Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want breast reduction - is this too soon?

I am about 1/2 way to goal. I feel that the weight of my large breasts is holding me back from exercising and being active enough. I have arthritis in my back and this extra weight is killing me. I have lost about 45 lbs...

I wonder what your thoughts on this are? I have an appt. with the plastic surgeon next month. I just want to set a goal. I feel this will help me also with my weight loss overall. I am sure she will probably tell me to come back when I lose more weight, and this will be fine with me, but I really want this surgery soon.

I am also worried that my 39 BMI might be considered too high by Tufts HMO standards.

I am seeing my primary tomorrow. Not sure if she will support me on this.

Any ideas?

Thanks for much in advance.

My honest opinion is to wait.

In my experience (and this is just mine) my boobs got so much smaller within the last 20lbs. They just disappeared. I went from a good FF cup, to a DD overnight (it felt like it anyway)

You might find this will not be the case for you, everyone is different, but I would wait.

I 2nd waiting. I don't know how far you want them reduced, but i think it would be disappointing to go through the surgery and then lose the rest of your weight and find that they'd deflated... you know?

Thanks chickie and mari!

I think I probably have been talking myself out of it, and am leaning toward waiting at least a few more months anyway.

My only problem is that they are getting in the way of my exercising and getting around the way I need to right now. I am in pain every day. I am just getting anxious I guess.

Thanks again.

ps: Chickie....we call my daughter Chicky....that is her nickname...

Do you shop in a speciality boutique for your bras? If you don't get thee to a bra fitter. When we are, uh, "blessed" with large breasts, unless we are in the best bra for our back, and cup, we are going to be uncomfortable.

I brought the best sports bra when I started running (I was like a J cup when I started running). It looks like a crop top, but holds me down, and sort of flattens the breast against me to minimise any bounce. Best $120 I spent on a bra, ever! I still buy the same bra now that I am down to a DD.

Bras do a lot more than make our boobs look pretty. They change our posture.

Best of luck!

I totally agree with Chickie.

My boobs are just shrinking fast now, I'm into my healthy weight range and its only now I can notice that they're actually getting smaller - not just my back circumference. To have a breast reduction now, you'd risk jeaopardising the result if you get them all looking nice and then lose half their volume again.

And a good sports bra, like the Enell ones, well they make all the difference. I've managed to run perfectly comfortably with large breasts (E cup, now a D to DD). I get a lot of honks, whistles, toots and stares which is a pain in the behind, but they dont bounce too much.

I completely agree with waiting. I had a BR four years ago (looonnngg before the LB was even a thought), and I LOVE the size of my breasts now. But with all this weight to lose, I know I will have to probably have implants when I reach goal. :P If you get a reduction now, you could end up having to turn right around and get them 'pumped back up' when you reach goal. :confused:

I'm just noticing now too - I have minimal loose skin on my tummy, I could probably benefit from some cosmetic surgery but I can wear a bikini without making people vomit. But I'm developing horrid loose skin on my boobs, they're taking on that awful old flaccid appearance.

I'm not sure what they can do about that, whether only implants could fill it out - and they're big enough, I sure dont need implants. But I'd be very pissed to have paid for a reduction only to end up getting implants!

Just so you know with bra fitting.. Lane Bryant/Cacique are having a store wide bra fitting event coming up. You could probably find details online, I got the flyer in the mail yesterday with a catalogue.

Thanks so much for the bra information.

Chicky and Jachut, you both look terrific! I saw your after pic. on another post.

I actually purchased a decent sports bra from JC Penny. It really does flatten me right out and I like the racer T back, I'm on a computer all day for my work and my upper back pain is a beast.

I'm 53, so am struggling with the aches and pains that made exercise difficult and I hate these boobs!!!!

Thanks again.

I will definitely wait.

PS: I'll check out those higher-end priced bras...they are worth it.

I am about 1/2 way to goal. I feel that the weight of my large breasts is holding me back from exercising and being active enough. I have arthritis in my back and this extra weight is killing me. I have lost about 45 lbs...

I wonder what your thoughts on this are? I have an appt. with the plastic surgeon next month. I just want to set a goal. I feel this will help me also with my weight loss overall. I am sure she will probably tell me to come back when I lose more weight, and this will be fine with me, but I really want this surgery soon.

I am also worried that my 39 BMI might be considered too high by Tufts HMO standards.

I am seeing my primary tomorrow. Not sure if she will support me on this.

Any ideas?

Thanks for much in advance.

OK, since you asked I was a JJJ (yeah for real)

I am now a DDD or EEE depending on the bra, so yes I would say wait. I know it is a b* exercising with 2 boulders on your chest but it CAN be done, I did it, I do it now! lol....I am at 15 pounds from goal and just now goign to see a PS for consult. My Dr would not approve it before now!

Thanks boo boo,

gosh you look terrific. You go girl.

I guess with my age, over 50, i was feeling sorry for myself. I can't get around and exercise as well as you yung uns.....believe me...swinging these things around makes me very unhappy indeedy....lol.

YOu are all a great inspiration.

thanks again.