Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazed at being qualified

Hello everyone!

I'm in the Philadelphia PA area. Went to an information session about bariatric surgery back in June 2016 and decided on the SLEEVE. Wasn't actually sure if I would qualify at 220lbs-but to my amazement and delight, I met the BMI minimum threshold of 40 (guess being short worked to my advantage this time! LOL). Have completed almost all of my pre-approval appointments-just gotta get 1 more test/procedure then meet with Pysch dr before seeing my surgeon again and hopefully getting a surgery date. How many people in this group that had some sort of bariatric surgery went in needing to lose more than 50 lbs but less than 100lbs? My goal is to lose about 65-75lbs.......any more than that and I'll look like a drug addict or someone with an eating disorder. I know that I'll be out of work for about 6 weeks (based on the timeline my surgeon gave me); I'm wondering what to say at work if asked why I'm going out for 6 weeks- I want to say I have to have surgery, but really don't want to go into details on the type. I also want whatever I say to jibe with the weight loss I'll display upon my return to work. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated!

*Sorry for thr rambling*

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by ladygg1967

At this point, I want to lose about 70 more lbs. I was approved with a BMI of 35. Why 6 weeks? I am only taking off 2 weeks, which is what my surgeon suggested? I am up-and-down at work, all day long. Most people on here take 2-3 weeks for a sleeve. I told people I am having hernia repair, others have said gallbladder. However, I did tell my boss the truth. You could always say female surgery. That usually keeps people from asking more personal questions. I've lost 25 lbs before surgery, so everybody already knows I'm working hard at changing my eating habits. I'm sure you will go on a pre-surgery diet, as well, so this will help with that part of your concern. I will be starting my pureed diet when I go back to work, but I will just eat alone through the pureed stage so I don't have to answer any questions. You could tell co-workers you need to rest during your lunch break and eat in your office or car. Just a few suggestions.

I you have 6 weeks you can take -- take them. I am taking a total of 6 weeks (sleeved on September 28 and going back to work on November 14). There is no way I could have gone back after 2 weeks, and even though I am feeling better for the most part, as soon as I go back to work, the focus will be on work and not on getting my Protein and fluids in. My long-term success hinged on taking time to get myself started down this post-op path before stress and work drama get added into my mix. (That being said, I have been with my company for 10 years, and I have tremendous benefits -- short-term disability that pays at 100% for up to 13 weeks being one of them.)

As far as telling your colleagues, that is your decision to make. I have been very open with everyone in my life from before the first doctor's appointment. I also lost 99 pounds during my six-month pre-op insurance-required diet program, so everyone in my life is well-aware of my journey and what is going on with me.

Good luck!

Armygalbonnie......

Thanks for your response..I'm taking 6 weeks because my doctor recommended being back on regular foods before going back to work (she said she's found her patients have had the most success if they're already eating regular foods-albeit smaller portions). As far as a "story" goes, I want to be consistent with whatever I wind up saying; unfortunately just saying "female" surgery won't cut it.......my department has about 40 people-only 3 of which are men. "Female" surgery would end a convo with them (not really an issue with them anyway-as I only run into 1 of them on a regular basis).....it's the women on my shift-2nd shift-who are like family, just not the family I'd want to share the true nature of my surgery with-& the hens I always overlap with from 1st shift.......

I said quality of life surgery to my co- workers. When I returned I told the office people that I work closely with but to the rest who have started commenting on my weight loss I tell them high Protein and low carbs have helped me lose weight.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I too was surprised that i qualified. I was close on the BMI because I too am short but qualified with my sleep Apena. I was wondering those of us with less then 100 lbs to lose does the weight still come off quickly?

I told my boss that I am having abdominal surgery. I didn't think it was his business so I didn't tell him anything more specific than that!

I am 5'4 and was 209 the day I met with my surgeon for the first time back in March. I have severe Obstructive sleep Apnea, and that is what qualified me with a BMI of 35.9. I just got insurance approval for surgery, hoping to schedule the first week of December.

I too was surprised that i qualified. I was close on the BMI because I too am short but qualified with my sleep Apena. I was wondering those of us with less then 100 lbs to lose does the weight still come off quickly?

As a rule, no. The lower the BMI, the slower the weight loss. Don't let that discourage you. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thank Babbs, How long did it take you to lose the 90 Lbs you have lost? Just trying to know what to expect.

Tgrow....I'm going to Temple Bariatric with Dr. Clarke. She did my cousin's sleeve and the results are simply amazing! My cousin is about 2 inches shorter than me and her BMI was the same (40)......I haven't seen her at her current size in about 16 yrs-she's my inspiration!