Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since my surgery, I have been doing pretty good, but I'm so depressed and I don't know why.. I almost feel numb, to be honest. I'm wondering if maybe this could be post op depression... Has anyone experienced it? What did you do to make things better?

I have it sometimes. I think it generally has to do with the fact that so much of my time was spent on food before the surgery that I sometimes don't know what to do with myself post-op during the times I would have spent eating.

Yes.. I know exactly what your going through. The first three months were horrible. I was very depressed and regretful with my decision to have this surgery. It is only now going into my fifth month that I am somewhat better. What I did was connected to this website sharing my difficulties with others who were able to relate and provide support. I also went on youtube view videos of post surgery cases as well as co workers.. friends who had vsg. It felt good to know what I was going through was not in my head many had the same issues. I believe it is related to not being able to eat a normal eat like everyone else. I don't mean junk food!.. Just meals..healthy etc.

Today I can tell you I am better 100% NO!.. do I still regret it.. YES... VSG is not for everyone and I am one of those .. Wish I had taken a different path. But knowing that after the first year things will improve is what keeps me going.. so I've been told. hang in there... Seek support anywhere you can find it..

Since my surgery, I have been doing pretty good, but I'm so depressed and I don't know why.. I almost feel numb, to be honest. I'm wondering if maybe this could be post op depression... Has anyone experienced it? What did you do to make things better?

Since my surgery literally the day after I felt different. I wasn't sure what from or why. 6 months down the track nothing has changed. I have since learnt that I have a lot of symptoms of major depression but mostly apathy or anhedonia.
I know it wasn't regret or from lack of food or missing food as it happened so suddenly.
My surgeon and dr have no idea as to why these feelings have come or when they may go.
I can't laugh or feel happiness the way I used to although I know things are funny I don't get that awesome feeling. I truly miss it . I feel like when I laugh it's very forced.
I am on Zoloft and have been for a while but that was for anger.
My days are ok and I continue on as normal

I def feel your pain! I've had moments of just breaking down and sobbing for I think is no reason. But... Then I have to remember all that has changed in my life with literally a blink of an eye. Not just for right now but forever. It's a lot to take in no matter how prepared you think you are in advance. Truly hope things get better for all soon.

It has been a month since my surgery and I feel the same. It's hard bc I live with my parents and they are always eating out or making unhealthy food that I can't even touch not only that, my bf always tells me I'm taking the easy way out and puts me down for ever getting the surgery. I feel so alone and when I get compliments my bf will not even let me except them he then takes it as an insult. What I find that helps me sometimes is writing in my journal and taking a walk and actually looking and taking time to enjoy the beauty

Sent from my SM-G900T using BariatricPal mobile app

59 minutes ago, got2lovejenn said:

It has been a month since my surgery and I feel the same. It's hard bc I live with my parents and they are always eating out or making unhealthy food that I can't even touch not only that, my bf always tells me I'm taking the easy way out and puts me down for ever getting the surgery. I feel so alone and when I get compliments my bf will not even let me except them he then takes it as an insult. What I find that helps me sometimes is writing in my journal and taking a walk and actually looking and taking time to enjoy the beauty

I am so sorry you're going through this. It's really unfortunate when family and SO's aren't sources of support, but journaling and taking walks are great ways to cope. You just keep on doing you!

Edited by MSinger

I, personally, don't have this issue but I do have several people in my bari family who do. Do you have access to a local face-to-face support group? They may have a mentoring program as well.

This life change is NOT easy, even for those who have a very supportive inner circle (family, friends).

I had a rough time postop due to the magnitude of issues due to having not only the sleeve but having a partial liver resection and two hernias repaired! If it wasn't for my weight loss support group and the two nurses who facilitate the group I would have done much worse and definitely wouldn't be where I'm at today!

In addition to journaling, which is something I do everyday along with keeping a food log (accountably), I walk everyday and on MWF I work out with weights in the gym and spend a half an hour on the recumbent bike. It's a great way for me to have time for self-care and solitude.

