Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reasonable expectation of weight loss

I have read stories that really run the gamut when it comes to weight loss over a 3-6 month period and I know it largely depends on metabolism and genetics but what would be considered a reasonable expectation? I don't want to go in to this expecting a 90 pound weight loss in 90 days (it's happened to some people) and end up significantly short of that.

You weigh 366 and your goal weight is 190....so your excess weight is 176 pounds.

Most people will, overall, in the course of 18 months...lose about 60-70% of their excess weight.

So, you can expect to lose about 105-123 pounds in 18 months if you have average results.

A loss of 18% of your excess weight is possible in the first month after surgery....or, for you, about 31 pounds.

Your monthly loss will decrease from there.

My guess is that your 90 day loss will be about 65-75 pounds if you have average weight loss.

But again...everyone is individual. Some people will lose more, others will lose less. Some will get stuck in stalls. It just depends on your body's reaction to change and your commitment to changing your eating habits and exercise.

Edited by Creekimp13

Poop...you should re-figure that using your weight at the time of surgery...not your starting weight.

I started at 220 at VSG surgery... and 12 months later I've lost 60 pounds and been through 2 stalls... I'm still 10-20 pounds from my goal weight... on the opposite end of the spectrum my cousin had RNY and 7 months later has lost 10p pounds and is at her goal weight... everyone is different and every surgery is different... your results will depend on many factors... expect less and hope for more and you won't be disappointed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry that should say my cousin lost 100 pounds not 10p

Gender plays a big role too. I have seen men lose much faster than women.

I am 11 weeks out and down 57 lbs. I am hoping that I get to 70 lbs down by my 3 month surgery date.

My surgeon says I'm twice as big as I should be for my frame. Shoot that's nearly a quarterback I've been lugging around. Doubt I lose that much but I'm gonna give it a try. I'm pretty inside, time to redesign the outside to match. Tom Brady or Brett Farve, bye bye.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

You weigh 366 and your goal weight is 190....so your excess weight is 176 pounds.
Most people will, overall, in the course of 18 months...lose about 60-70% of their excess weight.
So, you can expect to lose about 105-123 pounds in 18 months if you have average results.
A loss of 18% of your excess weight is possible in the first month after surgery....or, for you, about 31 pounds.
Your monthly loss will decrease from there.
My guess is that your 90 day loss will be about 65-75 pounds if you have average weight loss.
But again...everyone is individual. Some people will lose more, others will lose less. Some will get stuck in stalls. It just depends on your body's reaction to change and your commitment to changing your eating habits and exercise.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:54 PM, AGreenEyedWolf said:

I started at 220 at VSG surgery... and 12 months later I've lost 60 pounds and been through 2 stalls... I'm still 10-20 pounds from my goal weight... on the opposite end of the spectrum my cousin had RNY and 7 months later has lost 10p pounds and is at her goal weight... everyone is different and every surgery is different... your results will depend on many factors... expect less and hope for more and you won't be disappointed

Jules, we have the same stats. I'm 226 right now, but hope (fingers crossed) to be down another 6 lbs in 10 days. Surgery is on the 20th. That's what I'm expecting but would like it more at 6months lost than 12. What kind of diet are you following now, may I ask? What level of activity do you have?

Thank you so much!!

Edited by FluffyChix

Jules, we have the same stats. I'm 226 right now, but hope (fingers crossed) to be down another 6 lbs in 10 days. Surgery is on the 20th. That's what I'm expecting but would like it more at 6months lost than 12. What kind of diet are you following now, may I ask? What level of activity do you have?

Thank you so much!!

Yay...so happy to see you have a surgery date for this month!!!

I had surgery 12/20 and i am down almost 40 lbs. they set your diet for you— high Protein, no carbs and no sugar for at least 6 weeks. First few weeks is liquid protein

I’m 5’6... heaviest was 242- Started 236 on surgery date.

One of my favorite go to chart. Hope this helps, but remember this is only an average. Everyone's different

20171121_143523.png

I really feel that the 60-70% averages include too many people who either fall off wagon or really don't follow diet. I mean we all have moments, but if you are working out and keeping moderate track of food, you can hope for more.

And, that is where I think the above from 46w4kids is probably really good for those who are really following directions. Important to keep that, and the fact that individuals can vary-- you could follow all the "rules" and experience a stall.