Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych eval this afternoon!!!

I am so nervous! I have my psych eval. this afternoon. If anyone could tell me what its like, what types of questions do they ask?? I guess its one step closer to surgery,( I am still 6 months out) but its one of those realities that are setting in!

Alyssa

I am about 5 months out from surgery :boink: Seems like forever....... But I am wondering what the phsyc eval is like too as I have yet to do it.

My eval was no big deal. He just asked me a few questions about my support - family, friends - said it sounded like I had good support. Told me how it could affect my relationship with dh and he asked me about past diets and also talked about why we eat, stress, boredom, etc and then told me ways I could avoid those situations. It was a breeze.

For Dr. Curry there was a lot of paperwork I would guess 20 pages - where you would check from 1-5 agree or disagree, not too bad but lots of questions to answer. Then I spoke with the counselor/doctor. It was more like a conversation - why do you want to have the surgery, what do you hope for after the surgery things like that. All in all it was a pleasant experience as opposed to unpleasant.

My psych evaluation was very detailed. I had to answer a 520 questions related to my history, family, eating, sexual relationships, health, etc., etc., I was just honest and answered to the best of my ability. The appointment lasted 2-3 hours, but it was definitely worth it. I believe they want to make sure you are ready to have this surgery as it is life changing.......It's nothing to be scared of......but of course, we are nervous because we don't want to be turned down. If you go in there, and be honest, you will be just fine.....everyting will go exactly the way it is supposed to. The psch evaluation is there for a reason.

I had my psych eval last week. I was also so nervous. She ask me two weird questions. I had to tell her what these two quotes meant. "Strike While The Iron is Hot" & "Birds of a Feather Flock together" Plus this woman turned out to be completely bald, no eye lashes or eyebrows. That kind of freaked me out. Other than those quotes she just ask the basic questions about family, childhood. She ask what outlet I will use instead of turning to food after my surgery. I told her I would journal and she really liked that one. I even ask her in the end if I passed and she said yes. Good luck, I am still waiting for insurance approval.

I met with the Psychiatrist for maybe 20 minutes with questions about family support, what DH thinks about the surgery, family obesity, etc. Very quick and painless. Then I took a questionnaire of about 560+ question, and all True False.

Passed with flying colors.

Do not worry, they just want to make sure you don't have any major psychological or emotional problems. Even then I've heard of some bandies still getting the surgery. They just needed a little more intervention and possibly anti-depressants.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I have OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) which is controlled with meds. I was worried this might be an issue. But my surgeon encouraged me to have my own Psych do the evaluation, which focused on whether I understood what I was committing to, had realistic expectations, understood the risks, was ready to make the changes, had a good support system. Even for a nut, it was easy :boink:

For my psych eval, I just talked with the P/A same subjects as everyone else.

But I was bulimic for four years-early 90's-(thought it was another way to lose weight) and she said she was sorry, she'd have to "write it down".

The female psychiatrist came in for about five minutes and that was it. But I was afraid I would be turned down because of my 'issue'.

But all my worrying was for naught--I was still approved! Add another crazy to the group!! :boink:

Ok, well it was just like you all said. I met with a pa and she asked me the same family support, why I wanted the surgery etc. Then she gave me the 567squestion true or false test. She said that it would be scored this week and then I have an appointment with the psychiatrist for the evaluation the first week of December. So far so good, the pa said that I should have no problem getting approved. Thanks for your help!

Alyssa