Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My nutritionist said my Protein goal post surgery is 60-80 grams a day. From what I gather from reading posts here it seems like most people try to get in at least 100. I am pre-surgery and drinking a shake every day to try and get used to them, but good gravy, they are nasty, and they make me feel bloated and gross. I am hoping that once I get to the solid food stage I can limit the shakes, and just get protein through fish and eggs and such, which seems possible for 60 grams but not for 100. What are your protein goals, and why have you settled on them, and how do you reach them?

I was directed by my surgeon to take 75-90 grams of Protein per day.

Your taste buds may change after surgery. Many experience problems drinking Protein Shakes. I hated them. But in the beginning I drank them, three 16-ounce protein shakes a day, in order to meet my protein requirements. You do not have to like protein shakes only tolerate them. There are many varieties of protein shakes available today. Experiment until you can find one you can tolerate. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, Hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediate post op, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

Several months after surgery, you may be able to transition to Protein Bars as your protein supplement. I found Quest protein bars to be good. A Quest Protein Bar contains 220 calories and provides 21 grams of protein. A Muscle Milk Light Protein Shake [2 scoops of powder in a 16 ounce glass] contains 210 calories and provides 25 grams of protein. So they are comparable.

As your meal volume increases over time after surgery, you may be able to eliminate protein shakes from your diet provided you concentrate on consuming high protein meals.

Most people are into overkill, lol. There does seem to be some over-emphasis on Protein in the bariatric world because early on that is what we need most - we can get by without most Vitamins and minerals (pills do good for that, for a while at least), our bodies will make the sugars and carbohydrates that it need (though it may not like it) and we already have all the fat that we need, but protein can't be converted from anything else. There are some "high protein" diets in the weight loss diet world but they are just another alternative to all the other low carb and low fat diets that don't work any better, but some get into them, particularly those who don't like their vegetables,

Our needs vary, largely based upon how much lean body mass we have (largely musculature and organs) so that a taller man needs more protein than a shorter woman. Figures, methods and opinions on figuring out how much protein we need vary, but generally fall into the same ballpark. I use a method based upon maintenance of lean mass as being sensible and gives results that fall within most sane guidelines - my 150 or so lb of lean mass needs around 105g per day, as a 5 ft woman (presumably....) your lean mass will likely be around 75-80 lb, so about half of my needs, or a little over 50g - call it 60 to be on the safe side. Most bariatric programs recommend around 60-80g for women and 80-100g for men as a baseline.

If one is seriously intent on increasing muscle mass (and most importantly - doing the work to do so - protein needs can go up by 50% or more. Likewise, recovering from major trauma such as major surgery or big time burns can require a 50% or so boost in protein to promote healing. The matter that most bariatric programs are where they are on protein recommendations, and have been there for years, indicates that the surgery that we are undergoing is not all that major from an overall healing or trauma perspective; plastics or reconstruction surgery is much more traumatic to the body and they usually recommend higher protein levels for those.

So - I exercise a lot - I fence (en garde) 6 hours a week and spend about another 6 in the gym, including serious weightlifting (I just back squatted 215 pounds and front 165. I can deadlift 190.) I'm working to build muscle and get rid of fat. I'm 2 years post surgery. My goal is about 120 g Protein daily. Once you develop a plan, it's not that hard -

Breakfast - shake/smoothie - 8 ounces Fairlife skim milk, scoop of Protein Powder, 2 tablespoons Oikos triple zero vanilla yogurt and 3/4 cup frozen tropical fruit. 270 cal, 38g protein

AM snack - 1 5.3ounce container Oikos triple zero yogurt - 120 calories - 15 grams protein

lunch - 4 ounces of chicken breast chopped and mixed with 1 tablespoon of pesto - 147 calories 29 grams protein plus some salad greens with a little balsamic dressing

Afternoon snack - deli ham and cheese roll ups - 4 slices deli ham, four slices deli cheese (provolone) - 17 g, 160 calories

So before dinner - I'm at 99 grams -- If I have 5 ounces of fish or shrimp with zucchini noodles done sort of scampi style (32 grams of protein) and I'm at about 1,000 calories. I do add some carbs in because I need them for muscle healing, but I exercise probably 1200 calories a day.

FWIW - I'm 57 years old, 5'3" and 155 pounds right now. I haven't had plastics done so I'm carrying about 10 pounds of skin and fat that will only come off when I have plastics. My bariatric team and my medical trainers are all good with what I'm doing.

Thank you for all of your responses. These forums are so helpful and I am learning a lot and I'm starting to think I will be successful. It really helps to see your everyday real menus and macros. Thank you all so much.

Just after surgery my goal was at 60 g, took three shakes a day.

Three months later I upped my calories at 700-800, and Protein 80 - 100 grams. I still drink one shake a day, but I could go without it.

I think 60 is much more common, that is my goal.

As @RickM said "people are into overkill"