Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2+years post op Chronic Constipation

Hi everyone!

I have been getting constipated for years. Since the sleeve, it’s been way worse. I’ve had to take some sort of laxative.... mirilax, senna, exlax, things like those. Well, since Oct 1 I have had 2 small Bowel movements. In the past 3 days I’ve taken 8 doses or mirilax ( a few of those mixed with metamucil), Fiber pills and the other night a suppository. With NO results besides a small BM. I’m in no pain, but, am nauseous and super bloated and distended. I don’t think I have an obstruction, but I do think I need to call my PCP and surgeon Monday. I drink enough, I get enough fiber, I am active everyday.

The last thing I have an have not used yes is an enema. Lucky me right lol

Anyone experience this?

High Protein diets can lead to Constipation. I found that drinking Metamucil increased fiber and helped me in the past.

Hello,

I feel your pain. I too, suffer with chronic Constipation. I had my sleeve in November of last year. I had problems with constipation before, but not to this extent. I have tried so many things, fiber, Miralax, tea, Fleet enemas, and 2 different prescriptions for constipation. I have been to the ER 4 times with severe abdominal pain over the past several months, with xrays and ct scans, only to find out that I am severly backed up. How embarrasing. I am currently taking 2 doses of Miralax daily and a probiotic called Phillip's colon health. I have been doing this for 2 months. The combination of the two might of helped a little a few weeks ago, but for the past few weeks I have been in severe pain with only a couple of bowel movements. I have drank 3 bottles of magnesium citrate, spaced a few days apart and the only one that worked was the 3rd bottle last week.

Last week, the constipation was so bad that I had a partially blocked bowel. Horrible nausea and child bearing type pain. Now several days past that and I am having the same awful pain and constipation.

My surgeon and gastroenterologist are well aware of my problems. Yes, constipation can be an issue for some people after the sleeve. Also, if you have had other abdominal surgeries like I have (hystertectomy, colon resection, Wls and my most recent, abdominal open hernia), they are known for causing adhesions. After much research, but also coming from my surgeon, adhesions are the likely cause for the constipation.

If you haven't tried the enema, I suggest that and a bottle of magnesium citrate. If you think you may have adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries, then find out more info on that. Be sure and talk to your doctor about the constipation.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Edited by mylighthouse

6 hours ago, mylighthouse said:

Hello,

I feel your pain. I too, suffer with chronic Constipation. I had my sleeve in November of last year. I had problems with constipation before, but not to this extent. I have tried so many things, fiber, miralax, tea, Fleet enemas, and 2 different prescriptions for constipation. I have been to the ER 4 times with severe abdominal pain over the past several months, with xrays and ct scans, only to find out that I am severly backed up. How embarrasing. I am currently taking 2 doses of Miralax daily and a probiotic called Phillip's colon health. I have been doing this for 2 months. The combination of the two might of helped a little a few weeks ago, but for the past few weeks I have been in severe pain with only a couple of bowel movements. I have drank 3 bottles of magnesium citrate, spaced a few days apart and the only one that worked was the 3rd bottle last week.

Last week, the constipation was so bad that I had a partially blocked bowel. Horrible nausea and child bearing type pain. Now several days past that and I am having the same awful pain and constipation.

My surgeon and gastroenterologist are well aware of my problems. Yes, constipation can be an issue for some people after the sleeve. Also, if you have had other abdominal surgeries like I have (hystertectomy, colon resection, Wls and my most recent, abdominal open hernia), they are known for causing adhesions. After much research, but also coming from my surgeon, adhesions are the likely cause for the constipation.

If you haven't tried the enema, I suggest that and a bottle of magnesium citrate. If you think you may have adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries, then find out more info on that. Be sure and talk to your doctor about the constipation.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Do you know if there are any surgical solutions for the adhesions? I suspect that is the cause of my constipation. I worry a lot about chronic constipation after RNY, to the point of wondering if I rethink this surgery.

Star Dust,

From what my surgeon told me, and also from things that I've read, you can have surgery to remove adhesions. The problem is, that it won't take long before they come back. Doesn't sound like a good solution at all. When I had my open hernia surgery in June, my surgeon told me that he was able to break some of the adhesions apart.

I had to have my wls so that I could lose 100 pounds and get my hernia taken care of. Plus I am 46 and at 334 pounds, the health problems were starting. I am glad I had the wls, even though I have the chronic Constipation.

Hop over to the thread that I started a few weeks ago, I believe it's titled "9 months out with severe costipation". Read through it and you will find some good suggestions for constipation, especially from my friend Berry78. I am going to do some of the things she suggested. They might help you.

I have a dumb question....what are adhesions?

My surgeon told me that Miralax won't 'make' u go because it's not a stimulant. It's nice to use on a regular basis to help ur poop not be hard, because it's purpose is to draw Water into the intestine/stool. But if u want to force a BM, he recommended Milk of Magnesia.

I'm 3 weeks post op (bypass) and am having BM issues now too. Prior to surgery, I would have a BM once every 3 to 4 days. That was normal for me. Now, my BMs are fewer and farther between, and now they're round balls instead of logs (sorry for the descriptive words). So I think I'll give Milk of Magnesia (MoM) a try and see how that goes.

Has MoM worked for anyone on this thread? What are ur experiences with it? I was told its a 'gentle' stimulant, but I wonder...

I too have had Constipation issues. Was actually impacted a week after surgery. I am 2 months out now and found that Smooth Move tea got me going the next day when I hadn't had a BM in 4 days. Boy did I get cleaned out. Now I have been making a green Protein smoothie every morning for Breakfast and I take Colace twice daily. That seems to keep me "going".

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I have always had this problem. Usually have a bm
Once a week - if I am
Lucky. I started started taking a generic laxative from Walmart- it is literally 84 cents- anyway- I take two and the next day it works - very well