Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days to been banded and im scared of dying during surgery or should i say i got a feeling im gonna die ,,,,,please tell me thats a stupid insane feeling,,,,

have others had the same fear and feeling?

i got 3 kids , i wanna grow old and skinny with them...

There are risks with every surgery, that's what my doctor told me, but if you have no medical problems, if all your tests are ok, you will be just fine.

I'm such a coward in so many ways, and like you I was a little scared. But for me the important thing is to trust your doctor. And also just imagine the changes in your life and the things you will be able to do.

I had no pain after, and was feeling Ok, I even had my surgery a Thursday and went back to work the next monday (couldn't stay home much longer, I was soooo bored), and It just took a couple of days for me to recover.

You are at a higher risk of dying from obesity and the complications and medical conditions it causes than you are from the surgery. Think of the band as your life support!

I felt the same way. I was so scared. I thought to myself I need to get this done or I am going to die. My brother had a massive heart attack at the age of 43 he almost died, had a 10% chance of making it. It is a miracle he lived. I am 41 & thought is that how I am going to go? He was in so much pain. He is overweight, diabetes and more.

I have the most beautiful sweet little girl (age 11) and I need to be there for her. She is my world! I thought ok I can die of heart attack or I can get this done. My daughter did not want me to have the lap band. I explained to her that mommy can die with out getting it done. My husband supported me in whatever I wanted to do. He is thin. Neither one of them understand what it is like to be FAT! I asked them both to come to a support group with me, they said they would be right in & never came in. I left crying. I said why did you guys not come in. They said they were scared. I said of what? It is me that is getting the surgery. They did not understand. So I told them I can die of a heart attack & during that time live my life miserable or I can get this done. I said even if I die I will be miserable because I bet I will not even fit into a coffin! They said but we love you as you are. I then broke out in tears, told them I am scared to death to get this done, but you 2 do not understand. I explained, when we go out to dinner I have to look at the booths, will I fit??? Will it be to tight? I said you know at the amusement parks why I do not go on some of the rides, because I will not fit! I said is that how you want me to live because soon it will be that I do not want to leave the house because why be embarresed that i will not fit? Not to mention how people talk about the fat person walking by. I hear it all! It is a creul world.

So the day of the surgery in the hospital still with the fear, I said I need to go to the bathroom, my daughter came with me. I just went in there so she & I could talk. I told her this (while balling my eyes out) I said just know this sweety, I love you more than anything in this entire world & if mommy does not wake up I need you to know that. She said the same thing to me that she loved me more than anything & that I better wake up. I told her I trust my doctor, that he is the best in his field and I am in good hands. I said not to mention I prayed. So it is up to God. Her & I hugged, held hands & sat side by side. On the elevator ride up I went to the 5th floor they had to go to the 6th floor. I said I LOVE YOU 2!! Tears came to my face as I turned around as I did not want my daughter to see them.

As I was put on the table I said my prayers & asked God to let me get through this as I need this, my family needs this, my family needs me. As they gave me the needle I thought of my daughter. I was terrified.

Then I woke up. I cried & thanked God he helped me through this, then I smiled & thanked the Doctor for giving me a new life that started that day.

I hope I did not bore you with my story. But I as you felt the same. It was all ok. It was all worth it. I have only been banded since 10/5 but I am so very happy I got it done. I lost 12 pounds in less than 2 weeks. I am not sure how much as of now that I lost because I do not have a scale. When I go to the docs I will have a scale to check progress in between visits.

Good luck to you, try not to be scared. It will all be ok. You will start a new life all over again.

The funny thing about me is that I really didn't get nervous until the day before. I was so excited that my insurance approved it and that I was finally going to have control over my weight, I dind't have time to get nervous. Then...the day before I got pretty nervous but by the time I got to the hospital the next morning, all of those feelings went away and I was just ready to get in that OR. The entire hospital staff was absolutely wonderful and my doctor is the greatest. Everything should be alright. Just think of the outcome. Once the pounds start coming off, you'll forget all about the pain and the nervousness. Good luck to you!!!

