Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Restrictions

My surgeon said no bread, Pasta, noodles, or rice for 3 months after surgery. Also, no raw vegetables for 4-6 months. No citrus fruits or grapes for 3 months.

Does anyone else have these restrictions?

I didn't have any of the Pasta or rice until I was 3 years out. I was afraid it would hurt my stomach. I didn't have any of the other restrictions but after my RNY by the time I ate my Protein first and after many strictures and needing 5 ENDOSCOPES/and 4 dialations, the opening was where the tightness was. I couldn't eat much at a time. BTW I went below my goal weight at that time. I did lose pretty fast. My Surgeon and my Nutritionist both told me right up front. There are no forbidden foods in time. You have to learn to eat in Moderation. Now some people don't agree with this statement, they will say eating those foods are what got us to this place to begin with. Each of us need to find our nitch in our new found life and make the best of what works for you. Good Luck

No, I was allowed all of those things after two months. However, even at nearly 6 months out, I personally choose not to eat bread, Pasta, noodles and rice. I do eat raw vegies and fruit though.

I don't really understand the concern with grapes?

WLS is so new, there's no established protocol. I'm so interested in what different surgeons recommend.

My surgeon said no bread, Pasta, noodles, or rice for 3 months after surgery. Also, no raw vegetables for 4-6 months. No citrus fruits or grapes for 3 months.
Does anyone else have these restrictions?
No. I had none.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I didnt really have any restrictions, but it is rare I eat white bread, Pasta or rice. Maybe once a week I will have a serving of whole wheat pasta, rice or bread. Bread is usually 1/2 a serving, as it tends to swell more. I do eat my Protein first. But it seems like if I dont balance it out with a carb, my stomach hates me for 4 or 5 hours. I am guessing because it is harder to digest? I can do canned chicken, or the perdue shortcuts chicken. Other chicken I cant. Turkey I cant unless smothered in gravy. Pork and ham, cant do. They actually hurt. Steak if cooked medium I can do it, but chewed really good and can only eat about an ounce. Beef, eh, depends on how tender it is. tuna canned. Fish, not really. So I am quite limited on protein. I do cheese and string cheese, but again they also have carbs. I could live on yogurt!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 216.1 (2/4/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

I was told 3 months initially, but then was cleared at 2 to have the pastas and rice, etc. No food restrictions. I still don't eat rice as I have heard of so many people having issue with it, and frankly, I am not a huge fan of rice anyway. It was just a vehicle to get the sauce from some other food down instead of slurping it like Soup. heheheh. Carbs take up space, and I want to get my Proteins in. I have been guilty of eating chips and salsa recently, but I make sure to eat proteins, then go for the chips. I try to get some whole grain chips and keep the carb/fat content down as much as I can. I can order a sandwich, but really only eat a bite or two for the mouth feel before i just pull out the innards and eat the proteins.

I could probably do fine with small amounts of those foods at this point (16 months post-op), but I choose not to eat them. I only eat meat, eggs, cheese, and green vegetables for the most part.

Mine was VERY similar. And my doc said no rice/pasta ever really....

Has anyone tried any of the bariatric foods or Snacks they sell? Weather is from this site or one like bariatric direct? Just curious.

I find most processed diet/bariatic Snacks are not good in taste or quality. Many also inflate their Vitamin content and my surgeon staff says a lot of Vitamins even in good shakes are not absorbed well.

I think most WLS patients have some dietary restrictions or surgeon eating plans, while industry guidelines are still loose. My diet did not include any Pasta until year one, and it is recommended that it be whole grain and not be the bulk of meal (still focused on Protein + veg/fruit). A lot of fruits were not on my diet plan for first 6 months or year because they were higher in sugar -- but many were. I would be very leery of an early diet plan that allowed or did not discuss how to make a good bariatric plate at each critical stage. Grains entered my diet at I think 8 months mostly, I did and do have oats on my high protein yogurt at an early stage or chia seeds. At over 1 1/2 years out and pass my 1st and 2nd goal weight, I still think about my balanced plate when eating and rarely have rice, pasta or bread. But, I do have them on occasion, when I do I try for whole grain versions, brown rice.

Frankly, pasta just cannot be on a success plan when your meal is 4oz!

14 minutes ago, chycky said:

I find most processed diet/bariatic Snacks are not good in taste or quality. Many also inflate their Vitamin content and my surgeon staff says a lot of Vitamins even in good shakes are not absorbed well.

I think most WLS patients have some dietary restrictions or surgeon eating plans, while industry guidelines are still loose. My diet did not include any Pasta until year one, and it is recommended that it be whole grain and not be the bulk of meal (still focused on Protein + veg/fruit). A lot of fruits were not on my diet plan for first 6 months or year because they were higher in sugar -- but many were. I would be very leery of an early diet plan that allowed or did not discuss how to make a good bariatric plate at each critical stage. Grains entered my diet at I think 8 months mostly, I did and do have oats on my high Protein yogurt at an early stage or chia seeds. At over 1 1/2 years out and pass my 1st and 2nd goal weight, I still think about my balanced plate when eating and rarely have rice, Pasta or bread. But, I do have them on occasion, when I do I try for whole grain versions, brown rice.

Frankly, pasta just cannot be on a success plan when your meal is 4oz!

Thanks!! I find out next week when my surgery is, but during these last 5 months I eliminated all pasta, bread rice ect. I substitute with cauliflower rice And mashed cauliflower which is pretty satisfying I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I've just been absorbing all the information I can from everyone's after care posts.

star, that is great. I lessened my carbs pre-surgery, it was very hard. I would say it is both easier and harder to acclimate to early diet. Though, the hardest part for me was the 2 week pre-surgery and 2 week post surgery diet. I did not care for the meal bars pre surgery, and the puree stage post-surgery was not great. But, on the early stages it is amazing how exciting it can be to incorporate new foods! Good luck!

59 minutes ago, chycky said:

Frankly, Pasta just cannot be on a success plan when your meal is 4oz!

This right here. Occasionally, when out with people I will have fork full of rice or a small taste of pasta, but it takes me an hour to eat 1/4 c of my Protein I've ordered. The only time I'm not eating protein is when I'm eating soft veggies or nuts. lol! I allow myself a treat every now and then but in general I stick really hard to the protocol, even 16 months out.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment!

No restrictions, I could’ve ate anything once I got pass the very soft foods stage. But as tempting as it will seem try not to eat the carbs as much or at all because when you reach your 1 year the weight loss slows down completely. I’m 14 months out and I wish I didn’t eat carbs till closer to my 1 year. I started eating carbs early [emoji30] wish I didn’t [emoji30] could’ve lost more weight but I’m still happy !!

2 hours ago, goldenbarbie said:

No restrictions, I could’ve ate anything once I got pass the very soft foods stage. But as tempting as it will seem try not to eat the carbs as much or at all because when you reach your 1 year the weight loss slows down completely. I’m 14 months out and I wish I didn’t eat carbs till closer to my 1 year. I started eating carbs early wish I didn’t could’ve lost more weight but I’m still happy !!

Wait? So weight loss does slow down after 12 months?? I started a thread to ask people about this - people didn’t seem to think it was true