stomach right and everything else will follow.

Hi there! I'm 7 weeks post op and week 5 was KILLER!!! I literally spat out Protein Shake cause I couldn't take it my more. Turns out - dehydration. Got some iv fluids and everything got better immediately. Take care of yourself!! Hope this phase passes quickly for you. It gets better!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app