Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dr. won't tell me my fill volume

I had a fill 10/15 and my Dr. does not let his patients know how much he will put in the band. I was a little confused as to why wouldn't he give me that information?

Maybe he thinks people will obsess about it? I've heard of surgeons not telling for this reason, but they can't keep that info from you.

They're YOUR records. Tell him he can just tell you, or you will request a copy of your file (which they have to give you - it's your right by law) and read it for yourself, after his office has to do that much more work.

Hmmm.... just ask him. Then if he is evasive... ask again. Keeping on point and no rambling...just keep asking. He will think you're a nut or answer your question.

Idon't want to get him mad with me because he really can make my life with the lapband miserable. But i really would like to keep a record of it .

So request a copy of your records. You don't have to tell them why. For all they need to know, you just like having a copy on hand.

Thats a good idea. I really wish I didn't have to go through that . He is my Dr. and if I ask him how much you put in then I should get a answer without any questions asked. Then I have to turn around and go back to the dr. in 1 week. because he didn't put enough last week. I have to leave work early and I don't like taking time off if i don't have to.

I had a fill 10/15 and my Dr. does not let his patients know how much he will put in the band. I was a little confused as to why wouldn't he give me that information?

Tell him you are doing a research paper on the Lap Band, and you are interested in fill levels at different points in the journey. Specifically you could be trying to determine if aggressive fills are better/worse than conservative fill. Or that regularly scheduled fills every 2-4 weeks in the beginning versus as-needed fills. This takes the personal and emotional aspect out of the equation.

Or just say that it's your body, and you need to know!

That's right!! I need to tell him I pay his salary and I call the shots!! But I'm still scared he might hurt my bow-bow if I tell him off!!!(smiling)

I wouldn't care for that at all. Doc Wilkenfeld and his staff are always ready to answer any and all inquiries ... no matter how crazy I sound! It took me 5 years to gather enough info to even attempt this, so I'm not likely to stop wanting info now. Your doc should give you this info. It's yours.

My doctor does the same thing. He refuses to tell me what he puts into the band because he says he doesn't want his patients obsessing on the number. It bothered me at first but I guess I'm used to it now. I just figure if it's working it doesn't really matter how much is in there. Good luck on your journey.

Well, my fills are free for a year , then after that i have to pay for it myself. So i can't help but wonder if the dr. is trying to make my visits a little longer so i will still have to go to him after a year. I only need to lose 75-80lbs,and i was hoping to do that in a years time. But if I continue to get small fills i will go over that time. Ya see, i'm probably all wrong about my dr. intensions, but he make me feel like he can't tell me about the fills for a reason!!

Redgirl, when I read your first post, that is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he is just trying to secure you as a patient and reap all the money he can from you. Maybe by hiding it, you won't want to go to another doctor, etc. Who knows, in this day it is hard to understand and interpret people's motives.

Don't worry about him trying to make your life miserable. He can only do that if you allow. There are so many doctors out there now doing the procedure that you can choose any number of well qualified physicians.

According to the state board of medical examiners (I work in the medical/dental professional), they have to release your records to you within a certain amount of time. They can not withhold your records at any time due to a balance on your account and they can not charge an excessive amount to make copies. They are very limited on what they can charge.

Good luck!

I don't understand attitudes like that! I think patients should be able to know any information that is in their chart - it is YOUR chart and it should be YOUR information. But, if he isn't going to tell you there isn't much you can do about it and I'm sorry for you because I know how much I wanted to know - just to know! Remember, though, that it doesn't make much difference anyway. Your sweet spot isn't going to be anyone else's. I didn't find out my fill amounts until my fourth fill and if I had known the first three were as small as they were I would have pushed for slightly bigger ones. Who knows if I'd have gotten them though, there is a protocol that doctors follow for how much to give each fill and, fair or not, they usually stick to their guns on it. I'd keep asking, though, because if you want to know you should be able to know.

When I first got there I asked how much he was going to put in. He told me, "Just let me worry about that." I was kind of offended, and made a funny face. After he was finished, he told me what he put in. It was his call. He didn't want me making that decision. It wasn't a negotiated option. So then I was okay with it. I got 3 CCs in my 10 CC band. I was happy with that.