Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 hrs post op - NOT what I expected

So I had my sleeve about 8 hours ago and while in recovery they gave me a pain medication and it knocked me out and not in a good way. I was miserable up until about 2 hours ago. I still made myself get up and walk though cause the gas pains are terrible!!!! Walking is the only thing that has given some relief. I haven’t had any nausea but when I drinks sips of Water the gas comes right back. And the soreness of my stomach is awful too. I will say the more I get up, the better it gets. I haven’t gotten any more pain medicine because of my experience earlier and hope note to. I am pretty hungry but scared to try any broths because of the water making my gas worse. This too shall pass and I am praying that this is the first day of the rest of my life! Good luck to all of you up and coming sleevers!!!

Yeah, it sucks at first. I'm two days post-op though, and it gets better very quickly. Good luck!

Sending best wishes for a fast pain free time to come soon.

Hope they get you a different pain medicine that helps without knocking you out! Good luck with the gas, I hope u start feeling better soon!

Walk,walk,walk..you’ll get thru it...it’s done..walking will make the gas go away..

The first 48 hours was pretty difficult for me too. Gas pains and some weird spasms in my chest wall muscles as well as soreness and just generally feeling tired and upset. Got Tylenol with Codeine (liquid) and Zofran (dissolves on tongue) for pain and nausea which helped. They gave me a one ounce plastic cup and I had to drink every 20 minutes. My husband took it upon himself to keep filling it up and writing it down as I drank it...such a pest about it. I did get up and walk a few times....felt a little dizzy so I had a walker which made me feel old. Once I got home it was better and by the 3rd day I felt pretty good.

Hang in there!! I survived and you will too!!

Edited by MIZ60

Hang in there! Have you spoken to your med team about the medication side effects? I agree with other posters in that there's got to be something else that they can give you to alleviate some of this pain - - that's what modern medicine is for!

Ooo sorry the meds sucked, ask for IV acetaminophen 1000mg/6, no side effects

22 hours ago, MIZ60 said:

They gave me a one ounce plastic cup and I had to drink every 20 minutes. My husband took it upon himself to keep filling it up and writing it down as I drank it...such a pest about it.

This is adorable xx. I hope it continues to be, and doesn’t become annoying over time. It’s sweet he is trying to be supportive & part of your new path to healthy living

On 07/06/2018 at 10:49 AM, BrookeR said:

So I had my sleeve about 8 hours ago and while in recovery they gave me a pain medication and it knocked me out and not in a good way. I was miserable up until about 2 hours ago. I still made myself get up and walk though cause the gas pains are terrible!!!! Walking is the only thing that has given some relief. I haven’t had any nausea but when I drinks sips of Water the gas comes right back. And the soreness of my stomach is awful too. I will say the more I get up, the better it gets. I haven’t gotten any more pain medicine because of my experience earlier and hope note to. I am pretty hungry but scared to try any broths because of the Water making my gas worse. This too shall pass and I am praying that this is the first day of the rest of my life! Good luck to all of you up and coming sleevers!!!

How are you feeling now, have they given you any pain meds that help?

I was miserable the first 48 hours but it has honestly been a breeze for me since then. Hang in there. You'll do well. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Pearldrop said:

This is adorable xx. I hope it continues to be, and doesn’t become annoying over time. It’s sweet he is trying to be supportive & part of your new path to healthy living

After almost 35 years together, annoying does not even begin to describe it.....lol. He is very supportive and onboard with what I am doing and even though he is a normal weight he is trying to eat better and goes walking with me and the pup every morning. A keeper for sure.

1gm paracetamol I.v. BD got me through. I am 6 days past my vsg. 1st 2 - 3 days were not that bad for me. only the thirst part was bad my doctor didn't let me drink Water for 24 hrs post op and the only thing i was allowed was to use wet gauze over lips which at times I sucked water from . next day was little sips day till further 3 days nothing but water .the only thing that brought screams from me was when he pulled out the surgical drain lines from the stomach and it feels like you have been stabed at few points on your stomach. Key for you dont gulp down take little sips it gives less gas