Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any regrets and vitamins

NO Regrets! I get my Vitamins from my surgeons office. They may charge a little more but if the surgeon's office sells them they must be good. The name on the bottle is Journey (I think they are produced locally).

These are the Vitamins I buy from Costco:

1. One A Day Women’s 50+ Healthy Advantage multi Vitamin - I buy this one because it does not contain Iron, which is important because most/all multis contain Calcium. TIP: if you take iron and calcium together you will NOT absorb much of or any of either mineral; therefore, it is best to take them separately for proper supplementation. I take 2 pills a day - 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner.

2. Citracal Maximum Calcium Supplement - contains calcium citrate, which is THE recommended calcium to take post-WLS, and D3.

3. Kirkland C chewable

4. Kirkland B12 sublingual - this is the preferred way to take B12 after gastric bypass as pill form will not be absorbed adequately.

I also take Proferrin heme iron, which I buy from www.proferrin.com. Heme iron has the least side effects and absorbs better than other types of iron, which is worth the extra cost imo.

Make sure you’re getting complete labs/blood tests at least once a year to monitor vitamin deficiencies and to see if you need to make any changes to your current vitamins & doses. Also track trends from year to year, so if values start going down you can make changes before getting too low. It is harder to build up from abnormal levels than to tweak small downward changes. This is one of the most important things to do post-op, for a LIFETIME, as bariatric surgery changes your plumbing so increases nutritional risks, which could lead to serious health problems if not addressed in a timely manner.

Lastly, one size does not fit all. Our vitamin requirements are not all the same. The only way to determine/confirm your regimen is through labwork and medical guidance.

Edited by MarinaGirl

9 hours ago, lessismore1001 said:

Hi All,

2 questions...

1. Anyone have any regrets about getting the RNY (besides not getting it sooner..)...?

2. Recommended Vitamins from costco?

1. No regrets at all.

2. My Vitamins aren't from Costo, but I think they are relatively cheap compared to most bariatric vitamins. Also, only 1 pill a day. These are swallow pills, in case you are still chewing. The pic below is a 90 day supply, so its $15 a month.

IMG_2679.JPG.0f22a382f3998a82297fb8df028caa3d.JPGIMG_2680.JPG.1c8ff0de1e6e1e6b7969e86f8bf35a8b.JPG

On 06/22/2018 at 08:10, AshAsh1 said:

1. No regrets at all.

2. My Vitamins aren't from Costo, but I think they are relatively cheap compared to most bariatric Vitamins. Also, only 1 pill a day. These are swallow pills, in case you are still chewing. The pic below is a 90 day supply, so its $15 a month.

IMG_2679.JPG.0f22a382f3998a82297fb8df028caa3d.JPGIMG_2680.JPG.1c8ff0de1e6e1e6b7969e86f8bf35a8b.JPG

Do these have Calcium as well? I looked them up but didn’t see calcium? From what I have been told we have to separate Iron and calcium.......Did your nutritionist ok these.....I love the one pill idea!

On 06/23/2018 at 00:41, chattycat said:

Do these have Calcium as well? I looked them up but didn’t see Calcium? From what I have been told we have to separate Iron and calcium.......Did your nutritionist ok these.....I love the one pill idea!
You have to take calcium separately. I take the calcium and Vitamin D combo tabs sep in the morning. Sorry I should have mentioned that!

On 06/23/2018 at 00:41, chattycat said:

Do these have Calcium as well? I looked them up but didn’t see Calcium? From what I have been told we have to separate Iron and calcium.......Did your nutritionist ok these.....I love the one pill idea!
Yes my surgeon approved this Vitamin.

Good Morning All. Still pre-RnY but have something else to share. I'm yodellng my yodel, honking my horn, ring my bell, whatever. I discovered something new to add to the Vitamin lineup. It is called Wellesse Calcium and Vitamin D and is a,liquid. shake it up and it tastes like a melted orange push-up treat. Containes calcium citrate our form of choice for calcium 500 units, Vitamin D 500 units and Magnesium 20 mg, color is from fruit/vegetable,so no artificial, no sugar, less than 1gr sugar alcohols and 125 mcg Boron. Cost me less than $10 at Walmart, so I imagine Meijier and Target might have it also. I've been a looking for Calcium Citrate pills every since my,preoprative lab results came back and I did have some vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Happened across this and so far I'm liking it. Like I said in another posting I'm now,on prenatal Vitamins for the Fe(iron for you non- chemists) content. Wow, I got a few raised up eyebrows for that, I'm 72, not a typical prenatal,vitamins ingester! Doing pretty good,withbthat and my itty,bitty Vitamin A pills as long as they don't get lost,in the rug pile bouncing away. Yes it is the 2000s but my rug is still a " flower child" poor old thing!