Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to take to the Hospital?

What did you guys pack for the hospital? My Surgery is on Monday and I have not a clue. The only thing I know I'll need is my wallet and chapstick. Lol! Please any advice will help.

Courage and patience--that's all you'll need. I thought I'd need everything else from what I read, but I was so out of it, there was no way I was doing anything on my phone or applying makeup. The first day you're pretty much sleeping from the anesthesia and drugs, and by the second day you're trying to get in liquids and walking.

But on a serious note, chapstick, toothbrush, and toothpaste. Even the chapstick I'm not sure on, because even though my lips felt dry, I think it was more from the film on them from the surgery and I just really needed to properly wash my face, which I finally was able to do once I got home. You're going to worship that little blue sponge soaked in ice Water to care about chapstick. It was a Godsend. I think I even growled when my husband tried taking that out of my hands that first day, hahahaha.

When I had my gallbladder surgery I had a massive pain in my back from the gas. I asked for a hot water bottle or heating pad from the hospital but they didn't have one. Luckily my husband was able to run home and get it for me, it really helped. I might also suggest a sleeping mask and some ear plugs. It's really hard for me to sleep in the hospital because there are so many lights and noises. Chapstick is also a must in my opinion.

Extension cord so I could use my iphone while it was plugged in as the electrical outlet was a little far from the hospital bed.

Travel pillow as the hospital only provided one flat pillow.

Tooth brush and travel-sized toothpaste & floss.

Hairbrush or comb.

Travel-sized lotion as my hands and face often get really dry.

Ear plugs and eye mask to make it easier to sleep as the hospital was noisy and my room was full of lights with all the equipment.

Slippers with good traction to walk the halls.

Scarf because I get cold easily.

I didn't bring my own robe; instead I wore a second hospital gown to cover up my back side.

Edited by MarinaGirl

The only thing I couldn't live without was my robe. I used it to Walk the halls, but also balled it up and used it to position my body, and used as a blanket when I needed some comfort. I never use one at home so that surprised me the most. Other than that, hospital provided everything including toothbrush and chap stick

Yeah I think it varies from hospital to hospital. Pretty much evey hospital has will give you dental hygiene products, but I've stayed at a hospital that did not have chapstick. Also don't forget contact fluid/contact case or glasses if you wear them. Some hospitals have warm blankets and some do not, keeping warm is imperative in my opinion. However, it's only one night in most cases with the gastric sleeve I guess.

So I need to take robe or use II down at hospital and ChapStick and a hair brush or comb at least. Also something for feet when walking add toothpaste and toothbrush and my pillow or stuffed animal or something for loving and comfort. Is that right?

I would add dry Shampoo if you have hair that is on the oily side. When I had kidney surgery a couple years ago I could only sponge bath for a couple days and I felt like my hair was nasty.

10 minutes ago, ChaosUnlimited said:

I would add dry Shampoo if you have hair that is on the oily side. When I had kidney surgery a couple years ago I could only sponge bath for a couple days and I felt like my hair was nasty.

Dry shampoo... The best invention ever. I am adding that to my bag of stuff to bring. Thanks for reminding me!

Everyone has nailed it. You'll be in and out. Sandals or slippers for walking, eye mask, I even took a snuggie. It was cold in my room and hospital linens leave a lot to be desired. Extension cord was the second best thing I was glad to have. If there is a certian sugar free drink mix you like take that, too. The crystal light they gave me is the one flavor I don't like (figures..lol). Wishing you a speedy recovery!! Congrats!!

I took my earbuds (they happen to be noice canceling). I was too out of it to read, so listening to music was the only thing I felt like doing. It got me through a lot of time when I wasn't feeling so great, and I didn't disturb my roommates.

RNY 14 April 2017
SW: 295 lb / 134 kg
GW: 187 lb / 85 kg (I'll see when I get there)

I had my sleeve surgery last Monday, the 1st. I packed a bunch of stuff and really didn't need or use it. I'm usually a makeup junkie and I just was NOT up to it at all. I wore the loose hospital gown (you will be hooked up to IVs and clot prevention cuffs or booties on your legs/feet, so it's difficult to wear anything else.) They are also always checking vitals and drawing blood from your arm. I was too tired and in pain to care about using much of anything, including Chapstick, lipbalm, makeup, electronic devices or much of anything. My spleen ended up bleeding and I lost quite a bit of blood, so maybe that was a contributing factor. The hospital provided swabs for dry mouth (dipped in ice chips or Water, ) grippy socks to walk in, multiple pillows, blankets, additional gowns, toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, shower gel, etc. I did end up using my feminine supplies as I got my period the day after the surgery. The hospital of course offered supplies, but I had my own. They said it is very common to get your period right after surgery. I was expecting mine. Surprisingly, the broth the hospital served was delicious and I feared it would be dreadful, so I had brought my own bullion cubes, but didn't need them. I also brought sugar free drink packets and didn't need those, either. The Crystal Light lemonade and raspberry flavor they served were delightful post op and still are. The Jello was lemon. I couldn't eat much of the jello. I'm now wishing I knew the brand of the broth they used. I was too out of it to ask. Really, the hospital I stayed at was as nice as a hospital is going to get and they pretty much provided everything without being asked. I did ask for a heating pad for sore back muscles and never got one.

I'd say the things you'd need most are:

-CPAP and distilled water if you use that (I do,)

-Slippers or slip on shoes to walk in (floors were hard on my feet in just socks. I used slip on Danksin memory foam shoes from Walmart)

-Juicebar to charge your phone

-headphones if you use them (I brought but never used. My husband used them.)

-Heating pad if you're prone to back pain

-A comfy front close sports bra to wear home. I was too sore in the hospital to wear it, as I had a hiatal hernia repair and ended up with an additional incision under my bra line. Amazon has fruit of the Loom ones which are stretchy and easy to close. They've been great wearing at home post op, too. I'd order 2 sizes larger than your usual bra band size. If you wear 40, buy a 44.

-hair brush, possibly dry Shampoo, which would have come in handy

-credit card info for TV. It's typically $8/day. I bought it on day 2 just to keep me sane.

-comfy loose fitting clothes and shoes to wear home

-pillow from home to press against abdomen on ride home. Buckle seatbelt around it.

-a drink such as water or Powerade Zero or Crystal Light to sip on during ride home

You will be home and feeling more normal before you know it. Hospitals make me very claustrophobic being hooked up to monitors and IVs and such. Don't let my post scare you.

I just posted a packing list to our WLS Magazine 7 hours ago! Check it out!!