Find what works for you, but also look to see if you have a support group in your area. If your boyfriend has issue with this (judging by his attitude about your having had surgery) then maybe it is time to also reevaluate your relationship with him. I don't mean to sound like a buzz kill here, I just want you to have a successful journey to becoming healthy and staying healthy.

I, personally, don't have this issue but I do have several people in my bari family who do. Do you have access to a local face-to-face support group? They may have a mentoring program as well.

This life change is NOT easy, even for those who have a very supportive inner circle (family, friends).

I had a rough time postop due to the magnitude of issues due to having not only the sleeve but having a partial liver resection and two hernias repaired! If it wasn't for my weight loss support group and the two nurses who facilitate the group I would have done much worse and definitely wouldn't be where I'm at today!

In addition to journaling, which is something I do everyday along with keeping a food log (accountably), I walk everyday and on MWF I work out with weights in the gym and spend a half an hour on the recumbent bike. It's a great way for me to have time for self-care and solitude.

Find what works for you, but also look to see if you have a support group in your area. If your boyfriend has issue with this (judging by his attitude about your having had surgery) then maybe it is time to also reevaluate your relationship with him. I don't mean to sound like a buzz kill here, I just want you to have a successful journey to becoming healthy and staying healthy.

I do have a support group near me just hard with making time from work. But really need to go. And yes I've berm reevaluating my relationship with the bf. Thanks for your input it means alot

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. To be honest, I am, too. I've been feeling weaker, more numb, and joyless in the weeks since the surgery. Nothing tastes good, I rarely eat actual food because it is not worth it, I still have to chug down so much Water and Protein shakes-- it's hard to do that and fit food in, too. I've already dropped two sizes, but it feels hollow and pointless. I can't keep up with my regular life, not even close-- working a high pressure job, taking care of my 4 year old, trying to at least help with all the household stuff, dealing with things like birthday parties, school trips, setting up tours for summer camp, dentist appointments, etc. I am exhausted and in tears almost every night and morning, and I don't know how I can keep up when I feel like I'm just a fraction of my former energy and strength.

I try very hard to keep up with water and protein, but some days are better than others-- I don't have time to just sit and monitor every half hour my liquid and protein intake, so if work is really hectic I will look up at 2pm and think, crap, I have only had 8 ounces of water and no protein today, I'll never catch up. So in the afternoon my work and family slide because I'm sitting there sipping both as fast as I can, feeling so grossed out and sipping sipping sipping. I am trying the Isopure drink, to do two in one, but... it tastes pretty revolting, honestly. Everything has the same fake tasting, sweet protein taste. Still, I drink it, I don't want to get sicker feeling! But I want real food, salty food. Not junk-- a grilled chicken salad would be heaven! I just want my normal energy back, so my son doesn't ask me every morning, "Are you *still* sick today, mommy?" and have to deal with me not having energy to play with him like he is used to.

I know in the long term this will all get better. But how long am I supposed to put my entire life on hold-- I didn't expect to be reduced to such weakness that I couldn't function. The surgery itself has long healed, but the starvation is wearing me out both mentally and physically.

Sorry-- this is not a very helpful reply, I guess. :) Just to say that I understand feeling regretful and sad, you are not the only one. And if you need to vent, do it! Let's have faith that this WILL eventually get better, right?

I wouldn't say that I have been depressed, but all of the change that has happened in my life in the last 14 months can be a little overwhelming at times (even if all of the change is overwhelmingly positive.)

I have lost over half of my body weight, and with that comes a lot of change emotionally and socially. I am still navigating some of it, but all-in-all, everything is going well. As I get closer to goal (only 16 pounds to go), I do wonder how it will feel when my journey changes from weight loss to maintenance emotionally.

On 6/2/2017 at 4:33 AM, Krisbell said:

If the sadness and other symptoms of depression is long lasting, intense, or interferes with daily life (work, relationships, self care), you owe it to yourself to see a professional for an assessment. Think about it this way: if you were feeling bodily pain of the same duration and intensity, would you get it checked out? If so, then treat mental pain the same way.

