Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

...trouble with binge eating....

I'm 2 years post-op and just this last 5-6 days I have had a real issue with binge eating...it's an issue I had for years before surgery and never addressed and until last Thursday, hadn't had a single instance since my surgery...I know that psychological counseling is the best route to take but I'm also wondering if there may be a physical component to this episode. My weight was at an all-time low last week, 105, and I'm wondering if the extreme carb restriction coupled with my low body weight has made me crave carbs that much more....anyone with any experience with this, I would love to hear from you.

Why is your weight so low? Have you not been eating enough? You may just be hungry from lack of food!

Between your very low weight and binge eating, I would highly advise getting professional help for disordered eating. And if you've received counseling or treatment before for it, it may be time for a tune up. Take care of yourself!

How tall are you? I would agree 105 seems very low.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That's pretty light, although it all depends on your build/frame...you may just be petite. But my feeling is, you probably shouldn't be losing any more weight, at this point. If you're not tracking your daily intake with an app or something, you should consider starting...you need a better idea of how many calories you're consuming daily and what the macro breakdown is. You need to bring your daily calories consumed in line with your average TDEE (total daily energy expended). That will keep you maintaining. I suspect that your daily calorie requirement is quite a bit higher than what you're generally eating.

I wouldn't "binge" anymore, because that's a gateway for disordered eating...but if you need more calories, I would definitely be trying to schedule in an extra meal or two, to meet your calorie needs.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

@@PorkChopExpress

I do track my calories every day and I keep it around 1200-1400. I work out 5 days a week for roughly 45 minutes and drink plenty of Water. I'm definitely not trying to lose more weight, just trying to maintain, but this binging thing is an old issue...I thought I had moved past it since this is the first episode since my surgery...guess maybe some habits are harder to break than others.

@@jess9395

I'm 5'4 and have a small-to-medium frame...my BMI is considered normal so I haven't really been worried about what my weight is. I'm not trying to lose more weight, just maintain, but its been harder than I thought it would be.

I don't know how old you are but my calculations put you as underweight.... I would really recommend you see both a registered dietician to figure out how to eat for fuel properly and a therapist to deal with the bingeing. post-194772-14781959272932_thumb.jpg

105 pounds at 5'4 is not normal weight. You are considered underweight.

Obviously if you are still losing weight, the answer is to up your calories until you stop. If you are eating 1400, go to 1500 or even 1600 until your weight stabilizes. But make sure what you're eating is Protein from fish, legumes, meat or dairy, veggies, fruits and nuts so you're getting full nutrition and curbing hunger and cravings. Cutting out sugar and carbs pretty much cuts out the cravings, also. That may help with the binge eating situation.

I feel you need treatment for disordered eating, but I'm no expert. But usually if you can't seem to get control of things on your own, professional help is warranted. Good luck to you!

I'm currently at 108 and my BMI is considered normal according to the charts Ive looked at... I was only 105 for a few weeks so I'm guessing that between the daily calories and the binge eating, I must have found roughly the amount I need to take in to not only stop losing weight but actually gain some weight... I appreciate the advice from everyone, thanks! I'll look into seeing a professional if the issues continue.

If you haven't had a binge episode in 2 years you may just be having issues due to life stressors or because you have been calorie restricted for a while. Take stock in what's going on in your life right now and see if you can make any connections.

Just remember that the excercise you are doing for 45 minutes is raising your TDEE, so you may actually STILL be in a daily deficit.

@@PorkChopExpress

I do track my calories every day and I keep it around 1200-1400. I work out 5 days a week for roughly 45 minutes and drink plenty of Water. I'm definitely not trying to lose more weight, just trying to maintain, but this binging thing is an old issue...I thought I had moved past it since this is the first episode since my surgery...guess maybe some habits are harder to break than others.