Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick and thirsty and regretting

I’m ab three weeks out and I’m having a hard time. I’m tired all the time, it’s hard to eat anything! I feel like most things sit in my tummy for hours ! I randomly woke up Sunday and couldn’t keep a thing down not even Water. Speaking of water... I’m SO THIRSTY!!! The small sips aren’t doing anything and after a few sips I’m feeling a “sick feeling”. Before surgery I drank a lot of sparkling water which I know I can’t have. All I wanna do is use a straw and guzzle down some ice cold water but I can’t and I’m so frustrated! Regretting this at this point.. even though I’m 37!lbs. is it worth it if I’m feeling like the walking dead? Sorry for the rant I’ve just had it

You got this. Looking at your picture, you are gorgeous and it can only get better from here. Just try to stay positive and keep sipping. If you feel too dehydrated, there's always IV fluids. You will get passed the hard part and become a better you because of it.

7 hours ago, smm86 said:

I’m ab three weeks out and I’m having a hard time. I’m tired all the time, it’s hard to eat anything! I feel like most things sit in my tummy for hours ! I randomly woke up Sunday and couldn’t keep a thing down not even Water. Speaking of water... I’m SO THIRSTY!!! The small sips aren’t doing anything and after a few sips I’m feeling a “sick feeling”. Before surgery I drank a lot of sparkling Water which I know I can’t have. All I wanna do is use a straw and guzzle down some ice cold water but I can’t and I’m so frustrated! Regretting this at this point.. even though I’m 37!lbs. is it worth it if I’m feeling like the walking dead? Sorry for the rant I’ve just had it

Rant away,

Feeling regret or buys remorse can be a normal emotion. Take things slow and give yourself time to heal. Know that things will not be like this forever. Congratulations on 37 down.

10 hours ago, smm86 said:

I’m ab three weeks out and I’m having a hard time. I’m tired all the time, it’s hard to eat anything! I feel like most things sit in my tummy for hours ! I randomly woke up Sunday and couldn’t keep a thing down not even Water. Speaking of water... I’m SO THIRSTY!!! The small sips aren’t doing anything and after a few sips I’m feeling a “sick feeling”. Before surgery I drank a lot of sparkling Water which I know I can’t have. All I wanna do is use a straw and guzzle down some ice cold water but I can’t and I’m so frustrated! Regretting this at this point.. even though I’m 37!lbs. is it worth it if I’m feeling like the walking dead? Sorry for the rant I’ve just had it

Are you supposed to be eating 3 weeks out? Almost all post-op diet's I've seen for Sleeved patients is liquids only for a month. With the water, try adjusting the temperature and taste with sugar free flavorings. Water "texture" intolerance is fairly common post op, at least until you are fully healed. Check out some of the Protein water style Proteins that are clear, these fit into your clear phase and provide you with protein when you can't consume full liquids or actual foods. Might help you out. Have you been in contact with your surgical team about the issues you are having? If not, please do so!

On 10/17/2018 at 06:21, Matt Z said:

Are you supposed to be eating 3 weeks out? Almost all post-op diet's I've seen for Sleeved patients is liquids only for a month. With the Water, try adjusting the temperature and taste with sugar free flavorings. Water "texture" intolerance is fairly common post op, at least until you are fully healed. Check out some of the Protein water style Proteins that are clear, these fit into your clear phase and provide you with Protein when you can't consume full liquids or actual foods. Might help you out. Have you been in contact with your surgical team about the issues you are having? If not, please do so!

Yes! Perhaps my body isn’t ready. Last week I was cleared for “soft foods” like eggs. This week I was cleared to try seafood or shellfish. Next week I’m supposed to try chicken and turkey, the week after pork and beef. The thought of all that stuff makes me want to drop dead. Honestly all I want is cold water, a fruit smoothie and fresh fruit but my plan doesn’t allow fruit yet. Since I’ve been feeling sick my doctor told me to go back to liquids.

On 10/17/2018 at 00:33, Ed_NW said:

You got this. Looking at your picture, you are gorgeous and it can only get better from here. Just try to stay positive and keep sipping. If you feel too dehydrated, there's always IV fluids. You will get passed the hard part and become a better you because of it.

Thank you so much !!! Appreciate the kind words.

On 10/17/2018 at 03:55, skinnylife said:

Rant away,

Feeling regret or buys remorse can be a normal emotion. Take things slow and give yourself time to heal. Know that things will not be like this forever. Congratulations on 37 down.

Thanks you so much! Trying to just go day by day.

Rant away, I felt exactly the same way you did...I promise it gets better...the best thing that helped me then and even now was sugar free ice pops, I was getting Fluid and it didn’t hurt I ate like 3/4 a day...good luck you got this xo

popsicles, sugar free popsicles, the tropical ones. Still having a couple a day, much longer since my surgery but having to go slow because of a stricture. They please when straight liquid doesnt!

The first month after surgery is by far the worst. It gets so much better after that. Just hang in there, and it will get easier.

On 10/16/2018 at 17:06, smm86 said:

You sound just like every other noob right after surgery. Everyone has buyers remorse and they question the decision. It’s too late now, you can’t get that 80% of your stomach put back in. Now you have to learn to live with your new stomach. It will get easier it just takes some time. Be grateful you have lost so much weight because eventually the weight loss will stop.

Well, as a RNY instead, I do still have my stomach, I instead asked my surgeon to make it largely non-functional. Does this give me a leg up. on sleevers? I'm not certain it does. At 6 weeks if I regret something it is the fact that I never feel full and never satisfied. I take in what I can, stop after designated amounts, try to keep all my counts proper, sufficent Fluid, adequate Protein, pray that my still meagre liquid diet is providing me sufficent calories to keep me until another day. But my skin is now dry and leathery, my lips are perpetually cracked, I keep ingesting Vitamins, minerals, omeprazole, Zofran and Carafate, is it benefiting me or just something to keep me busy? I do not looks forward to losing my hair, although it is probably inevitable. Obesity was slowly killing me, but did I merely trade it. for malabsorption, dehydration and a deficiency diet? Is there any. guarantee I have not jumped from the frying pan into the 🔥? I know of no other bypass veteran in my city of 20,000, I had to travel 50 miles to even find a bariatric surgeon. I have not seen him since shortly after my surgery, I am palmed off on Nurse-Practioners now,nice enough people but are they giving true consul or merely mouthing the company line?
Walking the walk? I do try but when you are light-headed it's not very easy. Try to keep my exercise at the level I don't pop tendons, rear ligaments, these muscles and. bones have to last the rest of my life. Have already repalaced a few joints, but they are 85% as good as the natural thing. I do not know if I have buyers remiss but at this point I do question the outlay of my insurances monies for this operation. I now have 7 small scars, was it the right trade-off? I have sacrificed myself but have I improved life, health and my future? At this point, IDK, I just don't know.😪💦😪

I hear what you are saying. Now I have a huge medical bill that I will never be able to pay off. I lost 110 pounds but have since put 20 back on. Was it worth it? I think so, I don’t think I could have lost 90 pounds on my own. At any rate, I wish I had done things a little differently. However, hindsight is 20/20 as they say.