Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

YouTube channel Duc V. Vuong a.k.a. Dr. V.

Have any of you watched any of his videos? I'm sure some or alot have. I had seen a video a few months back but wasn't as informed as I am now. I watched a few more today and agree with some of the things he teaches but other things are completely off from what I have been taught and what I've learned here about WLS dieting. One in particular that I watched today is labeled "The Dr. V Diet" . If you can, check it out and let me know what you think. It's over 30 minutes but he is very entertaining, so it goes by quick. Do any of you follow his practices or similar ones and how are they working out for you?

No one is as smart as that conceited asshat thinks he is. Dude stinks of gimmicks and self-grandiose rhetoric that really excellent doctors wince at (have seen them wince).

He's not even accredited by the board of bariatric surgeons and he's not well thought of by doctors who are. He's not well thought of by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons.

He's a general laparoscopic surgeon who thinks he knows everything about Bariatrics...and he pulls most of what he presents as fact....directly out of his arse.

Not a fan.

The dude is reality TV material. He's a fad writer. He is not someone I'd trust my health to.

Edited by Creekimp13

Board certification should be one of your top considerations when choosing a doctor. Board certification is an official recognition given to doctors who have met specific requirements set by national medical specialty boards in the United States.

Board certification indicates that a doctor is highly qualified in the medical field in which he or she practices. A board-certified doctor is more likely than a non-board-certified doctor to have the most current skills and knowledge about how to treat your medical condition.

Dr. Vuong has zero board certifications. Nada. None. But he has a TON of Facebook posts! And he's very passionate about his own expertise and likes to call himself an internationally known expert.

No thanks...

I guess you thought his green idea was a bit BS huh?

Thanks for the info. He seemed a bit odd and his intro of himself fits your profile pretty well. I know nothing about the guy and wondered why he would preach something so strongly against what everyone else seems to be following. I wonder how successful his patients are following his program.

BTW, hope I never get on your bad side. Would hate to hear you **** on me. LOL

I promise never to **** on you. LOL

That said....I don't blow a lot of sunshine up anyone's skirt....who asks for my honest opinion. It's nothing against you that I can't stand the guy. Opinions will vary. It's totally ok if they do.

One of my bigger pet peeves in life.....are health professionals who don't get the required education for accreditation, who don't do peer reviewed continuing education....who declare themselves "experts". Charisma and confidence are NOT intelligence or competence.

I think these kinds of doctors are dangerous and reckless. Better suited for reality TV than medicine.

I'm not saying "Dr. V" is wrong about everything...and it's totally ok if you like him and his stuff makes sense to you. I know people who worship him.

I just think people need to be aware that he doesn't go the extra mile professionally....and that no matter how charismatic and certain you are of your own BS....if you can't prove it at the end of the day in a peer reviewed setting, if you are not interested in listening to other experts in your field, and if you're not open to learning from others, or if you're not interested in being present as new information emerges, or discussing new developments with others in your field.......how smart can you be?

Edited by Creekimp13

One of my pet peeves is when people blow sunshine up my skirt..... Wait, What..... haha.

I appreciate honest answers. I know nothing about the guy other than the videos I watched, which HE put out. His own introduction of internationally known expert made me chuckle but he seems sincere on what he is preaching. If I knew everything about nutrition and dieting I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in.

Board certs or not I don't generally just go with what dr's tell me as all truth. With the amount of times we hear things changing up...."This is bad for your health" and than 5 or 10 or however many years later, We take that back "This is good for your health". Or hey you shouldn't do that it's bad for your health, but you have this problem and you should take this. It will cure your condition but it may cause these other conditions or have all these thousands of side affects.

Who knows? It's why I ask.

I would prefer sunshine up my skirt to cold Water being dumped on my head!💦Oh well We get what we get!

On 6/30/2018 at 12:49 AM, Creekimp13 said:

No one is as smart as that conceited asshat thinks he is. Dude stinks of gimmicks and self-grandiose rhetoric that really excellent doctors wince at (have seen them wince).

He's not even accredited by the board of bariatric surgeons and he's not well thought of by doctors who are. He's not well thought of by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons.

He's a general laparoscopic surgeon who thinks he knows everything about Bariatrics...and he pulls most of what he presents as fact....directly out of his arse.

Not a fan.

The dude is reality TV material. He's a fad writer. He is not someone I'd trust my health to.

This is the is the information I was looking for...when it seems to good to be true, it probably is! I spent my first liquid day watching his videos back to back today. I gain a lot of new information, but it is not the same as I hear from my own doctor..

Just because he does things differently doesn't mean he's absolutely wrong. He has patients and who knows how many are succussful or otherwise. He has different views, but almost every program has differences from one to another. Not saying he's right but you never know. It's just this guy is wayyyyy off from what the norm is so you have to wonder and question. I do think he's entertaining if it turns out he's way off base on his suggested program.

4 minutes ago, J San said:

Just because he does things differently doesn't mean he's absolutely wrong. He has patients and who knows how many are succussful or otherwise. He has different views, but almost every program has differences from one to another. Not saying he's right but you never know. It's just this guy is wayyyyy off from what the norm is so you have to wonder and question. I do think he's entertaining if it turns out he's way off base on his suggested program.

I'm enjoying his approach and am anxious to see if I an adapt some of his ways, such as the texture scale for eating.

The only info I gleaned from watching his YouTube was to incorporate more plant life into your diet, which my team advocates also, other than that I think he may be a great gateway tool for people that are just casually thinking about surgery, when you are serious you visit an actual surgeon and follow them

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

Yeah, liked the texture scale. He does have some interesting ideas. They guy is smarter than I am so who am I to argue with his ideas. Like I said some of the things he preaches make you wonder but I don't believe everything any doctor preaches anyway.

Some of his ideas make sense.

And he's entertaining, but my team is solely responsible for my care, so I consult them about everything

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167