Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first fill . . .

I had my first fill yesterday. It was fairly quick and easy. I knew that I would need to eat only liquids for a few days; however, I thought "liquids" would include Protein shakes, SF Jello, etc. I was shocked when I learned that I need to do Clear Liquids for 48 hours. (No Halloween treats for me!)

Basically, after a fill, I need to eat just as I did following surgery due to swelling. 48 hours later, I'll go to mushies again and if I tolerate that, then I can go to soft foods and solids at my own pace.

The next fill for me is December 4.

I've been hungry today, but I've been drinking a lot--mostly Crystal Light. I added some apple juice just to help keep my blood sugar from crashing. I haven't had any problems getting the fluids down, but I've also been sipping like I did following surgery.

Physically, my port is more sore today than it was previously. It doesn't hurt really, but it is a little uncomfortable when I brush up against something or bend over.

I had no idea that you were back on clear fluids - I don't have my first fill for several more weeks. I too thought Opti would save my day!!

I hope it settles quickly for you.

my first fill is at the end of the month. i was surprised yesterday when they told us that the put in 7cc, close your band off, then let you sit up and drink Water. if it goes down, you keep your 7 cc's. that seems like a lot when there are a lot of people on here who say they only get one.

my doctor says majority of people are at their sweet spot on the 3rd fill, but for some people it takes 6, 9, or more. i feel blessed that my 3rd fill will be before Christmas. My first is the end of this month, and then they are scheduled every 2 weeks.

they gave us the fill guidelines yesterday and i was really surprised by them also. we, too have to go on Clear Liquids for 48 hours.

My first fill is November 28 (surgery was October 15). My surgery followup was today and everything is going great. Got my 'lapband card' for my wallet too.

:rolleyesI fgel like I can eat almost normally...I am probably eating one third of what I would have, pre-band, but I think if I chew well, I can eat as much as I want...I've lost 28 pounds, but I've been at 28 pounds for 10 days. I hope I'll do better when I have the fill.

It bugs me that I can eat almost normally.

Advice?

Banded 10/4

My dr. has me on 'full liquids' for 24 then mushies for the next 24 after a fill. Had no problems. First fill. Still waiting for the magic--ha. dianne

I am 4 weeks banded today and I still can't imagine getting a fill yet. Still rarely hungry and fill up fast. I don't have any Fluid in my band at all, it was all taking out one week post op. I don't think I'll bother making an apt for awhile. I keep expecting the hunger beast to rise up and grab me.

I am 4 weeks banded today and I still can't imagine getting a fill yet. Still rarely hungry and fill up fast. I don't have any Fluid in my band at all, it was all taking out one week post op. I don't think I'll bother making an apt for awhile. I keep expecting the hunger beast to rise up and grab me.

Thats great!! My doc says he has some patients that he NEVER has to fill. I guess it is just your anatomy the band does well with. At any rate, I have had to restrict myself..LOL NO restriction for me, but I am finally at peace with that and went on the South Beach diet like I did preop. Since then I am finally losing! Oh and the exercise probably has something to do with that! LOL

My fill is Nov 15th and I can't wait! I am soooo glad I will be filled before Thanksgiving, I can eat almost mormal and wouldnt want to overeat! Family is soo pushy about eating...

Does anyone know if you can stretch your pouch if you've never had a fill? I have only lost 13 pounds since my bandin 10/1/07 and i can know eat almost a "normal" sized portion. Do you actually have a pouch if the band has no saline or flouro in it?

HELP! I am worried.

It has some lapband info on it in case of emergency on the front. on the back it quickly explains it and how i cant eat much so I can use it to ask for children's or senior citizens specials at restaurants.

On the front it has the doctor's name, address, and phone, my name, tells I have the an adjustable gastric band, and provides the warning "Caution should be taken when prescribing

potentially ulcerogenic medications, inserting a gastric tube, or performing any gastric or abdominal procedure." It also has a picture of the band making a little pouch. It also says "M.R.I. Compatible" on it.

On the back it says "This patient has had gastric surgery to reduce the stomach compacity and can eat only small portions at a time (less than 4 ounches, or 1/2 cup). We request that him/her be allowed to purchase a senior or child's portion. Thank you for your cooperation."

I had to ask to get one. It looks like it was put together by my doctor's office and then laminated in thick hard laminating stuff.

THat card is awesome!! I got a post op packet from my docs office that is directly from Inamed (the band manufact) It is great. I have used it once and it worked! Also, I feel safer because I put it where my drivers liscence is in my wallet in case of an emergency so they can call my doc!

My husband and I had our first fill yesterday. After putting the needle in my port, the doctor had me drink some Water and nothing felt any different. Then he filled the band really tight and had me drink again and I really felt the slowness of the Water going down. He said he wanted me to feel what the tightness felt like. Then he took some out and explained that the first fill is really more of a psychological thing than anything but that I will feel some restriction. Our next fill is 12/7.

BTW, I'm on Clear liquids through today and full liquids (Protein shakes) tomorrow and then back on soft foods on Monday. I'm anxious to see what my intake is because before this fill I could pretty much eat anything.