Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Broth recommendations? Not a fan of it

I'm not a fan of broth at all, but I need to have it on hand when I start my liquid pre-op next week. Anyone have any recommendations on any good ones or ones to avoid?

I personally HATE canned broth plain. I suggest either making your own or at least doctoring up the store bought broth in a crockpot with veggies and spices then straining it. Also alot of people freeze it in ice cube trays then put the cubes in a freezer bag so you can just take out a serving at a time.

Bone broth is superior to regular broth. Regular broths and stocks don’t contain as much collagen or any of the other nutrients found in Bone Broth. It's available in small shelf-safe packaging for convenience. I've found beef, chicken, and turkey bone broth.

I also like to buy non-dairy milks (coconut, macadamia, almond...) in shelf-safe packaging so it's ready to mix with my Protein Powder. Who wants to head out for groceries pre- or post-surgery?

Have your Protein powder, bone broth, non-dairy milks, non-fat milk, sugar-free Jell-o cups, and sugar-free popsicles ready. Talk to your doctor about which Vitamins you might want to start taking before your surgery.

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 8.33.55 PM.png

Thanks for the ideas! I didn't think about the non-dairy milks. I need to add those to my list. I need to put my instant-pot to work this week and have some broth pre-prepared and in the freezer.

I add taco seasoning to my beef broth (I use better than bouillon) and it’s delicious! I was surprised!

On 7/21/2018 at 7:02 PM, Imanewme said:

I'm not a fan of broth at all, but I need to have it on hand when I start my liquid pre-op next week. Anyone have any recommendations on any good ones or ones to avoid?

Just curious why you "have" to have it? I'm not a fan either, and I didn't consume any at all during my pre-op, even though it was an option on my list.

2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Just curious why you "have" to have it? I'm not a fan either, and I didn't consume any at all during my pre-op, even though it was an option on my list.

I suppose since it is an option, I don't have to have it. However, my dietitian highly recommended it. I'll see how I feel about it later this week when I start my liquids! ;)

On 07/23/2018 at 17:50, Imanewme said:

I suppose since it is an option, I don't have to have it. However, my dietitian highly recommended it. I'll see how I feel about it later this week when I start my liquids! ;)

I’m really enjoying my once a day Protein Water from Premir protein. That’s something you can drink on the liquid diet. I bought the protein Jello and it tastes horrible lol luckily I won’t be able to eat much of it...if I even try. There’s P20 water too.

Oh my gosh.....Costco has the best Bone Broth ever! It's got some "volume" to it. Almost like sipping a thin gravy. So yummy and full of Protein and very satisfying. I bring it to work and my boss, who weighs 140 soaking wet, can't keep her hands off of it.

I had to postpone my surgery in December 2017 because I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease a month before my surgery and needed to get that under control first. I'm back on schedule for surgery in October and working pre and post op meal into my daily routine. Bone broth has been a lifesaver.

Try a few different brands to find the one that works best for you.

Good luck

On 07/24/2018 at 16:22, tahoegirl96118 said:

Oh my gosh.....Costco has the best bone broth ever! It's got some "volume" to it. Almost like sipping a thin gravy. So yummy and full of Protein and very satisfying. I bring it to work and my boss, who weighs 140 soaking wet, can't keep her hands off of it.

I had to postpone my surgery in December 2017 because I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease a month before my surgery and needed to get that under control first. I'm back on schedule for surgery in October and working pre and post op meal into my daily routine. Bone Broth has been a lifesaver.

Try a few different brands to find the one that works best for you.

Good luck

What’s name of it?

I did what @Chrisb428 suggested and doctored my Bone Broth up after the 1st time I used it. It had some flavor but was still too bland for my liking. The 2nd batch I boiled it and added garlic, carrots and onions, toward the end I added onion powder and garlic powder. It tasted really good. The next batch I made was with plain chicken stock and it did not work at all it was just too bland. Wound up mixing it with a box of bone broth and added more of everything. Tasted ok but a bit watered down due to the chicken broth. Still better than straight from the box.

Kitchen Accomplice is my favorite. To me it tastes just like the broth from Campbell's chicken Noodle!

@tahoegirl96118 what brand is it that you buy at costco?

Bone Broth with extra bouillon to flavor it more. broth sucks unless well seasoned . Season or more