Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Sizes

Anyone else has the impression that the actual size of clothes changed over the time of years? I can remember when about 20 years ago I wore a size M - about 40 or 42 EU size.

Well, I now wear that size again since a whole while, even though I still weigh about 7 kg more than I was back then. I have the impression that the same size now means a bigger dress. Anyone else?

Edited by summerset

Yes! I have a pair of "goal jeans" from 2002, that are a size 15. I can't quite zip them yet. I am now buying newer pants in size 10 - 14. It's weird, I keep taking the wrong size to the dressing room.

2 hours ago, Ldyvenus said:

Yes! I have a pair of "goal jeans" from 2002, that are a size 15. I can't quite zip them yet. I am now buying newer pants in size 10 - 14. It's weird, I keep taking the wrong size to the dressing room.

I *believe* that the odd numbered sizes (in the US -- not sure if this applies to the rest of the world) are for "juniors" or teens. The evens are for adults?

I "think" vanity sizing is well in use in the US, but I don't know for certain. I'm still in my "magic pants." They're 26-28s that fit me at 325lbs and still fit me at 229lb! LOL. So I've no idea what "real size" I wear! One day, no doubt, when I'm embarrassingly "pantsed" in public, I'll be forced to go shopping! *snort* :460_circus_tent:

Edited by FluffyChix

Yep, it's true! I have my degree in fashion design so we learned all about the screwed up sizing. Sizes used to be far, far smaller, which is why you see Marilyn Monroe (with a 24 inch waist) being a size 12. There was a movement along the way to standardize sizing, but that isn't profitable for stores. Where are you gonna shop, the place were you can fit into an 8 or a 14? People really care about the sizes. I wear a medium in Target brand dresses, but a 16/18 in Torrid jeans (but a 00 in their dresses). It's totally screwed!

And now it's happening for men, too. A 32 pant used to mean a 32 inch waist. Well, now it doesn't it's totally arbitrary to the brand.

2 hours ago, Handy66 said:

I *believe* that the odd numbered sizes (in the US -- not sure if this applies to the rest of the world) are for "juniors" or teens. The evens are for adults?

Yep, that's true. Juniors are made with slimmer hips and thighs and usually shorter inseam.

24 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

Where are you gonna shop, the place were you can fit into an 8 or a 14? People really care about the sizes.

I buy at the store where they carry the kind of clothes I like to wear. I don't care if I wear an S, M or L so I can't relate to taht. I think it's super annoying that sizes vary from brand to brand, e. g. Odlo seems to run rather large, Endura medium and Gore extra small.

I recently got a Gore running shirt for winter, thick and with a hoodie and it's an XL - it fits perfectly not only in width but also when it comes to the length of the sleeves and I'm only 167 cm!

Now compare that to the Endura bike jacket I got in S this autumn. :lol:

20 minutes ago, summerset said:

I buy at the store where they carry the kind of clothes I like to wear. I don't care if I wear an S, M or L so I can't relate to taht.

I agree, but we are not in the majority! It's just another money making scheme, if it didn't appeal to the masses they wouldn't do it. It's really annoying though! I can't stand not having any idea what size I am when I walk in a store. I already have trouble since I've just lost 125 pounds, but add that random "proprietary sizing" on top of it and I just have to try everything on! Haha. It's customer-hostile on the broad scale, but companies only care about their own bottom line. Sigh!

12 hours ago, summerset said:

Anyone else has the impression that the actual size of clothes changed over the time of years? I can remember when about 20 years ago I wore a size M - about 40 or 42 EU size.

Well, I now wear that size again since a whole while, even though I still weigh about 7 kg more than I was back then. I have the impression that the same size now means a bigger dress. Anyone else?

Amen on the vanity sizing.

I remember a size five was an insanely small pair of jeans way back in high school. I know it's going to be a different size pair of jeans for each designer.

It pays off to try things on. I see things that look great on the hanger. I try them on and they don't hang correctly on my body.

I have slowly realized that I have to try everything on!!! I hate it too. I had a dang nightmare going to costco and trying on some jeans. They don't have a dressing room so you have to pay for them, then try them on in the freakin bathroom. Each Pair. I tried on the size I usually wear, and I went from a size 8 to a size 12 in the Jordash jeans!! Gloria Vanderville jeans were worse yet. It almost broke my heart to buy a size 12 jeans. But...IT IS WHAT IT IS!!! Right, Sherrie get over it!! LOL

I could live with the variability in sizing if the sizing charts were accurate. I almost never shop in brick and mortar stores but now have to.

Last weekend I bought a pair of pants at Ann Taylor loft in 14s. The size chart says the waist and hip for that style is 32.5/43. My waist measurements are 36/46.5. The pants are actually lose on me.

Can someone explain that?

13 minutes ago, Kat410 said:

I could live with the variability in sizing if the sizing charts were accurate. I almost never shop in brick and mortar stores but now have to.

Last weekend I bought a pair of pants at Ann Taylor loft in 14s. The size chart says the waist and hip for that style is 32.5/43. My waist measurements are 36/46.5. The pants are actually lose on me.

Dang girl! You rock bricks! I'm 229.6lbs this morning and my waist is only 41.5. :( Congrats on the 14s!!!!

1 hour ago, Kat410 said:

I love loft's styles. Mature but a little sexy sizzle . Their stores sizes are labeled smaller than they actually are. I would hate to order anything online based on their measurement chart. I would be sending things back to find a size that fits.

White house black market sizes are marked smaller than the true size.

The smaller size may make me smile but, it's still frustrating.

7 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Dang girl! You rock bricks! I'm 229.6lbs this morning and my waist is only 41.5. :( Congrats on the 14s!!!!

I am built like a brick s%%%house with a lot in the rear and thighs.

In a few hours I am going to Macy's for my first dept store shopping in the straight size section. I have done that with specific brand stores - but now I get to play with a lot of brands and shop away!