Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here from Australia

hi All,

Yes amongst the sun and surf in Australia we get fat and fattter..

I am here to find out more about Lap Band surgery.

I have done some research and am pretty satisfied after 30 years of trying to lose weight that this is probably a last resort to save my life.

I am giving myself one year - thats how long health care takes to pay for any pre existing health issues down here - that one year i hope to spend learning as much as I can about the surgery in order to make post op as successful as possible.

I am looking forward to meeting all the success stories on the forums and also the people whp are trying.

I hope it will be a productive experience for all.

kind regards

M:)

hi M,,,this is my first reply to anything on lap band talk...i have just had my visit to the surgeon. i attended the info. seminar at The Avenue in Windsor..there was no mention of having to wait as it was a pre-existing illness.i have been in the health fund for nearly 10 years but fighting weight issues for 25 years....is this classed as pre-existing...have been given an op.date for November.....thanks maccy

Hi striver - I will recommend you read a book by Prof.P.O'Brien called "The Lap Band Solution".......... very good, $24.95 from Dymocks.... I only have 6 weeks and 3 sleeps to go until I am banded, like you I waited the 12 months........almost there now - woo-hoo!!! cheers Karen

This is a pre-existing ailment...i couldnt find a health fund that would cover me to do the surgery prior to the year of joining therefore im selfpaying my surgery,,It will cost me $12,000 at the Epworth Hospital in Boxhill.....If im not mistaken the Avenue charge $11,000. I get my surgery date on October 4th...

Hi Ginaki, It will cost me $3500 and this is the amount the surgeon quoted and HBA when i asked about it...I had my surgeon app. on Friday and he has pencilled my surgery in for November. why isnt mine under pre-existing.....or is it because of the time i have spent in the fund that covers the qualifing period.. am excited and scared at the same time. regards maccy

Hi Maccy - if you have had full hospital cover for 10years - you will be fine - the band & hospital are 100% covered, you just pay the surgeon fee, and any excess on the hospital stay. Good for you!!! My date is October 29th...............in Queensland. I have waited the 12 month period, and now have only 6 weeks until I am banded, I could not afford to pay the full $12500. In a way it was good, because I have spent that time researching and reading all about the proceedure and after...... keep in touch, Karen

hi Karen, it seems to be that there is so much to think about regarding this whole process that i was worried i may have over looked something or tuned out when i should have been listening about costs and health funds.....you will be banded a week before me..i had my blood tests done today the nurse counted out twenty tests that had to be carried out from the five tubes of blood they took....at least they are thorough..cheers maccy

I know - it seems like they are vampires....lol!! when are you getting an ultrasound done? where are you? whats you stats..................we can be bandit buddies if you want....... a week difference is nothing!! cheers Karen

Hi striver,

I'm another aussie in Brisbane, Queensland, to be banded on the 9th of October 07. Now I have to say that I'm with Medibank, and they said as long as its a health issue, it would be covered. I've been with my fund for 6 years, so my gap is about $6,500. My Doctor is Dr Bowden at the Wesley, and he's a lovely man and his staff couldn't be nicer. I'm 32 and I've done everything, just like everyone else, this is my last resort, I have two beautiful kids that I don't want to leave behind, and without this help I know I will keep losing this battle. So I am so excited and scared about this new life, but also know it is nessasery to have this healthy life. Hope to here from everyone about their feelings and experiences they are going through with their bands.

Brispenny31

hey Brispenny,

I love chit-chat!! It has helped me wait the 101/2 months so far - I am getting it done locally in Bundaberg............ Dr.DeLacy is very good, he's been doing them here for about 2 years, with great results!!......

hi M,,,this is my first reply to anything on lap band talk...i have just had my visit to the surgeon. i attended the info. seminar at The Avenue in Windsor..there was no mention of having to wait as it was a pre-existing illness.i have been in the health fund for nearly 10 years but fighting weight issues for 25 years....is this classed as pre-existing...have been given an op.date for November.....thanks maccy

wow, I was told by my health fund medibank private that i would have to wait 12 months - who are u with? kind regards M

Yes, we are fast following in America's footsteps downunder!

Welcome, where are you in Australia? I'm in Melbourne.

hi there - Im in sydney - anyone else in Sydney regards M

Dear All,

wow woke up this morning to lits of replies. Thank you all.

I will buy the book and have a read. There are many centres down here charging way over what u have quoted in price the Sydney Obesity clinic are charging in excess of 15 thousand which is way more than chicken feed. I think I really have to look around as prices seem to vary enormously.

I have had quite a few of my friends try to talk me out of it - they said they will pay for personal trainers and modifast if i just want to eat a liquid diet.

I have explained to them that for me this is not a quick fix by any account and that it is going to be hard work I realise that. I am over 140 kilos and to lose the amount of weight I have to - well lets say no personal trainer or another diet I feel is going to fix it. I have community pressures family pressures - this is I feel the only choice.

I have 2 teenage daughters who need their mum and a wonderful husband who just wants his wife around and will support anything I chose to do and that makes it way easier.

I homeschool so my girls are atg home with me so they will be my carers for the most part - the next 12 months will mean many lessons on mursing and cooking skills needed post op.

Nice to meet you all and I look forward to chatting with you over the next 12 months

kind regards M :)