Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking During Meals

:help:I have only been banded for about 3 1/2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone else had trouble at first with drinking Water during meals or shortly after. I have always been a big water drinker and it is very hard for me. Is this normal????? I feel like I know nothing about this thing I have done to myself.

I drink with my meals....my doc said I could......well, he said I could sip but I have been drinking with mine. I'm like you, I drink a lot of Water. Definitely less than normal with meals but more than sipping and I still drink a lot between meals too. I still stay full forever though and I haven't even had a fill yet.

I used to drink lightly with meals. I dont' so much anymore, I'm just not thirsty when I eat now. For me, it never impacted how much I ate, or how long I felt satisfied. However, there were times when I would take a sip and knew isntantly it was a bad idea, usually after eating something "gummy" like bread or crackers.

I would have to say that eating without drinking was the hardest thing for me to get used to. I started doing it during my month long pre-op diet and that really helped. Yesterday I went out to lunch and the waitress looked at me strange when I said nothing to drink, not even Water. If she only knew I was losing weight while sitting there...LOL

I read this somewhere here, try putting a glass of ice by your plate, or requesting only a glass of ice at a restaurant. What melts during your meal is what you can sip. That way you aren't drinking "too much."

This has made me feel alot better. I usually sip just a little, but I was feeling so guilty about it. The ice thing is a really good idea. I am going to try it! Thanks!!

I use to drink soooo much during meals (3-4 glasses!). I made an effort to cut back, and was down to a sip or two (small) during a meal. At first it was hard, now I don't even think about it.

I do order a drink, but some people say don't. By the time we finish our meal my glass is still completely full. If I drink during eating right now, it makes me spit up.

But if we're out to dinner or something, I always get my tea to-go, and have it later after food is moved.

The plan I'm following says No Drinking during or for 1 hour after meals. I like the idea about having the glass of ice, though. Just today at lunch I took a bite of Soup that was too hot and I had nothing cold to chase it with. OUCH!

:(

Now that you are making healthier food choices, no salty pizza and fries, and not such fried greasy things, you will get used to drinking less. Still need lots of Water, just not with or right before and after meals.

When I'm eating out I ask for a glass of Water, only because I got tired of the 3rd Degree. :-) Nothing to drink, thanks. "Would you like some Water? " No thank you. "Not even water? It's good for you!" Grrr. I understood they were just trying to be nice, but ever since I've just asked for water.

Not drinking it is easy for me. I used to always have a beer with dinner, but I gave up drinking anything with meals before my surgery...as soon as I heard "The Rule".

Sarah, I felt the same way. After my surgery, I realized how little I had researched this thing. I was just happy for the hope it provided. Now...the Water thing. I was one of those people who constantly had a bottle of water in my hand. Still am. I just have to be cautious around "feeding" time. Sometimes I forget so I put a sticky note on my water bottle stating the time I can start drinking again. Oh. And I found the trick of ordering a glass of ice at a meal to be very helpful. It makes me feel less panicky if I know I can at least get a sip of water. You know how it is if you're a big water drinker...it makes you thirsty if you know you don't have (or can't have) any.