Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being a trainer doesn't make you an expert on...

.... ANYTHING but exercise.

Idiot.

Ok, so the head trainer at my gym was great yesterday. I enjoyed the workout (gosh I'm in bad shape) and decided that using a trainer a few times a month wouldn't be a bad idea. I did exercises I wouldn't have thought to do, and the encouragement helps. He made a good argument for starting strength training immediately even though I believe I have a long way to go on cardio first.

So while we're setting up my contract, I get introduced to the VP over operations, and he asked what my motivation for being there was. I told him I had a bunch of health conditions that piled on last year, and ended up deciding to have the sleeve 6 weeks ago, and I don't want to blow it. I want to make the lifestyle changes needed to make this stick.

Cue the standard crap from him:

* His mother had the lap band and then bypass. She gained all the weight back from the lap band and is only being successful with the bypass because she's finally following his directions.

* He's has "lots" of experience dealing with post-WLS patients.

* If I'd come to him earlier, he could have prevented me from needing the surgery. After all, the people who get the surgery say they've "tried everything" but they really haven't.

* All the surgery does is enforce Portion Control, and that can be done without surgery.

* But since it's already done, we'll work with what we have.

* My surgeon doesn't know what nutrition is needed. *HE* (the VP) will tell me what I should eat. (I will give him this - I am not eating enough Protein, I'll have to really ramp that up.) Sorry, dude. When you tell me that I can't count Beans or Peanut Butter as Proteins because they're not "complete" without discussing my knowledge of nutrition, you fail. I was raised vegetarian and know perfectly well how to combine foods to get a complete protein.

Bite me.

So I finally got rid of him, and got back to the head trainer who wanted to go through food lists (at the prompting of the VP). I had to explain to him (because I wasn't bothering with the VP) that I get *incredibly* ill in ketosis, so his "carbs are the enemy" lecture doesn't wash with me. I am willing to control my carbs so long as I'm above ketosis levels, and concentrate on complex carbs and healthy choices, but I will *not* do a ketogenic diet. Then I get a mini lecture on how tilapia is not a good choice (already knew that, but it's better than some other choices) and how swai fish is a GREAT choice. Looked that up when I got home, and it's a catfish from the far east. Sorry, dude. I don't eat bottom feeders or filter fish.

I get that most people they deal with are not well educated on nutrition. I get that trainers know more than the average bear about the subject. However, both of these guys are competitive body builders. Their nutritional approach is not going to work for everyone, and they need to learn to be flexible about it. I'm just glad we didn't even discuss veggies, because they'd be horrified to find that I just don't eat them (though I'm working on expanding my palate). And telling me to "just eat them" doesn't work, since I basically have PTSD around veggies and can't physically make myself eat something or I'll throw it up.

I wish they'd stick to the exercise piece.

Trainers are such . I told one a few years ago, dude, im. It here to become miss fitness America. I just need to lose weight. They tried that tilapia crap with me too.. I informed him that I do not eat ANY seafood. I'm allergic. But this mother effer just wouldn't accept that. I stood up during the consult and told him to go eff himself and his fish and his "magical muscle building juice" that I can only get from them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm the best expert on nutrition. (for me that is). Cause only the stuff that I will actually eat is gonna count. ;)

I'd never tell any trainers/fitness type people I had surgery. When I went to crossfit, I didn't tell them I had surgery and when they gave me food recommendations, I just smiled and nodded my head, like I do when chicks tell me that makeup isn't necessary :lol: (and it is always the chicks that need some makeup the most).

They know for a fact that exercising makes people hungry, but they try to pretend everyone can Portion Control without surgery easily and like being active doesn't mean being constantly hungry. Even the great Arnold has complained about always being hungry. You can erase 2 hours in the gym with one bad food choice in 90 seconds.

What is funny is I know a few professional trainers personally. Which is lucky for me since I can't afford their rates of $300 plus an hour. The thing is, they almost never give nutritional advice, ever. That isn't their focus.

I swear 95% of trainers have never had issues with food. Its like me telling a smoker, just stop smoking. I have no idea how it is to smoke and be addicted. I never understood how people would tell me they forgot to eat the entire day until 10pm. Whaa? So I cant pay a trainer to tell me about nutrition and how he could have saved me from surgery.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I swear 95% of trainers have never had issues with food. Its like me telling a smoker, just stop smoking. I have no idea how it is to smoke and be addicted. I never understood how people would tell me they forgot to eat the entire day until 10pm. Whaa? So I cant pay a trainer to tell me about nutrition and how he could have saved me from surgery.

Exactly. And with my food issues, I don't know if most people are able to just make themselves eat stuff they find gross, but I know body builders just shrug and down it. So they don't know what it's like to literally not be able to force oneself to eat something. "Just do it" doesn't work like that for me.

I think many people think fat peoole will happily eat anything in front of them. Unfortunately I think its quite the opposite. I know I am a very picky eater. Some things will set me to start gagging and possibly throw up. Especially some vegetables. It's not only the taste but also the smell. Peas are evil.

Peas.are.Evil.

