Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am at my first post op appt and had to log my diet. I had two tbl spoons of mash potatoes and wow that was a no no! Lol

She said of it hasn't once had a heartbeat don't eat it!! She said they would sabotage my weight lose. So glad I only had very little.

But on a good note I have lost 13 lbs since surgery 10 days ago!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Mashed potatoes are part of MANY approved post-op plans. I ate a ton of them. Didn't hinder my weight loss at all.

We are at the mercy of an emerging science...doctors and nutritionists have their own ideas and prejudices...but the hard science has yet to written for these very grey waters.

Best to work with your group and follow their instructions. but be careful about believing you have the one answer for all....because chances are pretty good none of us do:)

So you can't eat anything plant based and presumably only poultry, meat or fish, though I guess bugs and the like are okay? I assume humans are off the table though (sorry being a little facetious).

That's sounds... Cruel and I'm not a PETA person or super vegan by any means. But putting it that way would make me distrust the info. Alas, trust your team but advocate for the lifestyle you ultimately want to live which should have heartless plants in there...

Edited by Tealael

LOL...Careful, I eat bugs:) (My daughter is going to grad school to be a medical entomologist) They're actually a terrific source of protien and fiber:) Great in protien pancakes with cinnamon, or oatmeal. Sort of an almondy flavor.

cricket powder.jpg

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

LOL...Careful, I eat bugs:) (My daughter is going to grad school to be a medical entomologist) They're actually a terrific source of protien and fiber:) Great in protien pancakes with cinnamon, or oatmeal. Sort of an almondy flavor.

cricket powder.jpg

This I could actually eat...

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

cricket powder.jpg

Wow! LOL. Where would you buy that? Do they taste meaty? Crunchy? I just have this image of having Cricket legs in my teeth. Lol

The crickets are washed and freeze dried...and ground into a fine powder (No legs, I promise). I won't lie, it's a little gritty...but not too bad. I don't have any issue with adding a scoop to oatmeal or smoothies or recipes. Eating it plain is a little bit like licking a lawn mower...with sort of a nutty flavor under the grassy taste. Works good in veggie Soup to punch up the protein:) Tastes good in herbed meat dishes, too.

You can get it on Amazon.

Edited by Creekimp13

16 minutes ago, 2shea said:

So you can't eat anything plant based and presumably only poultry, meat or fish, though I guess bugs and the like are okay? I assume humans are off the table though (sorry being a little facetious).

Hopefully cannibalism is off the menu! Lol

2 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

The crickets are washed and freeze dried...and ground into a fine powder. I won't lie, it's a little gritty...but not too bad. I don't have any issue with adding a scoop to oatmeal or smoothies or recipes. Eating it plain is a little bit like licking a lawn mower...with sort of a nutty flavor under the grassy taste. Works good in veggie Soup to punch up the protein:) Tastes good in herbed meat dishes, too.

You can get it on Amazon.

May have to try. Thank u!

7 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

They're actually a terrific source of protien and fiber:)

Not that I would be queuing up to buy it, but the Protein is pretty good I see, nearly 14gms for every 20gms though there wasn't a fibre count on the nutritional panel. Even more interesting the crickets are farmed and processed in Australia for that brand.

https://ediblebugshop.com.au/products/vitabug-cricket-protein-powder

Our VitaBug Cricket Protein Powder has been specially created to provide a fantastic source of environmentally sustainable, digestable protein. We have spent years formulating a special diet to feed our crickets, so that each mouthful contains as many essential nutrients as possible. The result is a 100% natural protein product, which contains 100% ground crickets...and nothing else!

Our Crickets are farmed and processed right here in Australia! And contain the only species of crickets approved for human consumption by FSANZ.

The Cricket Protein Powder is specially dried and milled so that it is as fine as regular flour. The resulting powder is very versatile and can be used to add extra nutrients to many sweet and savoury dishes.

This product comes in a resealable stand up pouch with 10 x 20g serves

Each 20g serve of cricket super powder contains over 13g of digestible protein as well as Calcium, Iron and heaps of other essential micronutrients. It also has lots of B12 and B2 Vitamins and 3 times the amount of Omega 3 as salmon. It also has no added salt and no added sugar.

Take a look at our recipes section for ideas on how to use the cricket powder in your everyday cooking.

Please note: This product does not contain GLUTEN, so can not be used in replacement of wheat flour.

Our Cricket Super Powder is suitable for Paleo, natural and GF diets

Ingredients: Crickets (SHELLFISH) 100%

Allergen Information: People who have a SHELLFISH allergy should not eat edible insects. You can have a similar reaction.

All the products from the edible bug shop includes milk chocolate and mealworms (acceptable because it had a heartbeat once) and roasted mealworms with saltbush and rosemary, along with dehydrated ants :)

https://ediblebugshop.com.au/collections/all

24 minutes ago, 2shea said:

All the products from the edible bug shop includes milk chocolate and mealworms (acceptable because it had a heartbeat once) and roasted mealworms with saltbush and rosemary, along with dehydrated ants :)

https://ediblebugshop.com.au/collections/all

Haha! Who knows? Might be yummy!

May have to try it just to say I did.

I have heard good reviews of cricket powder, but the thought does give me a little bit of the heebs lol.
I was always told no to mashed potatoes. No real nutritional value for a low carb, high Protein diet.
When I had my first surgery in 2014, a nurse let me have cream of potato Soup and my surgeon came in and got so mad that it was even an option. Let’s just say it is no longer on any menu lol.

33 minutes ago, Kimber628 said:

No real nutritional value for a low carb, high Protein diet.

Not all of us eat low carb diets:)

We all get 60+ grams of Protein. But a growing number of bariatric patients eat Beans, whole grains, potatoes, seeds, soy and other protien rich lower glycemic index carbs. (most will avoid sugar and processed carbs)

Also....cream of potato Soup was highly recommended by my surgeon because it's extremely gentle on a healing stomach. It's a go-to food for gut surgery recovery. Also, potatoes do have a decent amount of protein and dietary Fiber.

Again....not all of us are on the same diet. Lot of ways up the mountain:)

I know it's confusing that not all doctors and nutritionists follow the same plan....but they very truly...don't.

Edited by Creekimp13