Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often did/ do you vomit post-surgery?

Hi all,

I am just starting this process. I see the surgeon and team for first time on 12/19. I have a terrible fear of vomiting- I get panic attacks when I feel like I may get sick. Both people I know that have had gastric bypass have to throw up at least once a week. This is the only thing that scares me about surgery- I’m leaning towards the sleeve. I need to mentally prepare for this if I’m going to have to deal with the “v” on a regular basis. Any thoughts or advice?

thanks!! Megan

No vomiting yet, nauseous a couple times (prob from my vitamin). I have heard of people eating too much and needing to vomit and advancing their diet too fast which can upset the stomach. Vomiting definitely should not be a "regular" part of being sleeved.

I do not like to vomit, either. I have not heard of it being an issue if you follow the plan. I heard it's more common when you overeat or eat something that doesn't agree with you. I will be sure to try one food at a time when I get to that phase. And I'll do it very carefully, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

In 7 months, I've only vomited once, and it was from taking a Vitamin that didn't agree with me. I have a sleeve.

During the first 2 months postop, I was extraordinarily careful to eat and drink slooowwwwlllyyy, and progress through the phases slllloooowwwwlllllyyyy... I think that helped a lot. Nowadays I can eat about the same speed as always, just much smaller portions. (I should probably slow down a bit, but at least it doesn't bother my tummy).

Thank you all sooo much for your insight. I feel better already!!

I threw up 2x after surgery in the hospital and 1x at home. I'm 6 days post op and the nausea is alot better now. I can't wait to eat I am starving!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

17 minutes ago, Msdooloo said:

I threw up 2x after surgery in the hospital and 1x at home. I'm 6 days post op and the nausea is alot better now. I can't wait to eat I am starving!!!

Thanks so much. I hope it goes smoothly here on out!! Did you have the sleeve?

Yes I had sleeve on 10/16. I can say each day I wake up I feel better. I'm still on pain meds but I'm slowly needing less and less each day. I know some people say they aren't hungry after the sleeve but I'm starving! Like literally starving lol I can't wait to eat 1 egg on Tuesday.

I'm 5 and a half months out and haven't vomited since the 1st week post op. I think being mindful of how fast you're eating, being aware of how you feel while eating, and measuring your portions will help prevent throwing up your food.

Not to scare you, but the first 4 days post op were extremely difficult for me. I constantly had a bag or cup or something with me in case I needed to throw up (and even then it was mostly just dry heaving or foam). The nausea that I felt was primarily from the anesthesia, so if you've been under before, your previous experience may give you a good idea of what to expect. Things got better with time and as gas pains went away. If you'd like a more detailed picture of my 1st week post op, feel free to look at my profile :)

Really, this surgery has been amazing for me and I wouldn't let a week of discomfort deter me from all of the positive outcomes I've seen

10 minutes ago, Msdooloo said:

Yes I had sleeve on 10/16. I can say each day I wake up I feel better. I'm still on pain meds but I'm slowly needing less and less each day. I know some people say they aren't hungry after the sleeve but I'm starving! Like literally starving lol I can't wait to eat 1 egg on Tuesday.

Congrats!! Once you get some broth or sugar free popsicles that should quell the hunger a little I’d think.

11 minutes ago, PAstudent said:

I'm 5 and a half months out and haven't vomited since the 1st week post op. I think being mindful of how fast you're eating, being aware of how you feel while eating, and measuring your portions will help prevent throwing up your food.

Not to scare you, but the first 4 days post op were extremely difficult for me. I constantly had a bag or cup or something with me in case I needed to throw up (and even then it was mostly just dry heaving or foam). The nausea that I felt was primarily from the anesthesia, so if you've been under before, your previous experience may give you a good idea of what to expect. Things got better with time and as gas pains went away. If you'd like a more detailed picture of my 1st week post op, feel free to look at my profile :)

Really, this surgery has been amazing for me and I wouldn't let a week of discomfort deter me from all of the positive outcomes I've seen

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I had anesthesia 2x before and did fine so I’m hoping it’s the same this time. It’s great to hear positive things about the surgery!! I go between nervous and excited, depending on the moment.

It's really interesting, but I didn't vomit at all until about month 6. Now I find myself more sensitive to food than ever, specifically fatty food. I had the same anxiety about barfing but honestly the agony of feeling so sick and then vomiting making me feel SO much better, I've gotten over it. I still don't enjoy it, but I take it as a gift of the surgery, not letting me eat too much fatty food.

I'm 8 months out and have not vomited at all. I thought it was guaranteed to happen for everyone, but I was shocked to find out that there are a lot of people who don't vomit.

2 hours ago, MN_Meg770 said:

I need to mentally prepare for this if I’m going to have to deal with the “v” on a regular basis. Any thoughts or advice?

Can I suggest that it maybe worthwhile to watch some episodes of FAT DOCTOR or THE OBESITY MYTH or WEIGHT LOSS WARD on Youtube?

By watching a range of episodes (about 25 altogether) in the two months prior to my own surgery, I got to see almost the whole range of others' experiences AND how the surgeons, GPs and hospital staff intervened or helped.

It might help to read some of the threads here where others have discussed how they've handled reflux/vomiting, etc.

Best wishes in getting through this period ahead.

1 minute ago, monalyssa33 said:

I'm 8 months out and have not vomited at all. I thought it was guaranteed to happen for everyone, but I was shocked to find out that there are a lot of people who don't vomit.

Eight months. Wow. Good on you. A stoic digestive system. I'm up to eleven days now and looking forward to the joy of eight months or more if I can do it.

My dietitian and surgeon were pleased for me at today's appointments but they said that people like you and me are only 8%-15% of the post-op population.

Touching wood!