Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I have been snacking like no ones business, kind of. Today I had a sandwich. It was a mini sandwich that took me the day to eat, I hate it in halves. I then ate fruit and snacked on two Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I did not need them but they were awesome! I have still been losing weight and I have been being careful, but today was crazy. I will not punish myself but I will also continue to watch my portions, exercise and LIVE!

HW: 346

SW: 304

CW: 247

GW: 200 (for now)

I want to offer a little tough love here. You can completely ignore this if you want, but it comes from a place of having been there and done that and wanting to warn you.

Consuming two krispy cream donuts in a day is not cheating, it is binging with the size stomachs that we have. In fact the size of your stomach is probably the only thing that stopped you from eating more.

Before I had WLS I tried to follow various diets like most everyone, and the first sign that I was losing my willpower was allowing sweets back into my diet. Once you start you know how hard it is to stop.You have this window of opportunity to change your eating habits and relationships with food. Stay strong think about the reasons why you wanted to lose weight and get healthy. Are they worth eating a krispy cream donut?

Focus on the plan your doc/nut have you and be successful.

Sugar is a potent trigger for cravings. You feel good because chemically it floods your body with an endorphin 'high'. A little treat with added Protein would be less hazardous. Be careful. Did you plan to do this? What preceeded this eating event - anxiety, fear, insecurity, etc.

Edited by Sosewsue61

54 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

I want to offer a little tough love here. You can completely ignore this if you want, but it comes from a place of having been there and done that and wanting to warn you.

Consuming two krispy cream donuts in a day is not cheating, it is binging with the size stomachs that we have. In fact the size of your stomach is probably the only thing that stopped you from eating more.

Before I had WLS I tried to follow various diets like most everyone, and the first sign that I was losing my willpower was allowing sweets back into my diet. Once you start you know how hard it is to stop.You have this window of opportunity to change your eating habits and relationships with food. Stay strong think about the reasons why you wanted to lose weight and get healthy. Are they worth eating a krispy cream donut?

For me it was/is (simple) carbs. Sweets don't really tempt me at all.

I had mashed potatoes a couple times and I regret that now. IMO the particular danger with carbs in addition to the addiction principles, is the fact that it passes so easily in our sleeve. So you can eat more of that than you can of "real" food, and it doesn't really keep you full.

Still, I refuse to beat myself up about it- it happened, I am human, and I will remain positive and try my best not to let it happen again. And if it happens- oh well, my body will likely punish me for it and that punishment is sufficient.

I think everyone has to figure out things for themselves and for some of us that requires trial and error. I've had to throw up a couple times to figure out what my limits are in terms of quantity of food. In some cases, for certain foods, that is LESS than the doctor allows. We are all different- what works for me may not work for you, "it takes Diff'rent Strokes to move the world!"

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

Oh and by the way, I greatly appreciate the love and sensitivity in your comments. Even when you disagree with posters you always do so in a positive and affectionate manner that is not at all disconcerting, unlike a couple of others here (who I have had to block). We can disagree with others without being a Debbie Downer, and your posts always prove that.

I have been watching Dr. Weiner's videos a lot over the last 24 hours. I had looked at them before, when I was considering surgery, but they are a lot more helpful now. What is interesting is that he disagrees with my surgeon in a number of areas, mostly regarding vegetables, but I really like what he has to say. Although I have always been a meat eater and don't intend to stop that, I would like to incorporate more vegetables and less meat sooner in comparison to my doctor's guidelines, but I am a bit nervous about that (getting enough protein).

I'm still thinking about whether or how I want to change. But it's definitely food for thought. Thanks for steering me in that direction.

I think there is definitely a reason for 2 doughnuts buried in the fact that you've lost 99lbs. A bit of early celebration, perhaps? I can't say whether doughnuts were a good choice or bad..(after all, what I think doesn't matter!). But it is VERY important for you to really analyze why you ate the doughnuts.

Like the characters on Independence Day..(smoking those cigars was the best thing they could do in their situation prior to blowing the alien mothership and themselves up).. maybe there was a very good reason for you to do something that may appear to others to be self sabotage.

I've eaten cake, ice cream, fudge, banana bread, pizza, and cupcake since surgery. In every case, I knew what I was doing, and why I was doing it. In no case did I have more than a small bite... (except the pizza). My choices weren't wrong.. and yours might not be either. Just make sure that you have a distinct reason for what you do.

Preop, if someone asked why I ate something, there never was a good reason.. I was "hungry", or "*shrug* just because...". I'm reformulating my relationship with food, so I can tell you EXACTLY WHY I eat anything, and that is the difference between then and now. (And.. the WHY.. has to be good! A craving is a terrible reason to give in to temptation.)

I visited Mackinac Island this summer. So I ate fudge. It wasn't even very good.. but I was on Mackinac, and that's what you DO! Lol! For me, that's a good reason. For someone else, it wouldn't be.

