Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Tired.....are You?

Hi all....

Just wondering if anyone feels that they are more fatigued that in the past? I'm not sure if it's just my age, my life and my schedule or if it's related to the changes in my body and food intake. But, no matter what it is.....I am so exhausted by the time I get home from the office and get dinner on the table! I want to go out and walk.....I REALLY DO. But, it takes all I have to get the dishes done and get ready for the next day!

Has anyone managed to conquer this problem? Any tips or info you can share will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Judi

Judi, are you getting enough Protein? I've read other comments about lack of energy usually resulting from inadequate protein intake. I have actually had alot more energy since my surgery and weight loss. I have been walking regularly and I find that it really does energize me. If you are getting plenty of protein, how much sleep are you getting? Have you ever been anemic? I'd discuss it with your doc if it doesn't improve.

Judi

I am in the same boat. I am a teacher and get to work about 5:30AM. By the time the bell rings at the end of the day I feel like I have been up for hundreds of hours. I get almost 70-80 grams of Protein a day, so I don't think it is that. Unfortunately I was able to take part in the first day of the October Challenge and then had to miss yesterday because I was in meetings until 8 pm and then tonight I have students working on projects until 8 PM. So maybe it is the exercise, but I got it last month and it didn't help me much. I go to bed usually by 8 and sometimes it is even earlier than that. Hopefully we will figure it out!

I'm not a morning person so I could never take my own advice -lol - but could you guys try walking in the morning instead?

I was advised that coffee and tea can drain the Iron out of your body. I was drinking a lot of coffee and tea to keep me awake. I cut back on both and also found a chewable Vitamin that has extra iron in it and am beginning to perk up more and have more energy at the end of the day.

Hi Judi!

It's not your age. I'm 24 and shared your fatigue. I found that in the last week I've started to gain more energy. I have been consciencously taking Vitamins twice a day and found some time to schedule appts. with a personal trainer. It forces me to get to the gym and get the endorphines pumping through my system (plus he's really cute and fun to look at). It's definetely hard to get motivated when you're so tired, but see what you can do.

If it helps, split up the cardio throughout the day - 10 mins in the morning, 10 mins at lunch, 10 mins when you get home. That way you receive the total benefits of the workout without the time crunch. Plus, it will keep those endorphines running all day.

Good luck! You can do it! Keep us posted on your status.

I'm not feeling 'fatigued' -- in fact, since the surgery, I've been off several meds and feel I have more energy than I have in YEARS!

Today a friend met me at church and we tackled a long ignored task of cleaning out a storage closet. After my third hike to the dumpster out back I had to "sit a spell"....but, I told my helper, "You know, three months ago I couldn't have done this at ALL -- even with frequent sit-down breaks!"

Nana, I'm with you. In fact I'm amazed how much better I feel in such a short time. The human body is so resilent. Even after all the abuse (overeating & under exercising) I've done to my body over the years, it is responding very quickly to the improved diet and exercise. Instead of hating this poor body of mine, I'm trying to start loving it for a change.

I am feeling more energized in the last 2 weeks. I have really cut down my coffee intake and I am working out in the morning. I also am sleeping with the CPAP which I think is the biggest difference for me. I think for the first time in many years I am getting adecent nights sleep.. Speaking of that, good night zzzzz!:notagree