Lol

A severe texture aversion to most fruits and veggies played an active role in my inability to lose weight and my constant weight gain while growing up. I always tried to explain to the doctors/nuts/etc, even when I was just a child, that I WANTED to eat these foods and I TRIED to eat them, but the moment I put them in my mouth, my gag reflex kicks in immediately and I literally get sick trying to force these things down my throat. I would still try, and still get sick, all the time, and no one I ever talked to ever believed me. I was just a fat kid that "didn't want to" eat healthy foods. Never mind that my texture problems extend to plenty of unhealthy foods, like popcorn, twizzlers, Gummy anything, etc.

Edited by Cervidae

I think many people think fat peoole will happily eat anything in front of them. Unfortunately I think its quite the opposite. I know I am a very picky eater. Some things will set me to start gagging and possibly throw up. Especially some vegetables. It's not only the taste but also the smell. Peas are evil.

Peas.are.Evil.

Lol

Peas ARE evil! They've made me gag since I was little. I figured when I became an adult and our palates can change that maybe I'd like them now. Nope. Still gross.

I joined Planet Fitness and sat down with the "personal trainer" there. I started off telling him that I've had the sleeve done and just need to know the following things so I don't end up passed out on their floor:

Weights

Reps

Sets

As long as I'm given a routine to do with that information, I can do it.

After explaining what the surgery is and how I have to eat now he gasped and told me I HAVE to have carbs! (Had told him Protein first then if I have the room veggies and fruits). I explained this is the diet given to me by my surgical team and that's how I'll eat. He proceeds to tell me I need to go to some government website about nutrition to find out how I should be eating and how many calories. I looked at him and asked "Did you not just hear what I said?" He shrugged his shoulders and told me that maybe I'd find some other ideas.

When it came to the exercise portion he wrote down what muscle group I should be working on each day. For Tuesday it was Legs/Bottom (I'll get to this in a minute). He then proceeds to tell me I need to go to a body building website, choose the muscle group I was going to be working out that day and choose 3 videos to watch so I can learn how to do the exercises when I come in. :o When I asked what bottom meant on leg day he said "You know, like your calves...the bottom of your legs." I asked "Um, wouldn't that just be, you know, legs?"

I had to tell this guy he didn't know what he was doing and for someone like me that has above average knowledge of this stuff compared to someone else walking in off the street he was going to have someone seriously hurting themselves on his hands.

I've moved to another gym and will be starting soon.

A severe texture aversion to most fruits and veggies played an active role in my inability to lose weight and my constant weight gain while growing up. I always tried to explain to the doctors/nuts/etc, even when I was just a child, that I WANTED to eat these foods and I TRIED to eat them, but the moment I put them in my mouth, my gag reflex kicks in immediately and I literally get sick trying to force these things down my throat. I would still try, and still get sick, all the time, and no one I ever talked to ever believed me. I was just a fat kid that "didn't want to" eat healthy foods. Never mind that my texture problems extend to plenty of unhealthy foods, like popcorn, twizzlers, Gummy anything, etc.

We think mine started as a texture aversion. However, my father took it as an affront to his authority and started force-feeding them to me. One of several reasons I started seeing a therapist when I started down the path to WLS. We've been treating it as PTSD, though I hate applying that label to something that seems so minor in the scope of things. I'm starting to branch out and try new foods, but between the aversion and the sleeve haven't worked up to veggies yet. :)

I joined Planet Fitness and sat down with the "personal trainer" there. I started off telling him that I've had the sleeve done and just need to know the following things so I don't end up passed out on their floor:

Weights

Reps

Sets

After explaining what the surgery is and how I have to eat now he gasped and told me I HAVE to have carbs! (Had told him Protein first then if I have the room veggies and fruits). I explained this is the diet given to me by my surgical team and that's how I'll eat. He proceeds to tell me I need to go to some government website about nutrition to find out how I should be eating and how many calories. I looked at him and asked "Did you not just hear what I said?" He shrugged his shoulders and told me that maybe I'd find some other ideas.

When it came to the exercise portion he wrote down what muscle group I should be working on each day. For Tuesday it was Legs/Bottom (I'll get to this in a minute). He then proceeds to tell me I need to go to a body building website, choose the muscle group I was going to be working out that day and choose 3 videos to watch so I can learn how to do the exercises when I come in. :o When I asked what bottom meant on leg day he said "You know, like your calves...the bottom of your legs." I asked "Um, wouldn't that just be, you know, legs?"

I had to tell this guy he didn't know what he was doing and for someone like me that has above average knowledge of this stuff compared to someone else walking in off the street he was going to have someone seriously hurting themselves on his hands.

OMG, that's awful. I'm at L.A. Fitness, since it's the closest gym with an indoor pool (with my arthritis I have to start with Water walking and work my way up to more serious cardio and workouts). While they obviously have some issues around the nutrition/WLS thing, I was very impressed with the trainer for the workout piece. They're all certified "master" trainers, and really seem to know what they're doing with demonstrating exercises and modifying for physical limitations.

Weights

Reps

Sets

OMG, that's awful. I'm at L.A. Fitness, since it's the closest gym with an indoor pool (with my arthritis I have to start with Water walking and work my way up to more serious cardio and workouts). While they obviously have some issues around the nutrition/WLS thing, I was very impressed with the trainer for the workout piece. They're all certified "master" trainers, and really seem to know what they're doing with demonstrating exercises and modifying for physical limitations.

I joined Chuze Fitness since they opened a gym not to far from me. I made sure before I joined that their trainers are actually nationally certified and not just some version they made up. They are, thank goodness!