Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG: Younger surgery recipient

Hey there! My name is Justine and I am 20 years old and am currently 1 week 3 days post op from VSG. I am looking to find some people who are younger recipients of having a VSG. It’s been really hard not having anyone to talk with about surgery stuff and nutrition now. I would love to create a support group/accountability group! Let me know if anyone is interested!

Hey Jsteen! We actually had surgery on the same date. I'm 28. How are you doing with everything? Sick of liquids yet..?

8 minutes ago, PTundra6 said:

Hey Jsteen! We actually had surgery on the same date. I'm 28. How are you doing with everything? Sick of liquids yet..?

I am doing okay! It’s been a lot different than I had expected. I’m still pretty sore and uncomfortable and eating has been such a struggle. I can’t seem to get Protein in. And cold liquids are super painful/uncomfortable. How are you doing?

i dont have much pain now from my incisions. The biggest incision is the main one thats caused issues, its still a little sore when i sit down, especially if i get in my car. Are you able to sleep in bed ok? I've been crashing in our recliner lol I'm just glad the gas pain is basically gone.

food wise..well..I'm so sick of Protein Shakes. I'd be happy if i never had to see one again. I've been drinking Premeir Protein, try to get two a day which gives me enough protein for the day, but its a struggle because i hate them. Sometimes when i drink Water, it makes me nauseous, but hasn't been too bad.

What kind of Vitamins are you taking? I have chewables that came with a free prescription, and they're so chalky that i dont think i could use them long term.

22 minutes ago, PTundra6 said:

i dont have much pain now from my incisions. The biggest incision is the main one thats caused issues, its still a little sore when i sit down, especially if i get in my car. Are you able to sleep in bed ok? I've been crashing in our recliner lol I'm just glad the gas pain is basically gone.

food wise..well..I'm so sick of Protein Shakes. I'd be happy if i never had to see one again. I've been drinking Premeir Protein, try to get two a day which gives me enough Protein for the day, but its a struggle because i hate them. Sometimes when i drink Water, it makes me nauseous, but hasn't been too bad.

What kind of Vitamins are you taking? I have chewables that came with a free prescription, and they're so chalky that i dont think i could use them long term.

I am the exact same way. The incisions don’t hurt as much much getting up and down and bending over hurts still. I also had a gnarly allergic reaction and I got a horrible rash all over my stomach that makes my incisions irritated. I gave staples holding mine together. How many incisions do you have?

And yes. Those damn Protein Shakes are so gross. I just hate them. I’m so sick of the liquids deal but inexperience enough discomfort with Water though to keep me away from anything else.

I haven’t started any of my Vitamins yet. I know I’m going to be on Vit D 10000 units daily. But I’m not sure what else. What about you?

I have 5 incisions, one is bigger than the rest where they took the stomach portion out. Mine were sewed on the inside and covered in some sort of glue, not sure what it is.

When can you switch to the soft food phase? I'm supposed to be going for a follow up Tuesday, and hopefully can get cleared. I need textureeee so bad lol. I'm so mentally hungry for something, its crazy. I'm not actually physically hungry, i haven't been since surgery. But im craving things so bad.

My doctor/nutritionist are both pretty strict about Vitamins and i had to start them the day i got home. I take a Calcium, Multivitamin, Iron, Vitamin D, and B12. Its alot, and has to be spread out during the day because calcium cant be taken with iron, and you can only take so much calcium at a time. Its a pain.

I’m 27. Almost 7 months post op. The past month has been bouncing between 147-148 and it stinks. But I’m just trying to change some things up and see what works. Still a goal of reaching 127-130!

11 hours ago, PTundra6 said:

I have 5 incisions, one is bigger than the rest where they took the stomach portion out. Mine were sewed on the inside and covered in some sort of glue, not sure what it is.

When can you switch to the soft food phase? I'm supposed to be going for a follow up Tuesday, and hopefully can get cleared. I need textureeee so bad lol. I'm so mentally hungry for something, its crazy. I'm not actually physically hungry, i haven't been since surgery. But im craving things so bad.

My doctor/nutritionist are both pretty strict about Vitamins and i had to start them the day i got home. I take a Calcium, Multivitamin, Iron, Vitamin D, and B12. Its alot, and has to be spread out during the day because Calcium cant be taken with Iron, and you can only take so much calcium at a time. Its a pain.

My follow up is Tuesday too, I haven’t left the full liquid phase yet. I crave texture too, I’m just so scared of it hurting lol l. I will talk to them about the Vitamins when I go in on Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, eso0402 said:

Im 24. Most of my struggle is a picky eater and my mental state is not the best would love to have people to talk to

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

I’d absolutely love to support and help each other out. I’m the same way and would love to keep in contact. You can add me on Facebook or anything else and we can keep talking 😊 Justine McKail

Girls , give,me your opinion! Do you think Honey Boo is going need bariatric Surgery when she gets old enough? She looks to me to have the,potential to be bigger than Mama June ever was!

9 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Girls , give,me your opinion! Do you think Honey Boo is going need bariatric Surgery when she gets old enough? She looks to me to have the,potential to be bigger than Mama June ever was!

I don’t think that one can even know if that’s something that would be needed. Weight loss is different for everyone and I personally think it should be the last resort as it makes you get the right mindset for successful outcomes after surgery. She may get older and form her own healthy habits, who knows. Not really my place to even think about.

14 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

It’s interesting to think about. My mom was obese, had gastric bypass when I was a teenager. I had the sleeve 7 months ago. Genetics can be a b....

hopefully someone talks to her soon about a healthier lifestyle. But even if they did it may not stick. It didn’t for me until this ☹️

Well I guess I'm just an interfearing old biddy, I just wish someone could have,intervened for me. The difficult,thing for teenagers is making them feel you are not rejecting them as a person when you are trying to help. I have lived years and years of increasing pain as. I grew older and more obese. I hate for anyone,ev3n a reality show person to walk in my wide misshapen trembling footsteps of they can be helped.😪💦😪