Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about the pains!

So here is the deal.

I hear some much conflicting stories about the pain after surgery

Some people get up and walk like nothing had happend. And others are crying and wailing from the pain

As a emotional person myself i can handle pain but it scares me if im going to suffer like hell.

Even though i will but it still confusing what to expect.

So can somebody explain what it is exactly that is going to hurt and for how long? So i can prepare myself for the initial blow.?

So sorry for this post again. But if i know what pain to expect and how awful is going to be i can by stuff to ease it.

Its the same surgery and so many people have different experiences

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery on 11/18 and was able to go home the same day. I didn't really experience pain, just pressure/discomfort, which I am still having at times... kind of like intense indigestion that lasts for a few seconds, then fades.

I can share my experience. I had mine at 8am on the 5th oct 16. I had gall bladder removed same time. I woke up from anesthetic with terrible burning acid like sensation in chest. I'd never had acid reflux by maybe this is what a bad bout feels like ?

The theatre nurse said 'here's a morphine pump, pump if you need it'. I pumped three times in quick succession then can only remember being very woozy and feeling nauseous next few hours. Another nurse said around 4pm that 'morphine may be causing nausea. Do you want to stop the morphine drip and see how you get on with pain?' I opted for this and nausea wore off within say 18 hours. I sipped warm lemon & ginger tea that I took with me (good tip).

I never needed pain meds again. I took an anti acid reflux for three days and never needed since. Incisions wounds no pain. I had a bloated gassy feeling for a couple of days but the ginger tea helped and I made myself burp...a lot!

All told my experience was really not that bad. I've never had a baby so can't compare but am sure childbirth would have been far worse. I'm pleased I did it. I have lost about 12% of my overall body weight in 6 weeks post surgery and feel and look much better. Good luck with your surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by lowbmi65

The pain really isn't all that bad. I had asked for non narcotics (so basically Tylenol) because I knew the harder stuff tends to make people sick and I was completely off of them by day 2. You will experience some discomfort but gas and all that but it really won't be all that bad unless you try and do a lot of extra moving around. I will say getting in and out of bed was tough, but nothing you won't be able to handle. Good luck! Don't worry you'll do fine!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

People have different experiences after surgery, as you note yourself. So no, no one can tell you exactly what to expect. Hope to be one of the people who are up and walking right after surgery but keep in mind that you may be one of those wailing in pain (in my experience there are more of the former than the latter). I do think everyone should expect some degree of pain after surgery, it's just that the level and kind varies. It is not realistic to expect no pain.

Plan out the things you can do to minimize the pain. Tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist that you are worried about pain control. Keep on top of your pain meds -- take them as prescribed rather than waiting for the pain to sneak up on you. Walk as much as you can and when you aren't walking, try to be sitting up in a chair rather than lying down in a bed -- sitting up helps get rid of gas, and getting up and down and in and out of bed can cause additional pain,

Good luck to you!

Really the only pain I had was the gas pain. It took about four days to completely clear my system. I was able to walk right away (slowly) but I felt better walking than laying around. Walking helps push the gas out which relieves the pain. I also needed help getting out of bed for a few days but was doing fine on my own after a week.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Happy Thanksgiving! I was sleeved 11/22 @11:40a. I woke up in recovery just throwing up, I know they gave me meds & I don't remember much, the next time I woke up I was in a private room doing much better. I was able to walk, go to the bathroom alone. I was released 11/23 I'm still in pain but manageable, I'm getting my fluids in, no throwing up, so that's good. I am still in pain, think mostly gas, my throat is a bit sore, one of the incisions hurt but my doc said that was fine. Pain is relative to the person experiencing it. I'm just looking forward to feeling 100% in a few days.

Blessings!

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

Ok. My experience with pain after surgery is from the drain tube. Kind of hard to explain but was localized. Lasted til they took dtain tube out, and THAT REALLY HURT for about 5 minutes. You'll need to walk, walk, walk. This helps with healing and gassy feeling. A MUST HAVE IS: Gas X STRIPS (lay in tongue and they dissolve). Take to hospital with you. These are my initial pains while still in hospital. I did get infection in 1 incision site HOWEVER that is not as common as pains you have been reading about.

Each person has different experiences. My sister and I did this together and we faired well. God bless you.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using the BariatricPal App

I was lucky...only took pain meds once in the hospital and that was for a headache. The incisional pain was never more than a 2 out of 10

Sent from my iPhone

Everyone is different but most experiences I have heard about did not involve terrible pain.

I was off painkillers by day 3 and my incisions never bothered me other than a bit of itchiness. I was tired more than anything and could only stay awake for a few hours at a time the first few days, but this always happens to me after surgery. Anesthesia hangover was worse for me than the pain.

It wasn't bad. I didn't take anything after leaving the hospital. The worst was day 2, and it was completely bearable. It felt like a lesser version of a c-section. Kind of like when I first stood up any time, I was afraid my guts would just fall out. It was more disconcerting than painful. By day four I was completely pain- free. I didn't even have residual gas pains.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I had no gas pain, was able to sleep on my sides in the hospital and my only post surgery complaint was that I was extremely tired for 4-5 days and could barely get out of bed. My only real pain was that while I was in the hospital I had a terrible back ache (I assume from the way I was positioned during surgery and in recovery), but by the next day when I was home that was better.