Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months out what is your food intake like?

I'm 5 months out doing good but I'm starting to stall. I notice I could eat a lot more and I know it's normal. I was wondering what your normal food intake (ounces) weighs? Do we stay between a certain amount? I was told to try not to go over 3 ounces.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

3 ounces of Protein food and a couple ounces of cooked vegetables sounds about right. Total about 1/2 cup.

I am just about 5 months and I can eat 2.5-3 oz of meat and usually an oz or up to 1/4 cup of veggies.

I'm almost 6 months out and the amount depends on the density of the meat for me. I can do about 2.5 ounces of steak, 2.0 ounces of chicken, 2.5-3.0 ounces of fish. Crab legs are super easy for me to get down, so I'm estimating a little over 3 ounces.
If I get vegetables down, it's maybe 3 tablespoons at most as I try to concentrate on the Protein. I can also do a whole link sausage (like a bratwurst) if I take my time and nibble, leave it, then come back to it.

I'm 6 months out and have gone from 219 to my goal weight of 145. I am very comfortable drinking a Premier Protein shake for Breakfast, a shake for lunch plus light & fit Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a snack of almonds if hungry. For dinner I am a little less strict. I eat some type of meat and vegetables. I don't even weigh the food either. I just eat until I'm full and stop. I make sure I drink 64+ oz of Water a day. I make sure I drink 2 glasses of water every morning before I leave for work to make sure I get it in. One glass with my medications one pill at a time. And one glass with my Bariatric Vitamins. I haven't lost hair I think because I get enough Protein and water. I plan on sticking with these good choices indefinitely. I do not feel hungry or deprived. I feel so lucky and happy. I am so glad I had GS surgery. It was the best thing I ever did. I feel so much better physically and emotionally. And you look younger and am off blood pressure and cholesterol medicine and the cpap machine. I have days where I don't lose any weight or I'll go up a pound. I stick with it and a few days later I go down even more. I have noticed that often times my weight goes down when I eat a little more rather than a little less as long as it's all of the same healthy foods I normally eat. Stick with it. You will get through stalls and lose more quicker after the stall. Every couple of weeks I stall or lose less and then all of a sudden the scale drops. Take care and good luck!! You'll be fine. ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1489639635.960380.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am about 4 1/2 months post op and can agree with the others. I eat about 2 1/2 to 3 oz. Protein. I never go over 3 oz. Most of the time I am too full to eat much else. At lunch I usually have a protein shake: 1 c. fair life skim milk, 2 scoops Protein Powder. Premier Protein shakes still gross me out, ever since surgery. I have had more hunger in the evenings which I try to nip in the bud with a couple Tbsp. cottage cheese. I have been stalling too as of late. My hunger has increased which kind of freaks me out.

Edited by healthmatters

Great stuff from all of you, congrats and continue the good work. I'm a few days shy of 6 months out and I try to just listen to stomach, whats left of it. I've stopped weighing my food because rarely could I eat it all. That being said, some days it seems I can eat a fair amount while others, I get full after a half bowl of Soup. Beef, chicken, fish, i can barely eat 3oz. It is easier for me to eat veggies. Also, I know its frowned upon but it is what it is, I have an easier time getting portions in with a piece of bread. Lately, my lunch is half a ham and cheese sandwich on good bread, with good quality meats and cheeses. I always end up throwing it out with 2-3 bites left. I pretty much have switched to a european style diet. No processed foods, but I am OK with a small good piece of crusty bread, lots of olive oils, good fresh vegetables. I drink lots of Water throughout the day. I do seem to eat several very small meals per day and the free yogurts at work are a regular go to. I will also slice half a banana with some Peanut Butter as a sweet treat. I will keep focusing and try to listen to my stomach. I eat slow and some meals it seems like I can eat a lot, at least for the new me, while other meals, I am done after just a few bites. There is no rhyme or reason that I have noticed yet. It sucks when you order an expensive meal and you feel hungry to have your stomach tell you, nope...your done, after just a few bites.

I'm down 117 lbs or so to 263 which is way ahead of where I thought I'd be. My SW was 359 and HW at start of liquid diet was 380. My goal weight is 225. Not too shabby. Thankful for my new found health. I'm off blood pressure meds and no more sleep apnea. In fact, my wife says I don't even snore.

75813.jpg