Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm waiting for my at-home sleep study on January 23. This wasn't required by my surgeon but I requested it because I can't breathe well when I sleep on my back and I know post-op I'll need to sleep on my back for awhile. (I'm currently using a wedge pillow but it doesn't help much with the breathing issue. Definitely more comfortable, though!) The sleep doc recommended it as well due to the increased risk of difficulty breathing while on pain meds immediately post-op. I'm not saying that I hope I have OSA or anything, but I would feel a lot less anxious if I had a mouthpiece or CPAP machine to use for the first little while after surgery. We'll see.

Sorry to interrupt... but my doctor literally asked me if I had sleep apnea & I said no .. so I didn't need to do a test. Reading this post though is kind of scary. Would you know if you have sleep apnea without taking a test??

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Sprinkles1 said:

Sorry to interrupt... but my doctor literally asked me if I had sleep apnea & I said no .. so I didn't need to do a test. Reading this post though is kind of scary. Would you know if you have sleep apnea without taking a test??

My surgeon had a little questionnaire to fill out, like on a scale of 1 to 5 how often does X or Y happen (ex: chance of falling asleep after lunch, chance of falling asleep while sitting quietly, etc.) and depending on that she made her recommendation for testing or not. (I always pass those tests because I sleep on my belly and don't have breathing issues - only when I try to sleep on my back do I feel the issue.) Usually the main symptoms of sleep apnea are severe snoring, gasping while sleeping, and higher than average daytime sleepiness.

7 hours ago, Sprinkles1 said:

Also, neck circumference of 18" is indicative.

Hi - I'm in the same boat as you. I went to the pulmonologist last year for my severe asthma and she gave me a sleep study to take home. I guess it was pretty bad because I scored a 34. I have not had a sleep study since then and was not told I should have a CPAP machine. Fast forward a year later and I need pulmonary clearance for the surgery. New pulmonologist says I MUST have a CPAP machine and orders one through my insurance. (Other pulmonologist is no longer in the office). UGH, so now I'm playing the "waiting game" for the insurance to get back to me regarding my machine. I have to go back in 3 weeks for pulmonary follow up and just want my clearance already.

So I feel you... hang in there. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue, good things happen to those who wait, blah blah blah, and everything else not to get ticked off :)

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Hi - I'm in the same boat as you. I went to the pulmonologist last year for my severe asthma and she gave me a sleep study to take home. I guess it was pretty bad because I scored a 34. I have not had a sleep study since then and was not told I should have a CPAP machine. Fast forward a year later and I need pulmonary clearance for the surgery. New pulmonologist says I MUST have a CPAP machine and orders one through my insurance. (Other pulmonologist is no longer in the office). UGH, so now I'm playing the "waiting game" for the insurance to get back to me regarding my machine. I have to go back in 3 weeks for pulmonary follow up and just want my clearance already.

So I feel you... hang in there. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue, good things happen to those who wait, blah blah blah, and everything else not to get ticked off :)

So I feel you... hang in there. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue, good things happen to those who wait, blah blah blah, and everything else not to get ticked off [emoji4]

Wishing you the best as well!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

My score was 32. I have an appt to get my CPAP machine 2 weeks from now -- 3 months after my overnight study. Hope you don't experience the delays I have!

54 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

My score was 32. I have an appt to get my CPAP machine 2 weeks from now -- 3 months after my overnight study. Hope you don't experience the delays I have!

Omg. I am hoping to have surgery 3 weeks after my sleep study! Not sure I could even the machine in time, now. Blah.

28 minutes ago, Little Green said:

Omg. I am hoping to have surgery 3 weeks after my sleep study! Not sure I could even the machine in time, now. Blah.

Just stay on top of it (not that this helped me that much, LOL). My local sleep center uses a middleman that gets approval from your PCP for the equipment, and then gets insurance approval. After that point, another company steps in arranges for someone to go to your house for the initial training and setup. My middleman was pretty bad, made a few time-consuming errors, like sending my information to the surgeon instead of my PCP, where it sat for a long time.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I scored a 5 and they're making me do 14 consecutive days of using the cpap machine before I can send all my stuff to insurance. I have to use it for a minimum of 4 hours but, that's actually kinda hard. The first night I did it, but the next 4 days I kept waking up with it off my face. So I had to start all over for the 14 days. I'm hoping for no more road bumps and to finally get on with my insurance and surgery.

Wishing everyone else good luck!