Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a little over 3 weeks post-op, and can only eat about 4 ounces of food per sitting. Let me just say that I am not complaining. I am merely curious, so I thought that I would ask. How much can you eat in a sitting? It seems that 1/2 cup of food each meal would make it hard for me to actually eat a full meal short of soups/stews.

I thawed out some beef stew leftovers that I made a few weeks ago. I served my wife and 13 year old a small bowl. I then put a small coffee cup on the scale, and set it to start weighing. I added in a few tablespoons of stew (minus the beef). I was at 4oz rather quickly. I then showed my daughter, which had a good laugh. After smashing everything down, I ate it up (Well, not before adding in some sriracha!). Well, I stopped a bite or two short of finishing it.

How much can you throw down in a sitting?

IMG_3598.JPG

I'll be 3 years post-op in November, and I *still* max out at 4 ounces. That is "stuffed to the brim, cannot eat another bite" status for me. Most of my "meals" are around 3 oz.

(This isn't the norm, though. Most people can eat much more.)

52 minutes ago, dashofsunshine said:

I'll be 3 years post-op in November, and I *still* max out at 4 ounces. That is "stuffed to the brim, cannot eat another bite" status for me. Most of my "meals" are around 3 oz.

(This isn't the norm, though. Most people can eat much more.)

Can I ask what your daily eating like is? 3 years post only 4 ounce still is pretty amazing!

55 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

I am a little over 3 weeks post-op, and can only eat about 4 ounces of food per sitting. Let me just say that I am not complaining. I am merely curious, so I thought that I would ask. How much can you eat in a sitting? It seems that 1/2 cup of food each meal would make it hard for me to actually eat a full meal short of soups/stews.

I thawed out some beef stew leftovers that I made a few weeks ago. I served my wife and 13 year old a small bowl. I then put a small coffee cup on the scale, and set it to start weighing. I added in a few tablespoons of stew (minus the beef). I was at 4oz rather quickly. I then showed my daughter, which had a good laugh. After smashing everything down, I ate it up (Well, not before adding in some sriracha!). Well, I stopped a bite or two short of finishing it.

How much can you throw down in a sitting?

IMG_3598.JPG

I am at 4 ounce of dense Protein. :) 8 weeks out. I could stop at 2 ounce if I am honest, so now I do 2 ounce meat 2 ounce veg like onions/tomatoes.

Beef stew smashed up is a soft food. I could probably eat 8 to 16 ounces of it. I wouldn't eat it because it has potatoes and stews are usually thickened with flour or cornstarch.

If you eat like that, you are going to be able to eat limitless amounts of food. Anything with a lot of liquid, that is pre-broken down, you can eat more of.

If you were eating baked chicken breast I doubt you could have more than 2 ounces.

Dense Protein is always the best option but at 3 weeks, something like a baked fish fillet is a better option than beef stew.

15 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

Can I ask what your daily eating like is? 3 years post only 4 ounce still is pretty amazing!

I do six small "meals" per day - Snacks and meals are all basically the same size, usually 5-6 bites. Sample menu is usually something like:

Breakfast - One egg poached or scrambled and one link turkey sausage (this morning I managed 3 bites of scrambled egg, and that's it. It just varies on how tight my sleeve is that day)

"Snack" 1 - handful of almonds or 1/3 cup of cottage cheese

lunch - half a fresh pack of starkist tuna over a few pieces of romaine lettuce, or a deli turkey/cheese roll up (no bread or wrap or anything) and a couple olives

"Snack" 2 - usually a Protein Shake - I run half marathons and lift heavy, so I like to have a shake after my daily run/workout. Mixed with 6 oz unsweetened almond milk, and I just sip on it for a while.

dinner - whatever I cook for that night. I cook every night for myself and my husband - I have what I call an "arsenal" of high Protein, low carb meals that I've been cooking for 3 years, and we rotate weekly menus. I add new ones as I experiment in the kitchen or find them on Pinterest. Last night dinner was low carb pesto chicken bake and my famous roasted broccoli. I managed 3 bites of chicken and 2 of broccoli.

After dinner snack - usually something like 1/3 cup light & fit yogurt, or a few baby carrots with Greek yogurt ranch. Depends on what I'm feeling like!

Sometimes I skip the after dinner snack, if I'm not hungry.

56 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Beef stew smashed up is a soft food. I could probably eat 8 to 16 ounces of it. I wouldn't eat it because it has potatoes and stews are usually thickened with flour or cornstarch.

If you eat like that, you are going to be able to eat limitless amounts of food. Anything with a lot of liquid, that is pre-broken down, you can eat more of.

If you were eating baked chicken breast I doubt you could have more than 2 ounces.

Dense Protein is always the best option but at 3 weeks, something like a baked fish fillet is a better option than beef stew.

I am still on puréed foods until next week. I wish I could have baked fish, but not yet pet my Nut. Thanks for the info though.

Hello. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and just started on puree foods. I am eating 3 to 4 ounces every couple of hours. A mix of tuna salad, egg salad, butter nut squash, and hummus, as examples. For today, I have registered approximately 71g of Protein and 975 calories. Does this feel in line with typical. Too much? I am aligning to the post op guidelines my surgeon provided ... but I do want to make sure I am not consuming too much as far as number of meals and therefore calories. Thanks for any input.

I mostly eat 4-6 oz of rotisserie chicken. Breakfast consists of bacon!!! and cheese.

For Snacks I usually have cheese or some kind of nut mix.

Hello. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and just started on puree foods. I am eating 3 to 4 ounces every couple of hours. A mix of tuna salad, egg salad, butter nut squash, and hummus, as examples. For today, I have registered approximately 71g of Protein and 975 calories. Does this feel in line with typical. Too much? I am aligning to the post op guidelines my surgeon provided ... but I do want to make sure I am not consuming too much as far as number of meals and therefore calories. Thanks for any input.

IMHO- that is quite a lot of calories for only a few weeks post OP. Maybe cut out the "salad" part and just have tuna or eggs by themselves. I don't really count calories- just protein and carbs, but my usual calorie intake at 3 months post OP is between 600-800 per day. You are doing awesome on the protein intake! I average between 70-90 per day of protein. Good luck!

I'm around 17 weeks out and eat anywhere from 650-850 calories a day, 20-40 net carbs a day, and can eat 5.5 ounces of something like yogurt, but maybe only 4 ounces of meat.< br>

On 30/08/2017 at 11:11 PM, msb-001 said:

Are you managing to reach your Water goals eating at this scedual? I am curious as I was still on liquids because i could not drink and eat lol at that stage

I will be 4 months post-op on 9/15 and I can eat 1200 calories on the days I run. How much I eat at one time really depends on the type of food. Some days I can eat 4 oz of veggies with 2oz of a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa, and other days I can only eat 1oz of grains and 2oz of veggies. I can eat a 5-6oz salad easy. For me salad seems like a slider food, but because the calorie count for greens is so low I don't care.

Beans of any sort fill me up fast and I can oly eat 2oz at the most. When I was eating meat 2-2.5 oz was about what I could eat.