Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all.. new to this app. Love it and all the support I see! I am on the fence and looking to see if anyone has had a revision from sleeve to bypass? Since my sleeve I have developed the worst heartburn. I had it before but not to this extent. My doctor didn’t tell me that the sleeve will make your gerd worse. It’s to the point that I eat only what doesn’t hurt. In addition to that I can’t eat anything with flour. Horrible stomach ache. I’ve been allergy tested for gluten bcus I was SURE that’s what is was but turns out I’m not. So I know enough to stay away from carbs.. bread, rice and anything with flour. Thank goodness for gluten free crackers. They are my staple. Doctor says the revision make the heartburn and pain and will repair the hernia that developed from the first surgery. I guess I just don’t know anyone who has done the bypass and if they have any complications. I’ve heard dumping could be really bad. What are the big differences in foods with the sleeve vs bypass. I heard you can’t have anything with sugar.... I’m thinking of my coffee creamer ( which i allow myself) which is not sugar free.... fruits, honey, oatmeal .... would appreciate any feedback or insight.

Haven't been sleeved(sorry) but I do have GERD from Hades and a hiatal hernia. Looking forward to my RnY, have gone from the minor league to the Cadillac, Dexilant, so far it is keeping my gastritis tamed and Hector, my little baby ulcer asleep. Missed my dose one morning and HELLO. My gastric region woke up and I didn't have a fun day. Join me in bypass-ville and things will only get better![emoji13]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Haven't been sleeved(sorry) but I do have GERD from Hades and a hiatal hernia. Looking forward to my RnY, have gone from the minor league to the Cadillac, Dexilant, so far it is keeping my gastritis tamed and Hector, my little baby ulcer asleep. Missed my dose one morning and HELLO. My gastric region woke up and I didn't have a fun day. Join me in bypass-ville and things will only get better![emoji13]
Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks !! When is your date? Mine is June 6

It is recommended that all bariatric patients maintain a lower carb diet post op.

I know I have seen lots of ppl on here going from sleeve to bypass, maybe they were just first time posters, none returners.

It is estimated that between 30-50 percent of gastric bypass patients develop dumping syndrome. Seems to be a common misconception that all people will get this.

I was never sleeved but I’m over three months out from bypass. I can tolerate almost all foods except whole steaks, and dry pieces of dense Proteins like chicken or pork chops. I’ve never had GERD but surgeon has me on omeprazole for a year post op.

Maybe a sleeve to bypass revision post op will see this and post for you with more insight!

Hi there

i had my sleeve in January 2014 and was revised to Bypass in January 2018 because of gerd

good news - my GERD has been resolved

i have not had any issues with dumping but been very careful with food

i was told that I should not eat anything with more than 10g per serving of added sugar. I have been very careful. But that would allow you your Creamer?

eating is a different experience

i don’t yet know my tell for full and I can eat more at two months with this surgery than I could with sleeve

obviously losing weight much more slowly than first time round

hope thats helpful

I was just coverted from a sleeve to bypass with hernia repair. Even though the surgery was much more extensive, I am finding the recovery to be easier. Like UKHEIDI, I am tolerating liquids much easier than with the sleeve

Hi there
i had my sleeve in January 2014 and was revised to Bypass in January 2018 because of gerd
good news - my GERD has been resolved
i have not had any issues with dumping but been very careful with food
i was told that I should not eat anything with more than 10g per serving of added sugar. I have been very careful. But that would allow you your creamer?
eating is a different experience
i don’t yet know my tell for full and I can eat more at two months with this surgery than I could with sleeve
obviously losing weight much more slowly than first time round
hope thats helpful

Thank you. It is very helpful. Just checked my creamer and it’s 3g. Whew. [emoji477]️

I was just coverted from a sleeve to bypass with hernia repair. Even though the surgery was much more extensive, I am finding the recovery to be easier. Like UKHEIDI, I am tolerating liquids much easier than with the sleeve

You and I have the exact same scenario. I am happy to hear recovery is easier. I have seen posts from someone with bypass that they have a drain. Did you?

I never got dumping either and gerd is non-existent . A great tip is to put Protein Shake into your coffee as a creamer ! Ie caramel or vanilla - kills two birds :)

Good luck!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180
CW 180
5’6”

23 minutes ago, Starfish23 said:

You and I have the exact same scenario. I am happy to hear recovery is easier. I have seen posts from someone with bypass that they have a drain. Did you?

I did not have a drain, but did have a chest tube because of how high my hernia went. Apparently that is not typical with hernia repair. To be honest, the chest tube was awful. I could not breath without being in pain, but I didn't have it long. I doubt you will have to have one though!

I did not have a drain, but did have a chest tube because of how high my hernia went. Apparently that is not typical with hernia repair. To be honest, the chest tube was awful. I could not breath without being in pain, but I didn't have it long. I doubt you will have to have one though!

Whoa.... glad that’s over for you[emoji37]

I never got dumping either and gerd is non-existent . A great tip is to put Protein Shake into your coffee as a creamer ! Ie caramel or vanilla - kills two birds [emoji4]

Good luck!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180
CW 180
5’6”

That’s a good idea! Thanks!