Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I had my modified duodenal switch (SIPS) with Dr. Mitchell Roslin at Lenox Hill on Monday. Pretty routine except bad nausea reaction to the anesthesia which led to vomiting (NOT fun after stomach surgery let me tell you!)
I'm back at home now but still in a bit of pain - it's changed from being mostly trapped air to general achiness and stabbing if I move too quickly or adjust positions. Trying to walk as much as possible (made easier by the fact that I have a young retriever mix named Moses who loves his walks!)
Having some trouble eating/drinking my liquids (sticking to broths, sugar free popsicles, and Atkins Protein shakes.) Basically no appetite and eating feels like a burden, plus it can be painful. Trying to take my pills is even worse.
Also having some leakage on/around the incision at my belly button. Mostly clear, maybe a bit blood tinged but no redness in the area and no smell. Just annoying.
I live alone - lots of friends nearby and parents not too far away by train, but really glad this forum exists , would love some support to help get me through this rough patch!
Thanks
Elisabeth
SW: 260 CW: 254 GW: 125 5'2" with PCOS

Congrats on your surgery! Definitely keep an eye on your seeping wound. By 3 days out I don't think I had any drainage. Just keep your team informed.

See if you are allowed to crush any of your pills. Whole pills of any size are the pits for a few weeks.

Drinking is a full time job, and until you are meeting your fluid goals, try and stay out of the heat. Moses just needs extra, shorter jaunts.

This first week, if you find Protein fills you up, preventing you from getting in your liquids, then cut back a bit on the protein. Fluids are more important than protein this early out. By the second week, protein will be easier. I loved Bone Broth for week 1, as it was Fluid and protein.

Congrats on your surgery! Definitely keep an eye on your seeping wound. By 3 days out I don't think I had any drainage. Just keep your team informed.
See if you are allowed to crush any of your pills. Whole pills of any size are the pits for a few weeks.
Drinking is a full time job, and until you are meeting your fluid goals, try and stay out of the heat. Moses just needs extra, shorter jaunts.
This first week, if you find Protein fills you up, preventing you from getting in your liquids, then cut back a bit on the protein. Fluids are more important than protein this early out. By the second week, protein will be easier. I loved Bone Broth for week 1, as it was Fluid and protein.

Thanks Berry! what is the difference between bone broth and regular broth? Is there one?

Bone Broth has Protein in it, regular doesn't. If you make it at home, just simmer meat and bones in a big pot for 4-8 hours (I like using a pack of chicken legs.. cheap and simple. I add about a teaspoon of salt, pepper to taste, and a tablespoon of italian seasoning). You can save the meat in the freezer for use in a month or so...

I had trouble finding commercial bone broth, but it ended up being in the organic food section at my local grocery store.

bone broth.jpg

perfect-pinch-italian-seasoning.png

Thanks!

I got so sick of broth, I gag now when someone even mentions the word. The Bone Broth is probably a lot better than the regular broth I had. I also had a wound seep after the first week and ended up needing to have a stitch put in. It was a constant drip, drip, drip and I couldn't keep up with it. The Fluid was pinkish in color like yours. I finally used a maxi-pad and gauze, which worked for about an hour. Went through a few of those before I could finally get into my doctor. I was constantly exhausted my first week. I can't imagine walking a dog. I hardly ate a thing my first week and lost 14 pounds. However, I didn't have an appetite. I sipped Water all of the time to keep hydrated. Great advice from Bariatric Master. Focus on the water. Things will get better in a few weeks. Hang in there.

I'm wondering how you are doing since this post? I am scheduled to have SIPS with Dr. Roslin in a few weeks.