I was scared also but then I started reading the chances and they are less than 1 and 100 or something like this. My doctor didn't know of anyone who had died from lap band surgery...... It will be fine!!!

Hi Ginaki,

I know there are risks with any surgery, but just to let you know how small the risk really is, my doctor and his associates have had not one death in the 2000+ lapband surgeries and have not had to go to open on any of them.

everyones replies have touched my heart, they have deeply moved me, i will stay positive and tuesday is around the corner see u all in lapband world,,, woohoo

im glad we all have each other for support

Try not to worry. This is a healthy change you are making. It is a pretty simple surgery as far as surgeries go. They have you up and walking really quick. I am SO...... glad i had this done. Donna

Do not be afraid. I don't know if you are a christian but Almighty God will go before you and make your way perfect. Do not be scared. God will grant you favor. I know exactly how you feel and I understand your fear but just think of how many times you drive everyday and the chances of having a wreck. Since God protects you then, he will also protect you now....Be strong and of good courage!

I was petrified as well! I cried all the way to the operating theatre! When I came around the surgeon laughed because the first thing I said was thanks so much for not letting me die! It was all very scary but I am so please I had it done, had it dne in April this year and I have lost 56 pounds nice and steady!

I think we all go through the same feelings. I sat and wrote a letter to my family that I sealed and put into my bag telling them how proud I was etc of them . I figured they would find it if anything did go wrong but it didn't.

I am getting banded in 4 days and I am scared too. I am 27 years old and I have two small children. I sometimes wonder, am I taking an unecessary risk?

But, would I be being fair to myself to just resign myself to being fat?

starryeyed

i totally enjoyed reading what u wrote about your journey with the lapbanding... i too felt the very same way as you did.. worried about dying during surgery or not wakening..i love my 2 kids so very much and my husband doesnt have a weight problem either.. and they all thought i was taking such a risk and i told them all the things u said ... it was like reading exactally what i said to them before the surg. But God heard us both and let us live after surgery to enjoy our family and a better life then what we had feeling the stares in public and yes i had the same problem with the booths at restaurants... i would not choose that particular restaurant because i was afraid i couldnt fit in the seats or would break the chair.. thank God all is well and we can live a different life and not wait for the family to ride the rides at the theme parks and we wont have to hold the table instead of dancing we can now be a part of the scene and live life , the fun side again... thanks for sharing your story i totally enjoyed it.. i am 53 but a young 53, still look like i am 40ish and have lost 49 lbs since my surg. on july 12 07... i am looking well in my clothes and actually am getting some looks from men etc. which i dont know how to handle because they always avoided eye contact when i waS larger... we have to just get prepared for the onset of attention we will get from everywhere... i am happy now and changing daily.. it was a BIG risk to take but it outweighs benifits that we will enjoy ... the world is now OUR OYSTER and we can smile and enjoy instead of HIDE.. Been there... Done That as well as lots of people that come to this site...I say to All that wonder whether to GO for it with the surgery....JUST DO IT..It will open doors that you have never entered.... A friend to all lapbanders.... Brenda/Vamailady

Go for it!!!! You run more of a chance of dying by NOT going for the surgery..I too cried and worried and the family didnt want me to do it JUST because it was a chance of dying during surg. only a tiny chance... well i knew it was MORE of a chance of dying if i DIDNt do it... So i prayed and left it in Gods hands and now i came thru the surg. and have lost 49 lbs in 3 1/2 mo. and now can live a better life... in life we all have to take chances or we wouldnt even exist... daily we take chances...I too was very worried that i could die during surg... but Life isnt up to us anyway... we have to live...so go for it... I did just that and scared as Hell... sorry...and i am 53 and i did fine and am soooooooo happy i took the plunge... pray and then smile and go for it... you will never regret it ...Brenda/Vamailady