Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had everything in place for surgery this Friday, August 19th and I cancelled. I am so sad right now. I am just so afraid I will be sick all the time and I can't get past it. Obviously, I am not ready for this but I can't seem to let it go either.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I cancelled before too, this time I have the right support system in place, which last time I didn't. My wife and kids are being very supportive this time around. So far, I've lost 40lbs and just started my pre-op diet today. DOING what is best for you is the way to go. GOOD LUCK with your health in the future.

Thank you so much for responding and telling you did the samething. You just gave me a spark of hope again. Good luck to you!

@@even11, give yourself permission for time to more fully absorb the idea of surgery and lifelong changes for lifelong success. Don't do it until you are reasonably calm of mind, heart and gut.

While you anticipate post-surgery problems, remind yourself that there's always a possibility regardless of the surgery, meaning bariatric, appendectomy, a manicure or other. We all make choices when we're as close to ready as anyone can be.

Fear of being sick all the time ?

FWIW, I've yet to get sick since having my sleeve. Losing the weight, exercising and taking Vitamins has had a great impact on how much better I feel.

What is is about VSG that makes you think you'll be sick all the time ?

Dub - I know I love hearing about your success! It is very exciting and reassuring that everything can work out the way is suppose to be. I have also read what can happen when it doesn't go so perfectly. I suppose I need to prepare mentally more that. Thank you

I cancelled once before as well. But I started getting sick all the time and realized my health was way more important. I know 5 people in my life personally that have the sleeve and not a single one of them has issues with being sick. Not a single one regrets it & not a single one has had any issues post-op. They love their sleeves and have had major success. Not to mention I'm in a fb support group of over 80 sleevers and same applies to them too. Do what is right for you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by casenior

Follow your heart. If you have educated yourself on the process which I am sure you have then do what you think is best. It isnt for everyone. Maybe it just isnt the right time for you. Good luck to you!! We all respect your decision. It is life changing. I am 3 weeks post surgery, and thankful I did it. I am 60 years old and my window was getting slim for a change. Dont know how I will feel tomorrow...but today I am grateful. Best wishes!!!

What is the support group on fb called? Is it open?

It's a private group, but you're welcome to message me for info :) it initially began as a group for people that had their procedure in September 2015 but has grown to include more.

I backed out of gastric band four years ago. When I decided to have VSG this summer I was in a much better place and had the full backing of my family.

@@even11, my surgery is in 2 weeks, August 30. Today I was required to attend a 90 minute "Mental Preparedness" class. There were 5 of us in the class. Three of those who attended had backed out before all of it because of worry. I get that!

My surgery was supposed to happen this past April. Lots of things happened that moved the date to the end of this month. I have to tell you that in April I did not have my head in the game for sure! I am way more prepared now. I'm a fact-finder so I just had to take the time to research the daylights out of it. So trust your intuition and take your time.

My surgeon requires a Personal Statement before he will consider anyone for the surgery. He wants to know all about why you need to or think you need WLS. When I wrote the statement last September 2015, it was about 3/4 of a page long when I gave it to him. I've continued to write it and it's now 3 pages long. I have 60 reasons why I want to get this weight off, the rest is personal thoughts about the process, telling friends, what will happen if I don't lose weight, etc.

So maybe if you sit down and put some thought into it? Write it down?

Here are the books I read, twice each this past year to get my head and heart ready for the irreversible change of WLS:

• "The Sleeved Life; A patient to patient guide to VSG weight loss surgery" by Pennie Nicola
  • "Through Thick and Thin; The Emotional Journey of Weight Loss Surgery" by Warren L. Huberman, Ph.D
  • "Because I was Fat" by Andy Butler (didn't like this one as much)
  • "The Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success" by Dr. Duc C. Vuong
  • "Protein First; The First Rule of Weight Loss Surgery" by Kaye Bailey
  • "Okay, I've gone through weight loss surgery, now what do I do" by Joanne M Moff
  • "Skinny Jeans at Last! Secrets to Long Term Weight Loss Success" by Clifton Thomas, MD
  • "The Beck Diet Solution" by Judith S Beck, Ph.D (only read this one once)

Perhaps one or more of these books will help.

Best of luck to you.