Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Year Post VSG - Support Group for regain or staying in shape??

Hi All!

I had VSG in November of 2015. I got down to 163 last spring, but since I have regained and am at 188. My father was hospitalized and suffered a double pulmonary embolism. It completely sidetracked my self-care and was emotionally a really bad several months. Thankfully he has recovered. Since then I have been struggling to get back on track. I now feel better and ready to commit to taking care of myself again.

I'm just reaching out to see if there is anyone in the same boat. If so what are you doing? I was thinking to try and do liquids again, but I don't really have a plan. I'm not sure how long I should do Protein Shakes and water/vitamins. My amazing doc said I should stick to 1200kcals/day using whole foods instead of shakes. I'm just not confident that I have the control to eat regular foods and stick to my calories. At least I haven't been doing well at that since I met with him in November. :\

Thanks for the responses!

Check with your surgeon to see if they run a support group. My surgeon’s practice does, though I won’t be able to go to a meeting for the first time post-surgery until March.

I'm in the same boat! 2.5 years post op and between the hurricanes and a traumatic year filled with hospitalizations and an adoption, self care was placed on the back burner and I regained 17lbs. Support at my surgeons office is nonexistent so I came here looking for advice as well. For starters, I restarted my Vitamins, am tracking my Protein and my Water. I feel like that's where my biggest mistakes were made. I'd love to hear some others solutions!

Stomach RESET diet to get your pouch "tuned. SEE ATTACHMENT.

5DAYreset.thumb.jpeg.cf7e9d008b6e6806f4a70d28b62991b4.jpeg

I'm coming up on my one year anniversary but feeling the same as you - time to hunger back down and get focused again. I haven't gained any weight but have been stuck at the same weight for at least 2 months. My diet isn't "bad" but I've taken to grazing a bit too often.

No matter what it still comes off sounding like an excuse/reason to eat but one of my bigger struggles since surgery has beeing staying regular. I've tried to work more greens into my diet because as we all know it isn't easy to get many in after focusing on your protien source at meal time. Unfortunately that's led me back to dealing with more head hunger and feeling like I need to eat something every 3-4 hours. For the first few months I had no choice. My doc would lecture me about eating more than 3 meals a day, but there was simply no way in hell I could get my daily Protein in through food sources alone. Didn't have a choice but to spread things out into 4-5 "meal" in a day. That's led to a nice maintaining diet, but it's not letting me lose weight. I'm happy that I didn't gain any weight over the holiays despite my wife making a metric ton of Cookies this year...lol.

This week I'm focusing on cutting out as many useless carbs that I can. From easing up on my coffee creamer to any little things like those 5 croutons in my salad that can go. Haven't been doing Protein Shakes that much so I'm going to get at least one in a day. This week I'm going to try replacing my normal lunchtime salad with the shake, move my salad to dinner time and figure out something new/different to do for Breakfast.

12 hours ago, KenpoQT said:

Hi All!

I had VSG in November of 2015. I got down to 163 last spring, but since I have regained and am at 188. My father was hospitalized and suffered a double pulmonary embolism. It completely sidetracked my self-care and was emotionally a really bad several months. Thankfully he has recovered. Since then I have been struggling to get back on track. I now feel better and ready to commit to taking care of myself again.

I'm just reaching out to see if there is anyone in the same boat. If so what are you doing? I was thinking to try and do liquids again, but I don't really have a plan. I'm not sure how long I should do Protein Shakes and water/vitamins. My amazing doc said I should stick to 1200kcals/day using whole foods instead of shakes. I'm just not confident that I have the control to eat regular foods and stick to my calories. At least I haven't been doing well at that since I met with him in November. :\

I hope your father is still doing well. Time to put your selfcare back into practice. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for. You can do this.

Getting back on track can be done. Whenever you struggle, get back on the horse. Be consistent not perfect.:)

I can relate. I had a gain in my third year. I just got my weight back down.

I miss the days of fast weight loss. I had to do some trial and error on what foods help me feel full.

• I don't do shakes. I don't feel satisfied on liquids.
  • I log my food.(myfitnesspal) I'm hitting around 1200/1300 calories and low carb.
  • I increased my Protein goal. (building more muscle and helps with hunger)
  • I eat vegetables with meals. The Fiber and bulk help keep my calories in range and hunger down
  • I keep healthy options for salty and sweet cravings on hand.
  • I keep my temptations foods out of the house..lol
  • Lots of water..(I use crystal light for flavor)
  • I eat about every 2 to 3 hours
  • Exercise/activity

Make a grocery shopping list. Plan your food and meals.

