Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Step 1 Diet-Need non-milk protein sources!

Hello,

I am lactose intolerant. After 1 week pre-op and almost 1 week post-op, I am having trouble tolerating my "lactose-free," milk-based Protein Shakes. Could someone please recommend non-dairy sources of high Protein that are suitable for Step 1? I would prefer savory flavors to sweet at this point. Thanks for your help!

30 minutes ago, josephsmom said:

Hello,

I am lactose intolerant. After 1 week pre-op and almost 1 week post-op, I am having trouble tolerating my "lactose-free," milk-based Protein Shakes. Could someone please recommend non-dairy sources of high Protein that are suitable for Step 1? I would prefer savory flavors to sweet at this point. Thanks for your help!

Unjury makes a chicken Soup flavor Protein Powder. Also, maybe try some Bone Broth if nothing else, it would at least have some collagen Proteins in it. I would call your nutritionist ASAP though.

Can you tolerate soy? if so I recommend Svelte organic Protein Shake, I have the French vanilla and it tastes GOOD.😝

Thanks to you both. I definitely will call my dietitian tomorrow, but your suggestions will help to tide me over for today.

Premier has a Protein Water available and Isopure has a clear Protein Drink as well. Good luck!

I was lactose intolerant for a couple months after surgery. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana blended in for flavor.

5 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

I was lactose intolerant for a couple months after surgery. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana blended in for flavor.

James, i know this is off subject, but i saw you post a link to something you had written and i wanted to read it but never got to. Is it possible to get the link?

Look for "collagen hydrolysate" supplements derived from beef Gelatin (bonus, also helps with joints and skin elasticity).

Here in Australia I just had my Peptipro collagen Hydrolysate deliver today, and I"m looking forward to adding it to my morning Decaf coffee and evening cup of decaf tea. 15g product = 14.5g Protein and dissolves in cold or hot Water. No sure if this brand available overseas, but with the popularity of paleo, there should be several suppliers of similar products over there.

https://www.gelatinaustralia.com.au/products/peptipro-collagen-hydrolysate-beef-gelatin-500grams-premium-grade

Edited by Taoz

11 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

James, i know this is off subject, but i saw you post a link to something you had written and i wanted to read it but never got to. Is it possible to get the link?

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I too am sick, sick, sick, of sweet flavored Protein Drinks. optisource is a non dairy Protein drink with a good reputation for bariatric purposes. Also, I just ordered up some non flavored protein powder by Isopure. I'm hoping to be able to add it to "just warm" Soups and broths to help with those pesky protein goals. We shall see had unflavored it really is :). Fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, James Marusek said:

That is an amazing read!

Has anyone given you feedback on whether the essential oil has worked for them to stave off hunger?

No feedback. It worked for awhile for me and then stopped working.

On 05/21/2018 at 14:20, Taoz said:

Look for "collagen hydrolysate" supplements derived from beef Gelatin (bonus, also helps with joints and skin elasticity).

Here in Australia I just had my Peptipro collagen Hydrolysate deliver today, and I"m looking forward to adding it to my morning Decaf coffee and evening cup of decaf tea. 15g product = 14.5g Protein and dissolves in cold or hot Water. No sure if this brand available overseas, but with the popularity of paleo, there should be several suppliers of similar products over there.

https://www.gelatinaustralia.com.au/products/peptipro-collagen-hydrolysate-beef-gelatin-500grams-premium-grade

How is the Protein powder dissolving in tea? My current protein powder is very lumpy

35 minutes ago, Pearldrop said:

How is the Protein Powder dissolving in tea? My current Protein powder is very lumpy

Because most Protein supplements are whey protein concentrate, or whey protein isolate based and neither dissolves very well, especially in hot liquids.

The collagen hydrolysate is a different animal all together, derived from pure beef Gelatin, and dissolves well, similar to how benefibre dissolves in your tea/coffee/other liquids :) no lumpy bits in my fresh coffee this morning (after stirring well with a fork for 2 mins).

I'm feeling a bit seedy this morning after a bad sleep and I think I'm coming down with hubby cold that has kept him in bed most of the past 3 days :( I'm making myself some Breakfast now and will get more healthy Soup into me later on. Might even have a nap.

EDIT: lols, my ticker is broken? It says I'm at 103.9 kilos but my little boat has snuck all the way over to the goal position of 60kg on the sunset. I'm doing well little sailboat, but we still have a ways to go! hehe

Edited by Taoz

9 hours ago, Taoz said:

Because most Protein supplements are whey Protein concentrate, or whey protein isolate based and neither dissolves very well, especially in hot liquids.

The collagen hydrolysate is a different animal all together, derived from pure beef Gelatin, and dissolves well, similar to how benefibre dissolves in your tea/coffee/other liquids :) no lumpy bits in my fresh coffee this morning (after stirring well with a fork for 2 mins).

I'm feeling a bit seedy this morning after a bad sleep and I think I'm coming down with hubby cold that has kept him in bed most of the past 3 days :( I'm making myself some Breakfast now and will get more healthy Soup into me later on. Might even have a nap.

EDIT: lols, my ticker is broken? It says I'm at 103.9 kilos but my little boat has snuck all the way over to the goal position of 60kg on the sunset. I'm doing well little sailboat, but we still have a ways to go! hehe

Thank you. I’m going to order some now