Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first post but I’ve been reading a lot of threads on this site and have found them helpful.

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 26th and I’m having last minute doubts. I don’t want to go into this with doubts but if I postpone it will cost more money (we’ve met out of pocket max this year but that goes out the window Jan 1st). I also went through a lot to get here: facing disapproving parents, nutritional visits, psych eval, endoscopy, group meetings, etc. not to mention hundreds of hours of research. I feel like if I’m going to do this, now is the time.

my BMI is 34, but with drinking tons of Water and wearing my heaviest clothes I was able to get covered by insurance. The reason I decided to pursue the sleeve is because I have Arthritis in my hip resulting from Perthes disease as a child. I need a hip replacement, but since I’m 38 my orthopedist says to wait as long as possible. My hope is that losing 60 lbs could help me postpone a hip replacement, and keeping the weight off could maybe decrease the number of hip replacements I need in my life. Also, I’m in constant hip pain and need Tylenol pm to sleep. I’m desperate to feel better.

furthermore, my cholesterol is high for the first time ever, I needed IVF to have children due to PCO (no S since I don’t have the full blown syndrome), and my family history is atrocious (almost everyone has had diabetes and heart attack by 60). I have a double MTHFR gene mutation that makes me higher risk for clots and heart disease.

that being said, I am leading an active life, am the mom to 3 year old twins, am strong, and I don’t look too bad. I’m muscular so I carry a 34bmi well. I only mention that because sometimes when I look in the mirror I wonder if I’m crazy for taking such drastic measures. Im sure I’d look better if I lost my excess weight but that is truly not a motivation for me.

Is this too drastic for someone with 34bmi? I don’t have diabetes or hbp or super high cholesterol or sleep apnea... I guess there is a line where the risks outweigh the benefits. Like a BMI of 30 with no comorbidities, I’d say it’s not worth it. But for me??? I don’t want to live with regrets.

Please share your thoughts. I’m terrified of making the wrong decision.

Also, every advice I read says to start exercising and following a bariateic diet before surgery. I haven’t done that because if I lost even one pound insurance would’ve denied me. But that leaves me worrying that I won’t be successful because I haven’t prepared. But if I try to lose naturally and only lose 20lbs and then decide I need the surgery, I would be disqualified from it. Ugh. I just don’t know what to do.

My high bmi was 35. I felt awful, had high cholesterol, pretty diabetes and high BP. I'm 5'2" and felt like a frumpy, dumpy blob.

I was 32 bmi the day of surgery. I feel so much better! Joints don't hurt, I have better endurance and lastly I'm so much smaller. I don't feel like I'm going to die young any more.

I have zero regrets. I have lost a total of 46#, and had an easy recovery. I woke up in no pain, and I feel satisfied eating my tiny portions. I always ate because it was there, and now I feel like I have a reason to turn food away. It feels empowering.

Lots of folks wonder if their making the right decision. But for me, I knew everything I had failed at, the scales 15 year trend going up, and just knew I had no other option.

I'm worried about long term success, but so far so good (4 months).

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, GassyGurl said:

My high bmi was 35. I felt awful, had high cholesterol, pretty diabetes and high BP. I'm 5'2" and felt like a frumpy, dumpy blob.

:rolleyes: This! And you've lost 50 pounds -- bet that feels good! There's a set of 25# dumbells in my media room and I move them one at a time when I'm vacuuming -- all the while lugging that and then some extra pounds along with me everywhere i go.

@Lotte22 , with your genetic profile, I would have the surgery. I know someone who had her stomach removed because she has genes for a particularly deadly form of stomach cancer -- as did her sister and daughter.

Just do it! Best thing I ever did and I had the same BMI as you and I'm the same age. No more meds and I ran 2 miles this morning with no aches or pains.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Also, every advice I read says to start exercising and following a bariateic diet before surgery. I haven’t done that because if I lost even one pound insurance would’ve denied me. But that leaves me worrying that I won’t be successful because I haven’t prepared. But if I try to lose naturally and only lose 20lbs and then decide I need the surgery, I would be disqualified from it. Ugh. I just don’t know what to do.

Been there, done that! At my first visit, I was told that I couldn't even lose 1# or I'd be denied. I couldn't fathom going through 4 months of classes, counseling etc and not being able to lose a pound. It was too risky, so I just shopped around for a self pay package and went for it.

I probably could have used the hernia route as plan B, but I made up my mind that I was blessed enough to be able to afford it, so I decided to just do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think that a 34 bmi as a female should be fine for wls. Doubts are normal. Don't listen to them in this case. Your brain is super powerful, and wants you to stay overweight/obese. Many of these doubts end up in...I should be able to do it on my own. However, they begin in...My lifestyle will have to change. My eating habits will have to change. I will have to give up many of my favorite foods, and won't be able to drink alcohol. What will people say or think? What if I fail? What if I have complications from surgery?