• Protein choices - Beef chicken pork fish eggs dairy Beans (I'm sure there are more)
  • spices. (Fresh garlic pre peeled and in a bag) (taco/fajita) (grill mates marinades)
  • Fresh veggies and fruit

Bariatric friendly recipes this is my dieticians website.

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

I have some repeat items that I don't have to cook.... lol some days are just busy

• tuna pouches
  • Pre cooked hard boiled eggs (they sell them in the delli area of winco and walmart)
  • Dannon light n fit greek yogurt
  • John soules pre cooked chicken breast strips freezer aisle (chicken fajitas)
  • Smoked salmon
  • canned chicken
  • marketside fresh steamable vegetables (walmart) french green beans I add bacon bits and sliced almonds) (Brussel Sprouts topped with parmesan cheese) (Riced Cauliflower)
  • dole - Bag salad
  • Sweet cravings Strawberries dipped in hershey's sugar free Syrup . Apples dipped in smuckers sugar free caramel syrup)
  • Salty cravings Beef Jerky and Quest BBQ protein chips dipped in salsa
  • jimmy dean turkey sausage breakfast links (frozen bag winco)

2 hours ago, jenn1 said:

I hope your father is still doing well. Time to put your selfcare back into practice. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for. You can do this.

Getting back on track can be done. Whenever you struggle, get back on the horse. Be consistent not perfect.:)

I can relate. I had a gain in my third year. I just got my weight back down.

I miss the days of fast weight loss. I had to do some trial and error on what foods help me feel full.

• I don't do shakes. I don't feel satisfied on liquids.
  • I log my food.(myfitnesspal) I'm hitting around 1200/1300 calories and low carb.
  • I increased my Protein goal. (building more muscle and helps with hunger)
  • I eat vegetables with meals. The Fiber and bulk help keep my calories in range and hunger down
  • I keep healthy options for salty and sweet cravings on hand.
  • I keep my temptations foods out of the house..lol
  • Lots of water..(I use crystal light for flavor)
  • I eat about every 2 to 3 hours
  • Exercise/activity

Make a grocery shopping list. Plan your food and meals.

• Protein choices - Beef chicken pork fish eggs dairy Beans (I'm sure there are more)
  • spices. (Fresh garlic pre peeled and in a bag) (taco/fajita) (grill mates marinades)
  • Fresh veggies and fruit

Bariatric friendly recipes this is my dieticians website.

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

I have some repeat items that I don't have to cook.... lol some days are just busy

• tuna pouches
  • Pre cooked hard boiled eggs (they sell them in the delli area of winco and walmart)
  • Dannon light n fit greek yogurt
  • John soules pre cooked chicken breast strips freezer aisle (chicken fajitas)
  • Smoked salmon
  • canned chicken
  • marketside fresh steamable vegetables (walmart) french green Beans I add bacon bits and sliced almonds) (Brussel Sprouts topped with parmesan cheese) (Riced Cauliflower)
  • dole - Bag salad
  • Sweet cravings Strawberries dipped in hershey's sugar free Syrup . Apples dipped in smuckers sugar free caramel syrup)
  • Salty cravings Beef Jerky and Quest BBQ protein chips dipped in salsa
  • jimmy dean turkey sausage Breakfast links (frozen bag winco)

Have I told you lately that I love you? I do. I really do. :780_sparkling_heart:

13 hours ago, KenpoQT said:

Hi All!

I'm so sad to hear of your struggles, but so glad your dad recovered and is doing well now!!! Get back on it. You CAN do this!

I came across this thread today as I am struggling with regain and desperate for help.

Had lost nearly 100 lbs since surgery in October 2015. Nearly a year ago my husband lost his job (actually career - he is very specialized) and had a complete unraveling and nervous breakdown, complete with meds and unreimbursed therapy sessions of all types.

I became depleted, angry and exhausted and turned to my old drug food for comfort. Am now up 30 lbs and my self-care, self-esteem, confidence and energy are out the window.

I have heard all of the advice about needing to take care of myself - easier said than done however, especially when the source of distress is living with you.

With so much going on it is hard for me to get back on track - however knowing myself I would do well on an easy to follow regiment of shakes/bars etc Not having to think about food preparation for few weeks and seeing visible results would be what I need to get back to myself. I actually miss that feeling of fullness from the beginning of the process and fear that I have "wrecked" my sleeve!