Val

weight.png

319/314 surgery/289 current/274 minigoal 12/8 my 47th b-day gift/214 goal

exercise.png

Yes, I am so thankful and elated that I've lost the weight that I have! I realize that I've come very far! And, although I am exhausted in the evenings, I know that I feel sooo much better in general. I get through the day fine......I feel happier and healthier than I have in a very long time. It's the exhaustion that hits me in the evening.....after cooking dinner and cleaning up afterwards. By that time, it's somewhere between 9-10 pm. And, honestly, it's not like I come home and sit down to watch TV. I literally walk in the door, go directly up the stairs to change, clean up the bathrooms, get my clothes ready for the next day, pack up whatever gear I need for the next day and then I start dinner and usually some laundry. There's no way around that schedule since I do not walk in the door until 7-7:30. My DH travels 3-4 days a week and when he is home, he gets home around 8. As far as getting out to walk or getting to the gym or doing exercise in the morning......it's not going to happen. We live in a community that does not have school buses for the kids to get to school. Since I work...I do the morning car pool while another mom does the afternoon. After I drop my daughter and our neighbor off at 7:30, I head into the office---about a 1hr+ commute with traffic. That gets me to the office in time to start my day with only a few minutes to spare. At this time of the year, lunch hours are devoted to hosting and facilitating round table lunches (I'm in higher ed) and/or workshops. Yes, we have them 5 days a week during the academic year. Like I said---I get through all of that fine. As I type this----the dinner dishes are sitting in the sink, my daughter is finishing up homework and I have laundry in the washer and dryer. I'm especially tired at the moment after having 3 out of town guests staying with us for 4 days. I'm not making excuses.....this is just life. What I am trying to figure out is what I can do to help with this evening fatigue that I feel......all I want to do is lay on the couch!!! The ideal situation would be for me to be able to walk out the door around 9:30 and walk for 45 minutes. But, I am just exhausted. Very tired. Literally dragging. Perhaps it's just that I'm tired from a long day and there's nothing I can do about it........

But, I'd like to try.........

So glad to have found this post. I was banded on 9/19 and just in the past couple of weeks I am finding myself exhausted. After reading all of these wonderful posts I think it's a combination of things. I definitely am not getting as much Protein as I used to. I should really be cutting back on the caffeine and getting out for a nice walk at lunchtime. I'm just still a bit sore, I'll just have to take it slow. I'm hoping if I work on all 3, things will improve. (Also Fall allergies are killing me right now - It's almost 1:30pm and I'm ready to put my head on my desk and take a nap) I am taking the Multivitamins and Calcium supplements but It's clearly not enough. Thanks for all of the great information ! :bored

I still am feeling tired. Judi, I completely understand the education thing. I teach high school so we don't have the conferences and workshops, but we only get 1/2 hour for lunch and during that time, I have to attempt to eat, answer student questions, and email all the whining parents whose kids have B's in CHEMISTRY. Sorry to all of you parents out their that whine to their teachers, but a B is a good grade! Okay so enough venting. I get to work at 5:00 am because I try not to do any work at home. I usually leave work about 6ish and then go home and cook dinner and do laundry, go grocery shopping, attempt to work out, and I have to be in bed by 7:30 or I can't make it the next day. I am on my feet almost all day (I usually sit during my prep period), but otherwise I am running around my classroom trying to prevent the kids from blowing up everything. The hazards of a chemistry teacher.:faint:I eat almost 100 grams of Protein a day and faithfully drink my Water. I don't know why I am so tired, but I am glad that I am not alone. And yes I do take my Multivitamin as well. My weightloss is great. I am down 37 pounds in 2 months and I am very happy with that. Now if I could only conquer the fatigue, life would be fantastic! I will just keep plugging along and I am certain that it will work itself out eventually!

Good grief Judi & Salsa! You are busy women who start early and go full steam all day. No wonder you're tired. You also are still adjusting to this whole lapband thing. I say don't beat yourselves up over the exercise. Do what you have to do during the week and plan to "treat" yourself to a walk or a workout on Saturday and/or Sunday. Maybe on ocassion come home and change into comfy clothes and go for a walk before you fix dinner. It will all work out. Ya'll are doing great so far.

Hi - I was banded 8/21/07 - and was okay until about 2-3 weeks ago when I though maybe I wasn't getting enuf Protein in. Now I make sure 60 gms of protein goes in without fail -I use the Dr. Atkins Advantix shakes - each has 15 gms of protein - so 4 shakes/day should do it - but if that's too much - take one shake and thrown in one scoop of Protein Powder - that's an additional 15 or so gms. of protein/shake - so you only have to take two shakes/day + whatever else you "eat". It has made ALL of the difference in the world for me - I have the energy now that I was hoping I would have when I lost all of the weight. Don't know if this will help - but it sure made a difference for me. Good luck.

Thanks for letting me know I'm "in good company". This weekend, when I can steal some extra time, I'm going to head out to the health store near my house and talk to the owner. Because of the hours of the store, I never seem to get there. But, it is worth my time since she is very knowledgable about supplements and foods. She shares the info without pushing products. The GNC store near me seems to sell, sell, sell and their prices are quite high.

One thing that I think would increase my energy would be exercise.....but, when? is the question!!! LOL.

Salsa.....you and I are banded one day apart and seem to have had similiar weight loss. Have you had your first fill yet????