These are just a few that I felt myself, and have read in this very forum over and over again. Some are true. Some are not. Your lifestyle and eating habits will have to change, but is that a bad thing? Your relationship with food is going to jeopardize your health in the long-run. I never had health issues...Until I had them this year. I still enjoy most of my favorite foods, but in a healthy way. I also only have them every once in a while. I will be having my first alcoholic drink on New Years Eve. I don't care what people think, nor am I afraid of failing. This tool is helping me to do what I need to do to ensure my long-term success. I didn't have any complications from surgery, so that is good. The chances of having complications are very small. You can lower them even more by choosing a reputable surgery team with proven success, following your plan to a "T", staying hydrated, and walking as much as possible before and after surgery.

You'll be fine. You've jumped through all of the hoops, because you obviously felt that you needed this. Do it for you!

I was extremely nervous before my surgery too. It's totally normal to second guess yourself. But just remember everything will be okay and this is the best thing for you to do for your health. The complication rate is extremely low so let that comfort you. It's similar to having your gallbladder removed laparoscopically in my opinion. You'll be fine. Time to get to the next chapter in your life. Good luck.

You CAN DOOOOO EEEEEEEETTTTTT!

I feel much better after my surgery. No more knee pain, no more back pain. I am down a total of 80 lbs since my highest weight (February 2017), Surgery date I was down 40 lbs (9/25/2017). Since surgery 2 months ago I have lost 40 lbs (12/6/2017).

It is a big decision, one that I am 100% happy I did.

I thought about doing WLS surgery about 10 years ago, it would have been the LapBand, I am glad I procrastinated, as now we know more about the LapBand high % of failure. The good thing about the sleeve is, it does not have a single point of blockage, with a full size stomach beyond it. It is a much better design.

You rock dude! Congrats and keep it up! So happy to hear about the pain alleviation! I'm praying for that for myself!

I had a BMI of 35. I’m 27 and didn’t want to see the scale keep going up as I get older. I needed this tool to help me find a new healthier normal :)

This is my first post but I’ve been reading a lot of threads on this site and have found them helpful.
My surgery is scheduled for Dec 26th and I’m having last minute doubts. I don’t want to go into this with doubts but if I postpone it will cost more money (we’ve met out of pocket max this year but that goes out the window Jan 1st). I also went through a lot to get here: facing disapproving parents, nutritional visits, psych eval, endoscopy, group meetings, etc. not to mention hundreds of hours of research. I feel like if I’m going to do this, now is the time.
my BMI is 34, but with drinking tons of Water and wearing my heaviest clothes I was able to get covered by insurance. The reason I decided to pursue the sleeve is because I have Arthritis in my hip resulting from Perthes disease as a child. I need a hip replacement, but since I’m 38 my orthopedist says to wait as long as possible. My hope is that losing 60 lbs could help me postpone a hip replacement, and keeping the weight off could maybe decrease the number of hip replacements I need in my life. Also, I’m in constant hip pain and need Tylenol pm to sleep. I’m desperate to feel better.
furthermore, my cholesterol is high for the first time ever, I needed IVF to have children due to PCO (no S since I don’t have the full blown syndrome), and my family history is atrocious (almost everyone has had diabetes and heart attack by 60). I have a double MTHFR gene mutation that makes me higher risk for clots and heart disease.
that being said, I am leading an active life, am the mom to 3 year old twins, am strong, and I don’t look too bad. I’m muscular so I carry a 34bmi well. I only mention that because sometimes when I look in the mirror I wonder if I’m crazy for taking such drastic measures. Im sure I’d look better if I lost my excess weight but that is truly not a motivation for me.
Is this too drastic for someone with 34bmi? I don’t have diabetes or hbp or super high cholesterol or sleep apnea... I guess there is a line where the risks outweigh the benefits. Like a BMI of 30 with no comorbidities, I’d say it’s not worth it. But for me??? I don’t want to live with regrets.
Please share your thoughts. I’m terrified of making the wrong decision.

Nope, you have other co-morbidities. So just go for it, it's not about being super tiny, it's about feeling your best and being the healthiest you can be. The choice is always yours but given what you just said all of those other health problems would go away if you had the surgery. You've already come this far.

I had to actually eat myself to the appropriate BMI in order to get my insurance to cover it, because i did not have any other health problems. But it was the best decision i've ever made for myself, 1 year later and i couldn't be healthier and happier. It changed my life, and i wouldn't call it a drastic change. You would be bettering yourself.

Thanks everyone. It’s been really hard on me dealing with my parents being totally against this and making comments about how sad it would be if my children loose their mother. It was freaking me out. But my husband fully supports me and I’ve decided to go for it. Surgery is the day after Christmas!!