I have been eating "Pure Protein" bars but they just make me hungrier.

Any suggestions for wanting to keep things simple while getting refocused?

peace and thanks to all.

20 minutes ago, Shakti said:

I came across this thread today as I am struggling with regain and desperate for help.

Had lost nearly 100 lbs since surgery in October 2015. Nearly a year ago my husband lost his job (actually career - he is very specialized) and had a complete unraveling and nervous breakdown, complete with meds and unreimbursed therapy sessions of all types.

I became depleted, angry and exhausted and turned to my old drug food for comfort. Am now up 30 lbs and my self-care, self-esteem, confidence and energy are out the window.

I have heard all of the advice about needing to take care of myself - easier said than done however, especially when the source of distress is living with you.

With so much going on it is hard for me to get back on track - however knowing myself I would do well on an easy to follow regiment of shakes/bars etc Not having to think about food preparation for few weeks and seeing visible results would be what I need to get back to myself. I actually miss that feeling of fullness from the beginning of the process and fear that I have "wrecked" my sleeve!

I have been eating "Pure Protein" bars but they just make me hungrier.

peace and thanks to all.

I'm sorry to hear the pain and stress you are feeling. You have not wrecked your sleeve.

Start small on your selfcare. Some things to think about or try...

• Your stress seems to be at home. Doing activities out of the house might clear your mind. Go for a walk or to the library. Mind ,body and spirit takes a lifetime of work:)
  • Will a diet of Protein Bars and shakes make you feel deprived and more hungry? WIll bars and shakes be sustainable long term to lose weight?

this is my example of light to no prep --- Would this be doable for you?

here is what a day of food can look like:

Breakfast:

2 Dannon light n fit yogurt and two jimmy dean turkey sausage (microwave and your done)

Snack:

Quest oatmeal cookie chocolate chip bar

Lunch:

Cobb salad I break this into two meals..I can't eat this in one sitting

7 oz Canned chicken 3.4 oz bagged salad sunflower crunch kit add some bacon bits and sunflowerseeds from the kit if you like. 1 Wholly guacamole mini cup. (your decision if you want to add dressing)

Dinner:

6 oz Frozen pre cooked fajita chicken strips (john soules)(microwave and done)

3 oz frozen green,red peppers and onion strips..(Microwave and done)

1/2 flat out bread lite (weight watchers)

Salsa

snack :

6 fresh strawberries 2 tablespoons sugar free hershey's chocolate Syrup to dip them in.

Myfitnesspal log estimate -

Calories 1036

Protein 131 -

carbs 73 -

fats 33.

Thank you Jenn1 Your suggestions are simple and easy to prepare and I appreciate the support. I think tracking will help too, as unfortunately I am of the mind that calories only count if you write them down (ridiculous, I know!) and I haven't tracked for a very long time.

So speaking of the sleeve...you cannot actually stretch it to pre-surgery size? I want to regain that self-control that I was so proud of for awhile (and fit into the new clothes which are tight - ugh!)

Thanks

5 hours ago, Shakti said:

Hard to go past the FIVE DAY pouch reset DIET.

Try it! (It's actually posted as a photo earlier in this thread.)

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

9 hours ago, Shakti said:

So speaking of the sleeve...you cannot actually stretch it to pre-surgery size? I want to regain that self-control that I was so proud of for awhile (and fit into the new clothes which are tight - ugh!)

Thanks

The stretchy part of the stomach is what gets removed during surgery. While there are some cases out there where people have overeaten on a regular basis and stretched their sleeve out to an extent it's not possible to get it back to where you orginally were. There is also the misconception that being able to eat a large portion of slider foods means your stomach is back to its old size.

I've avoided things like Protein bars because they never leave me satisfied. If anything they make me hungrier too. Finding some good quick-fix options are important to have. For me a lot of times some beef Jerky and almonds provide a good fix. food prepping can be a challenge at times, but also keep in mind when we food prep we can make things last. In the old days when I made chicken salad that might last for 3 meals at best. Now I could make it last for 6-8.

I'm on day 2 of a strict low carb diet and it feels good to be back on track. I've gotten discouraged as well since the scale has been stuck. Getting active on the forum again has helped motivate me. I maintain that for many of us this is no different than recovering alcoholics attending AA meetings. It's always going to be a battle. Some days/weeks/months/years will be easier than others. Main thing is to remember that you're not the only one fighting these battles and we can all use support from time to time.