Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m in Alabama, it’s EXTREMELY hot and humid here most of the year. So it’s hard to go outside and walk (I’m still too heavy to work out hard), so I’m walking indoors in the mornings before I go to work, just walking around my home. I do it for at least 30 minutes but it’s not really helping my weight loss. I am eating healthy and losing weight slowly by my diet alone, but I’ve GOT to start some exercise regimen that pushes me past that point on the scale before I lose my momentum and fall back into bad habits. I feel like the walking would help speed up my weight loss a little, but walking in the house is not really giving me a “sweat” workout. I got laid off from my job and that means no $ for gym membership. Any advice?

You can walk in the mall, it's air conditioned environment plus window shopping. You can walk at home while watching Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home videos on YouTube. Another option is dancing in front of a mirror at home. All 3 options are free of charge. I lost 19lb doing that 3yrs ago. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Look up Leslie Sansone on youtube. There are some of her videos on there. (Or you can buy them on Amazon or Walmart). She has a program that is called Walk at Home and it guides you though taking the number of steps in whatever the # of miles you choose. I think it's a good way to get started on exercise.

Before I had a gym membership I got a couple exercise DVDs to do. I had a couple of "The Biggest Loser" workouts with Jillian Michaels and the guy, Bob something-or-other. You can check to see if they lend DVDs at your local library, or they are probably pretty inexpensive if you look on eBay or somewhere similar. I got a good workout from them.

1 minute ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

Before I had a gym membership I got a couple exercise DVDs to do. I had a couple of "The Biggest Loser" workouts with Jillian Michaels and the guy, Bob something-or-other. You can check to see if they lend DVDs at your local library, or they are probably pretty inexpensive if you look on eBay or somewhere similar. I got a good workout from them.

I bought the same DVDs in he dollar store!

41 minutes ago, Dthomas4505 said:

I’m in Alabama, it’s EXTREMELY hot and humid here most of the year. So it’s hard to go outside and walk (I’m still too heavy to work out hard), so I’m walking indoors in the mornings before I go to work, just walking around my home. I do it for at least 30 minutes but it’s not really helping my weight loss. I am eating healthy and losing weight slowly by my diet alone, but I’ve GOT to start some exercise regimen that pushes me past that point on the scale before I lose my momentum and fall back into bad habits. I feel like the walking would help speed up my weight loss a little, but walking in the house is not really giving me a “sweat” workout. I got laid off from my job and that means no $ for gym membership. Any advice?

I feel for you that Alabama heat is oppressive. Up and down stairs can help, sitting and standing constantly, kneeling to standing etc. But YouTube is going to be a great resource.

You can also look at Youtube for "chair exercises". You would be amazed how much sweat you can produce sitting in a chair!

Sorry to hear you've been laid off, do you still get up at the same time? I get up at 5:45 and walk a mile around my neighborhood before the sun comes up. Then I get ready for work. I live in Texas, so I get the heat issue.

Totally get the heat issue. I'm in Texas. We were over 100 degrees for a couple weeks in July, it was certainly hard to motivate myself to walk in THAT.

I walk in the underground parking garage at my office and although it can get a little hot/muggy when the temperature outside is in the mid to upper 90's, the lowest floor is actually pretty comfortable (and mostlyempty).

I like the idea someone else had above about walking in the mall. It's free other than the transportation to/from and it will get you out of the house.

You can also usually find a treadmill or other exercise equipment on Craigslist of cheap, or even free if you'll pick it up.

Seconding the Leslie Sansone recommendation! Here is her YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

This is probably her easiest video: https://www.amazon.com/Start-Walking-Home-Leslie-Sansone/dp/B003HC9JIW

She has a big range of difficulties--some of them get pretty hardcore--but even in the harder ones, she's very reassuring during them and says things like "if you can't do the fancy steps, it's OK to just walk to the music!" People who don't like her generally feel like she's a little saccharine--just too chirpy and upbeat--and while usually that kind of thing annoys me (I mean, I am a very cranky magpie), she hits just the right level of pep and positivity, to keep me going.

I have pretty bad plantar fasciitis right now and can't do her videos without messing my feet up. I'm looking forward to starting back up with them after I've lost enough weight that my feet aren't so messed up!

Edited by CrankyMagpie
slight change of wording, same content :)