45 minutes ago, gwbicster said:

Although I have always been a meat eater and don't intend to stop that, I would like to incorporate more vegetables and less meat sooner in comparison to my doctor's guidelines, but I am a bit nervous about that (getting enough protein).

I'm still thinking about whether or how I want to change. But it's definitely food for thought. Thanks for steering me in that direction.

I am a carnivore through and through, but I am also trying to incorporate more vegetable only meals into my week. I am focusing on fish , chicken, and turkey and trying to reduce the frequency that i eat red meats.

Thank you for your comments. It is hard sometimes to communicate well through written word without offending people, even when your intentions were to help. I have failed at this many times.

some posters are more direct, but most of the time their advice is good and I wouldn't discount it.

I've seen this stated numerous times. I can't always say WHY... Maybe you have some advice on that.

As an addict I eat for every reason. To Celebrate, to mourn, to comfort, since I've quit smoking reefer there's really not a reason I WON'T eat. It's my last remaining vice and I'm struggling finding something else to channel this to.

Usually I just have a craving for a particular kind of food (at the moment it's pepperoni pizza). I used to satisfy that craving by eating a huge quantity of that food, to the point of sickness. I am hoping now (and with the restriction I don't really have a choice) that I can scratch that itch with a very small portion of that food, and move on. Is that stinkin' thinkin'?

Dr. Weiner says that head hunger is just another word for addiction, and that you can tell it's head hunger and not real hunger by the fact that it usually is for one specific food. This makes a lot of sense to me. Still, I have these cravings, and it feels right to have a small quantity of the food in an attempt to satisfy this craving. I feel like if I don't, it will build up and lead to a larger breakdown down the line.

2 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

I am a carnivore through and through, but I am also trying to incorporate more vegetable only meals into my week. I am focusing on fish , chicken, and turkey and trying to reduce the frequency that i eat red meats.

Thank you for your comments. It is hard sometimes to communicate well through written word without offending people, even when your intentions were to help. I have failed at this many times.

some posters are more direct, but most of the time their advice is good and I wouldn't discount it.

I agree about the red meat. Although, I don't want to totally cut it. There is a certain satisfaction from red meat that "healthier" meats don't always give me. But, moderation.

I'm afraid about veg only meals, although sometimes with our small pouch we don't have a choice. Protein Powder can fix a lot though. My doc's plan would strongly disagree with this- it's why I am hesitant.

Regarding "some posters", when the comment is "every choice I see you make is bad". that is nagging and not at all constructive. It discounts any good advice that may be posted elsewhere in the comment. I block those people- life is too short.

I love Dr. Weiner, haven't gone back to watch his videos postop.. (need to).. but I also have the concern about Protein. The best vegetable sources are Beans and seeds/nuts. It takes about 4oz of beans to get 7g of protein, and 1oz of nuts to get 7g protein. (Give or take a gram, depending on type). We would have to eat 4oz of nuts plus 16oz beans to meet our minimum requirements. (That would be all I could eat in a day, spread out among 8 "meals") There wouldn't be a leafy vegetable in sight.

But, if you replace 16oz beans with 4oz fish or meat, then suddenly things become much easier. Keep 1oz nuts, and replace the other 3 with egg, dairy, and beans.. now we're getting a nice round diet that still has room for fruits and veggies.

1 minute ago, gwbicster said:

I've seen this stated numerous times. I can't always say WHY... Maybe you have some advice on that.

As an addict I eat for every reason. To Celebrate, to mourn, to comfort, since I've quit smoking reefer there's really not a reason I WON'T eat. It's my last remaining vice and I'm struggling finding something else to channel this to.

Usually I just have a craving for a particular kind of food (at the moment it's pepperoni pizza). I used to satisfy that craving by eating a huge quantity of that food, to the point of sickness. I am hoping now (and with the restriction I don't really have a choice) that I can scratch that itch with a very small portion of that food, and move on. Is that stinkin' thinkin'?

Dr. Weiner says that head hunger is just another word for addiction, and that you can tell it's head hunger and not real hunger by the fact that it usually is for one specific food. This makes a lot of sense to me. Still, I have these cravings, and it feels right to have a small quantity of the food in an attempt to satisfy this craving. I feel like if I don't, it will build up and lead to a larger breakdown down the line.

This is just my opinion and my experience, I am not a nutritionist so keep that in mind. I would eat the pepperoni and cheese melted and leave the crust. Have a small amount of this and see if it satisfies your craving. I don't think finding healthy alternatives to the foods we loved is bad as long as it doesn't lead us to over eat or constantly indulge head hunger.

For me I am focusing on learning to love all the healthy foods I have to choose from and staying away from trigger foods all together. This doesn't mean I will never have a bite of something in the future, but I really want to leave those foods behind for the most part.

I have started running and I am developing a habit toward fitness and spending time with that.