Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does your energy return?

I'm a week and a half post op and I want my energy back!

I had a really easy time with the surgery. Stopped taking pain meds after a day and have no issues moving around etc. I just have NO energy! I live in a three story home and have to take breaks on the stairs each time. How long does it usually take to start feeling normal again?

Hello Emgen,

I think everyone is a little different. I am 8 days out from surgery and for the most part, I think I am operating at 80%.

But I have not really been doing too much, I live in a three-story house. My bedroom is on the third floor,

but my doctors said steps where okay. But if you are having a hard time with steps take it easier.

Full recovery is actually 6 weeks, if you are still having issues at this point I would be worried.

When I first came home my blood sugar was low it was 68 at this point, I started drinking high Protein carnation instant

breakfast -mix and high protein milk this boosted my sugars and help stabilize me. The low sugar seemed to be tied to

my lack of energy.

It helps to make sure you are getting your fluids(64 ounces) and protein, and vitamins:) Calories at this point should be 400-600.

This is my typical day (60 grams of protein help with healing)

Breakfast Protein Shake (premier 30 grams of protein) or Carnation Instant breakfast-mix (8 to 11 ounces)

1/4 serving of cream of wheat - extremely watered down.

Water in between =16 ounces small sips over hours

Lunch - Soup creamy low sodium chicken 1/2 cup and 4 ounces of other soup creamy pumpkin(today)

Decaffeinated tea -12 ounces

Snack sugar-free Jello or pudding

Dinner Protein Shake(20 grams)11 ounces

Water in between =16 ounces small sips over hours

I am also trying to get 30 minutes of walking

Of course, I am just trying to follow what the doctors have told me to do:)

Hopefully, your energy will soon return

Honore

Fluids - how many ounces are you getting in a day? Push the fluids, and then push Protein. How many grams are you getting in?

Isopure ready-made blue raspberry is 40grams, it is tart - I mix half glass of crystal light lemonade and half protein. Don't worry at this point of waiting 30-60 minutes between liquids and protein.

At week three I started having 2 great days and then a day of exhaustion where I had to take a short nap. Rest when you need to, also I stopped getting dizzy daily - but Fluid really affects that, more fluid=less dizzy.

Good luck.

I got my energy back within a week or two. Within a week and a half I was walking a few miles a day. It gets easier once you switch to more significant liquids or foods like Greek yogurt + Protein Powder. At 5 weeks I was 80% better and started hard workouts.

But, everyone is different. Stay hydrated and eat your Protein. Add some healthy fats if you can. 3 months out my Snacks are 170 calorie NSA stevia blackberry coconut fat bombs.

It took me about 6 weeks.