Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone out there had a hiatal hernia and was able to get surgery or was told they should have an open roux-en-y gastric bypass. I have been doing everything I was told and passed all my tests for 4 mos and was just told that since I have a hernia of 5 cm that I should get the bypass surgery instead. I do not want bypass. I am so disappointed and upset. I really wanted to do this. I see my dr. on oct 30 so maybe I can talk him into it. I really want this but don't want to have problems with acid reflux after. Please, please someone tell me they had a hernia repaired of this size and still got the lbs and is doing great. They told me I would have a 30% chance of slippage and my chance of complications would go from 2% to 35%. Now I don't know if I should insist on getting this. My dr. has only done about 100 of these lbs so i wonder if he is just being overly cautious. Does anyone know if you have the hernia repaired what is the difference in the recovery period or is there any? thank you so much anyone who can help me. I feel like I have lost something I havent had for a while...... HOPE

i had a large hiatal hernia prior to my surgery - my dr fixed it before placing the band. A hiatal hernia is your stomach migrating up through your diaphragm. My dr pulled it back through and put a gortex patch around the area it goes through in the diaphragm. Easy Peasy. I have no idea why a gastric bypass surgery would be recomended when the dr would have to repair the hernia anyway.

mine was large - that is all i know. I had no idea until my ugi that i even had it. No I was in the hospital on a thursday - was supposed to be released the next day but they thought i had a Pulmonary embolism because i was having chest pains (false alarm) but they kept me over night. Went home saturday morning and was back at work (desk job) monday. was a bit too soon so i worked from home for a couple days and then was back by thursday.

Hi NewBeginnings, I had the hernia but didn't know until after my lapband surgery was done. I only knew I had it because the Dr. took a picture of it. and I had to pay extra money because he had to repair it,"just my luck"!!

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone out there had a hiatal hernia and was able to get surgery or was told they should have an open roux-en-y gastric bypass. I have been doing everything I was told and passed all my tests for 4 mos and was just told that since I have a hernia of 5 cm that I should get the bypass surgery instead. I do not want bypass. I am so disappointed and upset. I really wanted to do this. I see my dr. on oct 30 so maybe I can talk him into it. I really want this but don't want to have problems with acid reflux after. Please, please someone tell me they had a hernia repaired of this size and still got the lbs and is doing great. They told me I would have a 30% chance of slippage and my chance of complications would go from 2% to 35%. Now I don't know if I should insist on getting this. My dr. has only done about 100 of these lbs so i wonder if he is just being overly cautious. Does anyone know if you have the hernia repaired what is the difference in the recovery period or is there any? thank you so much anyone who can help me. I feel like I have lost something I havent had for a while...... HOPE

I had a henia also, the doctor held his fingers up it, looked to me like about 2 inches, he repaired it while doing the lapband.

I think I had a hernia before I had my surgery. I was told by the radiologist who did the upper GI before the surgery, that my stomach emptied very slowly. I only lost about 40lbs after 4 years, kept getting filled, then sick, take Fluid out, ove and over again. Finally after gaining all but about 25 lbs back, I had a fill, then really got sick. Lost about 40lbs in 4 months. Finally they told me I had the hernia, they did repair, and I did fine, now it has been a year and it is starting all over again. Another upper GI from my family dr. says I have another hernia, but the bariatric dr. says it is probably just the pouch and the radiologist doesn't know how to diagnose it. Now all fluid out again, as I lost about 18 lbs really quickly cause I couldn't even get Water down. Now I am feeling beter, but I will probably gain wieght again. It has been a vicious cycle for me. Even worse, I had to pay for my surgery, and if the band comes out, I will have to pay for that. Don't do it, if you have a hernia. You will be miserable. I promis

I had liver surgery a couple of years ago and have already had one hernia repaired which was almost the size of the entire initial incision. Because of the extensive scar tissue and adhesions I have inside my surgeon told me that until he went in to do the lap banding he wasn't 100% sure that he would be able to do it laprascopically and if I needed open surgery that he wouldn't do it due to the major scarring I get and already have. Thankfully he was able to do the lap band with one less puncture site and moving the port position and the puncture sites (he did tell me that it was very difficult and he almost thought he wouldn't be able to complete it). He mentioned that he saw the new hernia that I have however he didn't repair it and it is something that I will look at getting fixed in the next few months.

Had hernia repair during band surgery, was told it was large, what size I don't know. Just that I was having alot of heart burn before surgery and now it's smooth sailing - none at all.

I just had surgery on October 16th. They found a hiatal herina when they went into place the band. My doctor took care of it and put the band in as well. I'm having a lot more pressure and pain than I expected originally but I think it's because there's more swelling from the hernia repair.

I don't see why your doctor couldn't do both at the same time. My doctor didn't make it seem like it was a big deal. He made it seem like it happens quite often.

Hopefully I'll be feeling better in a few days. I would get a second opinion if you're worried about it!

Hello there! I had my Lap Band surgery on Oct 15 and my surgeon discovered a "large" hernia (8cm) and he still banded me. Now, I am a bit more sensitive in my upper belly area, but it's different than the port incision. I would say you should seriously question your surgeon and possibly look for a new one.

Hey Spiritus

I just wanted to compare with someone who had a hernia as well. Do you get pain/pressure often even if you're not drinking something? I do, I'm assuming it's just because I'm extra swollen above the band and it's just taking longer to heal.

I'm sore around the incisions and especially the port incision but the chest pressure and pain is completely different. Just wanted to see if what I am feeling may be normal and if you've had any issues with it?:)

Yes I do. It was far noticeable the first couple days after surgery but it is now starting to subside. I can tell you though that if I twist or reach up with my left arm I feel a tightness - almost a tug - on my left side under my breast. My cat just used my upper belly as a mattress this morning right at that same spot and I just needed to take my lortab.

There is a different kind of pressure up above, way above like just above my breastbone. In a few days it will go down. The best thing to use is a heating pad and wear no bra.

Maybe your doctor can order an ugi to check the size of your hernia. If it is 8 or so, I don't see why he can't fix it while he gives you the band. Be aware though that you should take off a few more days off if you have that repair done.

:rain:

I think you'll be fine!