Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Gastric Sleeve but I have Gout

Considering the sleeve because my weight has fluctuated literally all my life. I’m 30 and weigh 280 I have gout and I was wondering does anyone have any experience in this field. Does gout diminish or does flare post surgery?

I have read articles that indicate both. I read an article that stated that Gout may actually sometimes be a side effect of surgery. Probably a good question for the professionals.

I experience gout but it's under control with medication. I haven't had a flare up post surgery and I stopped taking my Allupurinol. Another medication I stopped taking post surgery.

I had gout prior to surgery. After surgery it would flare up something fierce. Whenever I felt an attack coming on, I would just take my medication. The key is to get out in front of it. My doctor gave me a little supply of indomathecin. If I waited too long to take it, it would be too late. At the first hint of a flare up I took it. Now 1.5 years out I never get any gout attacks.

I still have Allupurinol around just in case. By now I know what a flare up feels like. If I get the feeling, I'll certainly take my meds.

I took Allupurinol daily before my surgery. Flareups were rare when I was on the daily meds, but if I was dehydrated, or had excess red meat, or asparagus, I could get a flare up. I am 65ish days post surgery, and I have not taken a single Allupurinol since the day before surgery and have not had a single flare up, or felt anything even close to it.

I am in my late 30’s and have lived with gout for 15 years or so. My father and his father both suffered from it.

In the recent years I have mostly avoided flare ups by limiting red meat and just watching what I intake. Maybe once’s every other year.

Last year I started my RnY journey.

In November, I really ramped up my weight loss through the use of lean cuisines, smart meal choices, Protein Drinks. I really started shedding the pounds.

I am now on my 4th gout attack since November.
Left hand (a first time here)
Right ankle (pain in Achilles not top of foot like normal)
Left ankle (pain in Achilles not top of foot like normal)
Right knee (a first time here too) I’m dealing with right now.

I had my RnY done last week on 2/2.

HW 429
SW 368
CW under 350

I’ll tell you. IT SUCKS. Nothing helps with the pain. Add to that the lack of anti-inflammatory meds....The worse part is that it may be a while before it gets better.

I know long term it’s the right decision for me and my young family.

I have read and was informed by my doctor that the rapid weight loss (of muscle and fat) releases things stored in the fats and muscle that can affect uric acid levels.

44 minutes ago, eplanajr said:

I am in my late 30’s and have lived with gout for 15 years or so. My father and his father both suffered from it.

In the recent years I have mostly avoided flare ups by limiting red meat and just watching what I intake. Maybe once’s every other year.

Last year I started my RnY journey.

In November, I really ramped up my weight loss through the use of lean cuisines, smart meal choices, Protein Drinks. I really started shedding the pounds.

I am now on my 4th gout attack since November.
Left hand (a first time here)
Right ankle (pain in Achilles not top of foot like normal)
Left ankle (pain in Achilles not top of foot like normal)
Right knee (a first time here too) I’m dealing with right now.

I had my RnY done last week on 2/2.

HW 429
SW 368
CW under 350

I’ll tell you. IT SUCKS. Nothing helps with the pain. Add to that the lack of anti-inflammatory meds....The worse part is that it may be a while before it gets better.

I know long term it’s the right decision for me and my young family.

For that reason, I would do way more than the min Water they ask for - I was told 64oz a day was all I needed. However, when I was using tracking apps, based on my weight, those said 100oz/day. I have stuck to 100+ a day as much as I can, and I know it has helped. My surgeon said he was sure it was helping me to recover as fast as I did.

I am barely a week post op. I'm trying to keep my Water intake up. Still figuring this all out.

sent from a samsung s7 edge...

18 minutes ago, eplanajr said:

I am barely a week post op. I'm trying to keep my Water intake up. Still figuring this all out.

sent from a samsung s7 edge...

Good job - it's the #1 priority, Protein next, and walking next. Do those 3 and you will be good to go before you know it! Keep it up!

So since I originally authored this post I’ve started the process toward wls I have one more nutrition appointment before getting my date. I haven’t had a flare up in a year and i take cherry extract supplements everyday and my doctor suggests that I continue to take it daily after surgery so that may help you guys out

I have inflamatory arthritis, but the surgeon thought I had gout (was mis entered in the chart). He told me a flare up after surgery is very common and I couldn’t take steroids to help or NSAIDS. He said usually it improves once you lose the weight. The condition I have is sort of similar, but not uric acid related (just random joints get super inflammed and steroid injections are the only thing that helps). Luckily since surgery I’ve had less inflammation.

So I’d just be aware you may not be able to use normal meds right after surgery and may have a flare, but long term you’ll be ok.