Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegas, regrets and a NSV

I suppose I'm just looking to share with others in my shoes. I'm 6 wks out today. I hit the dreaded 3 week stall I assume because the scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks. That's a long ass stall!

I just got home from a business trip in Vegas. My plan allows for crab meat and baked fish at this point and I figured I could share with my husband. It was SO much harder than I anticipated. I had the expected difficulties with wanting to eat steak and all the other wonderful things that got me to bariatric surgery. I did not expect that I couldn't eat anything!! My stomach is not ready for fish or crab. I tried two bites, chewed well and hurt for hours. I was so discouraged. I had Protein Bars packed and ate those, but I really struggled to get any significant Protein or calories in. I wanted to cry. I was so mad at myself for having this surgery! All this and the damn scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks! How do you not lose weight on 600 calories a day max?

Then I went to the spa for a massage. And for the first time in years, I was able to wear the regular robe out the locker. The attending didn't have to discreetly get me a "different robe." Such a small thing, but it made such a big difference in my attitude.

I wish my sleeve was healing faster. I wish I could tolerate a larger variety of foods. But, I know its going to get better. And it's going to be worth it.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

I went to Vegas (MGM) for a week the beginning of August for a business convention. I ate a half bacon, egg, cheeese on an English muffin (top removed) for breakfastt, the other half for lunchh, a proteen bar as a snack, and a few pieces of jerrky for dinnerr. I did drink, but I saved a TON of money, walked 20k steps per day, never felt deprived and came home 6 pounds lighter.

I'm three years out. Take advantage of this time to retrain your brain. It's an awesome thing.

Edit. I can spell. My errors are so my words don't link to the store.

@@MarieLouise

My Dr told me crab can be tough and it can. What you can eat really depends on the moisture content. Early on, you want your food to be as moist as possible.

Most people won't lose weight on 600 calories. I didn't really start losing weight until 6 weeks when I could eat 800-900 calories. 600 calories a day for a lot of people is going to be starvation level and their body is going to reject it.

i had surgery on 3/28. When i first got out of surgery I had an extremely bad reaction to the anesthesia.. I was hyperventilating, crying hysterically, and wishing that I never made the decision to get surgery. I'm 5 months post-op as of yesterday & 60 pounds down - 35 to goal.. trust me the pain and suffering you are going through now is all worth it in the end - not only for being able to fit into that smaller bath robe, bur for your health. keep up the good work, try to stay positive and don't give up! Your journey to a better life has just begun!

I am 16 days post op and Its scary to think that you couldnt handle fish and crab but a Protein bar was not a problem. They are hard and chewy, I would think the real food would be better than a Protein Bar.. yikes!

Edited by Tami_Lynn

@@MarieLouise

My Dr told me crab can be tough and it can. What you can eat really depends on the moisture content. Early on, you want your food to be as moist as possible.

Most people won't lose weight on 600 calories. I didn't really start losing weight until 6 weeks when I could eat 800-900 calories. 600 calories a day for a lot of people is going to be starvation level and their body is going to reject it.

I disagree. I haven't eaten more than 600 calories in a day and I haven't had any issues. I'm 5 months out and my surgeon and nut say 600 a day right now is what I should be eating.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I am 16 days post op and Its scary to think that you couldnt handle fish and crab but a Protein bar was not a problem. They are hard and chewy, I would think the real food would be better than a Protein bar.. yikes!

Depends on the Protein Bar. There are many that are not hard and chewy. Atkins chocolate and Peanut Butter are my fav.

Other than tuna fish, I haven't tried fish yet, although stocked up in the freezer. I'm heading to Vegas next month. On one hand I'm a tad concerned about eating, although I'll have a kitchen. I also know I'll be doing more walking than I normally do which is a good thing.

I am 16 days post op and Its scary to think that you couldnt handle fish and crab but a Protein bar was not a problem. They are hard and chewy, I would think the real food would be better than a Protein bar.. yikes!

I thought the same, but that's how it is. I can't eat a whole Protein Bar in one sitting however. I'm really looking forward to real food being my go to soon!

Other than tuna fish, I haven't tried fish yet, although stocked up in the freezer. I'm heading to Vegas next month. On one hand I'm a tad concerned about eating, although I'll have a kitchen. I also know I'll be doing more walking than I normally do which is a good thing.

Having a kitchen should help a ton! I would have killed for a stick of string cheese lol. I hope you have a good trip!

I know it's frustrating! Everyone stalls! Everyone heals and moves and different paces. Don't beat yourself up! You may be feeling better but your stomach is miles still swollen inside and will be for probably two more at least. It will get better.. I promise. When your swelling is gone you'll notice the difference in how much and what you can eat. Likewise, the stall is actually because you aren't eating enough calories. I did the same, and Doctor said if I was getting too few (under 900) my body was storing the fat. Makes sense! Stay positive, you got this!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I suppose I'm just looking to share with others in my shoes. I'm 6 wks out today. I hit the dreaded 3 week stall I assume because the scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks. That's a long ass stall!

I just got home from a business trip in Vegas. My plan allows for crab meat and baked fish at this point and I figured I could share with my husband. It was SO much harder than I anticipated. I had the expected difficulties with wanting to eat steak and all the other wonderful things that got me to bariatric surgery. I did not expect that I couldn't eat anything!! My stomach is not ready for fish or crab. I tried two bites, chewed well and hurt for hours. I was so discouraged. I had Protein bars packed and ate those, but I really struggled to get any significant Protein or calories in. I wanted to cry. I was so mad at myself for having this surgery! All this and the damn scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks! How do you not lose weight on 600 calories a day max?

Then I went to the spa for a massage. And for the first time in years, I was able to wear the regular robe out the locker. The attending didn't have to discreetly get me a "different robe." Such a small thing, but it made such a big difference in my attitude.

I wish my sleeve was healing faster. I wish I could tolerate a larger variety of foods. But, I know its going to get better. And it's going to be worth it.

You are likely stalled because you ar not eating enough food. Your body is in starvation mode and holding on to every calorie it gets to help you survive.

Same thing happened to me. I had to push myself to get 1000 calories a day on a regular basis in order to start losing regularly again.

If you can drink the shakes then do so. Gotta get your Protein intake up to meet your goals. You likely see wait loss occurring then.