One thing I've thought of is what happens to people who use alcohol or drugs to cope (whether they have an addiction or not) and then stop using. The very lack of a major coping tool that was effective for sadness and anxiety (regardless that this was a tool that hurt in the big picture, it can be pretty dang effective for a while) can uncover existing mood problems or simply make every day stresses much harder to cope with until the person forms other coping methods. I think most people in cultures with abundant food use food to cope with stress, sadness, anxiety, etc and those morbidly obese probably more often or intensely than average. Learning new coping methods is a fairly easy problem to solve. Recovering from a mood disorder is usually a bit more difficult but depression is a very treatable problem through therapy and/ or medication.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. To be honest, I am, too. I've been feeling weaker, more numb, and joyless in the weeks since the surgery. Nothing tastes good, I rarely eat actual food because it is not worth it, I still have to chug down so much Water and Protein shakes-- it's hard to do that and fit food in, too. I've already dropped two sizes, but it feels hollow and pointless. I can't keep up with my regular life, not even close-- working a high pressure job, taking care of my 4 year old, trying to at least help with all the household stuff, dealing with things like birthday parties, school trips, setting up tours for summer camp, dentist appointments, etc. I am exhausted and in tears almost every night and morning, and I don't know how I can keep up when I feel like I'm just a fraction of my former energy and strength.
I try very hard to keep up with water and protein, but some days are better than others-- I don't have time to just sit and monitor every half hour my liquid and protein intake, so if work is really hectic I will look up at 2pm and think, crap, I have only had 8 ounces of water and no protein today, I'll never catch up. So in the afternoon my work and family slide because I'm sitting there sipping both as fast as I can, feeling so grossed out and sipping sipping sipping. I am trying the Isopure drink, to do two in one, but... it tastes pretty revolting, honestly. Everything has the same fake tasting, sweet protein taste. Still, I drink it, I don't want to get sicker feeling! But I want real food, salty food. Not junk-- a grilled chicken salad would be heaven! I just want my normal energy back, so my son doesn't ask me every morning, "Are you *still* sick today, mommy?" and have to deal with me not having energy to play with him like he is used to.
I know in the long term this will all get better. But how long am I supposed to put my entire life on hold-- I didn't expect to be reduced to such weakness that I couldn't function. The surgery itself has long healed, but the starvation is wearing me out both mentally and physically.
Sorry-- this is not a very helpful reply, I guess. [emoji4] Just to say that I understand feeling regretful and sad, you are not the only one. And if you need to vent, do it! Let's have faith that this WILL eventually get better, right?

I would feel the same way. I am very weak on just shakes and liquids. Are you allowed food yet? If so I would force yourself to eat protein. I can't imagine sustaining this way long term.

I wouldn't say that I have been depressed, but all of the change that has happened in my life in the last 14 months can be a little overwhelming at times (even if all of the change is overwhelmingly positive.)
I have lost over half of my body weight, and with that comes a lot of change emotionally and socially. I am still navigating some of it, but all-in-all, everything is going well. As I get closer to goal (only 16 pounds to go), I do wonder how it will feel when my journey changes from weight loss to maintenance emotionally.

I hadn't even considered maintenance. How odd.

Glad to see someone talking about this. I am about 5 months out and just starting to feel somewhat normal again. I never completely realized the power food had over me.

I have a loving and supportive husband and family. No problems there. But breaking up with food was traumatic. No joke! I felt depressed and empty the first 4 months. Like someone died. It does take awhile to grieve for what you have lost, but I am not regretting it in the least. Even though my weight loss has been slow and frustrating, it was the best money I have ever spent! I feel so much better physically. I'm 56 years old, and have some arthritis. Carrying around an extra 90 lbs was pretty painful

Hang in there. It does get better. I have finally stopped grieving and just accepted that food is no longer the central focus of my life. I really don't think much about it anymore. I think those first few months when you have to be super focused on what you're eating (and not eating) it actually makes it tougher. Once you are eating normal food and get into a food routine you can stop obsessing over the food and then it becomes easier.