Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing dedication for surgery.

I didn't stop the journey, but I definitely had doubts. I had my first appointment with the surgeon in April and I was expecting quick turnarounds with insurance. After a month of not hearing if I was approved, stress at work, and just old habits, I went back to eating ice cream every night.

I'm glad I stuck with it, though. I got back on track before surgery and lost 20 pounds before surgery at the end of June.

There are so many times I think if I hadn't had this surgery, I'd eat that donut, or pizza, or cake, or Oreo....list goes on. I feel so much better now although I know I still have to work on this for the rest of my life.

I am trying to work on myself now, as I know this will be long term. If I would've waited until my mind was right before surgery, I'd be getting fatter and more unhealthy. I'd never have had the surgery.

Good luck

Ive been having doubts sbout surgery. I know I need it! I'm just having a moment. I have a few things to deal with right now and I'll get back on the band wagon. My next dietician appointment is next month. Hopefully I didn't gain any weight. I wanted to lose, but feel bloated. Diet is off. I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes through this. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-S550TL using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes definitely I have and Im not sleeved yet either. Ive started and stopped for a variety of reasons. Mostly I was stopped by surgeons who didnt want to lose my business but even then Ive thought I could lose it without the surgery. I appreciate those surgeons input because I spent 2 years learning all about how to lose weight without surgery. But now Im convinced surgery is my best option, especially with all that Ive learned.

One Day At A Time,

Free Stanley

I almost backed out at the last minute. I was too scared to change my eating habits and lifestyle. Life is going to be hard post sleeve trust me on that. I am a food addict and am emotional eater and this has been very hard. I was sleeved 7 weeks ago.

Check out Jersey Jules on YouTube. Or Jerzy Jules. It's one or the other. It's a very inspiring couple videos. He's a NJ policeman who had the surgery 6 mos ago.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

We have doubted ourselves so often in our lives, and avoided facing feelings that make us uncomfortable. Now we have to make a full examination of our motives, find the truth, and learn to trust ourselves. It's all very hard.

I know I can diet, but I have to change my relationship to food permanently. Food has to become less important as a way to cope.

I'm in middle of my pre op journey. Sometimes I want to give up. Im an emotional eater and was scared to begin! I know I need this though. Is anyone or has anyone stopped the process and began again when their head straight. Looking for inspiration. Thanks.

i have had doubts mostly because my family . but i have tryed to get this surgery for the past 6 years and it took me til oct 13 2017 the fourth time in the program i followed all the way through finally. take your time and think it through you have to be ready to take such a big step. if i can do it i know anyone can. if u want it go for it no one can make that decision except for you. you will be fine be brave and go for it.. i dont regret nothing at the end of the day at all [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-S120VL using BariatricPal mobile app

I had doubts .. 3 months in almost 50lbs down. I loved food , was an addict, all I thought about was food. Now.. Food? I can not even be bothered to eat it, who am I? I would not have believed it would be true, I have my moments, were I miss binging but then I remember how miserable I was, the weightloss will keep going, the old food I used to eat will still be there, if I want a bite, and I have had a bite, and then decided yuck, it was not worth it, or I have a bite, happy with that bite but leave it there.

Backing out would have been the easy way out for me ( Not talking about anyone else, do whats best for you) Because I was always running away, I was just scared, but I went ahead, and there will always be an OHOH moment even after, did I do the right thing? But I do not even believe I have lost this weight till I try something on that was tight not long ago, and now lose. food is not the most important thing in the world now, health is . On a shallow note, I like feeling and looking good, already people are acting like I am super hot, when I was ignored not long ago by strangers in certain enviroments. its very odd. Thats not what is important to me , but it shows me the change is not inside of me , my weight is changing, my health related to weight has improved.

I'm in middle of my pre op journey. Sometimes I want to give up. Im an emotional eater and was scared to begin! I know I need this though. Is anyone or has anyone stopped the process and began again when their head straight. Looking for inspiration. Thanks.

Totally understandable. Many of us have felt this way. For many years I thought about surgery then I would go back to self talk of "I think I can lose this weight by myself." Well, I did lose a couple of pounds here and there then pack it al back and more. I spent so much money and time on so many different diets. Finally admitted that the sleeve was the best tool to help me lose weight. Finally got sleeved July 28, 2017. I feel this is THE best decision I have ever made for my health. I have lost a log of weight and happily still losing!!

Our brain will tell us anything to convince us and rationalize that "we're ok" and don't need help. At 325lbs (my all time highest when I could barely even wipe my a*s), or even my regain weight of 287lbs it was almost a no-brainer decision for me. Dayum! You need WLS PDQ!!!

Well, from May to now, I've gone from 287lbs down to 233.4lbs this morning. Suddenly the Fat Whisperer that lives in my head goes, "Pssst. Hey, psssst. Buddy, Wanna buy a watch?" Ok, so maybe not the watch part, but the little whispering b***h just keeps softly hammering me with how good I'm doing/looking, how successful the weight loss has been...and dammit if it doesn't pull me up short, every time. Cuz, you know, it's almost immediately followed by thoughts of what I could eat here and here and here if I didn't have the surgery--or that a glass of wine or a beer would taste great in xyz situation.

I know without a doubt, that that Fat Fuc*er would lure me into the quicksand without batting an eye. My brain wants me to stay fat and quiet, so I will keep jonesing for "the good stuff" and keep feeding it to my brain--looking for that dopamine/seratonin/heroin hit. I've absolutely no doubt in hell that at some point I would again see 287lbs or possibly even 325lbs +10-15% for added insult.

So rational me realizes that I MUST tell my Fat Whisperer to take a steamin' cup of STFU and get right with the Lord, cuz our come to Jesus meeting is going to happen. It's going to happen. And I will have a different focus--on health rather than staying in my junkie hell hole of a wrecked out body. It took me a while to get here. The path was never straight. It wasn't quick either--we're talking about years in the journey. But for me, I HAD to be at this point before I could make a rational decision to have the surgery.

Maybe you need to think about getting counseling to help you work through the stages?

(hugs-hope you can work through things quicker than I have!)

My suggestion would be to talk to a therapist and get your emotional eating issues under control before you have the surgery. I am about 5 weeks out from surgery, and I think this would be a struggle for someone who hasn't done the work before hand to get the emotions under control. Even eating a few bites too much can make you sick and miserable, and you can actually hurt yourself by overeating.

I don't want to discourage you because I think this is a wonderful tool, but definitely use this time to get your head straight. While I don't think you necessarily have to stop enjoying food, you do have to be able to accept the limitations of your pouch after surgery.