Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. Coming up on day 7 post op. Down 13 pounds. Very little pain and overall feeling good except for one thing- I AM SO HUNGRY!

Everyone says we should not be hungry but I know what I'm feeling is physical hunger. All day I think and dream about food. Not even super fatty food. Just a bite of chicken breast or a cucumber would make me happy. I'm dreaming about the purée stage at this point.

I've been getting my liquids and Protein in but that only totals to about 200-300 calories a day. I've been adding GENEPRO to almost everything I consume to get my protein in. shakes started making me sick and I'm even allowed yogurt and SF pudding. Taking a PPI twice a day.

What should I do??? I don't feel like this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Omg sooo weird!!! I totally feel like this too and I was sleeved on the July 13th too!!! So tomorrow I'll be a week post op. Today I totally was wishing I could just have some cottage cheese and scrambled egg. I can't wait until next week when I'll be able to have soft food! I think maybe it's mostly head hunger since we are still getting used to not chewing and eating everything, so we crave it. I also am not sure if it's actual hunger for me, or just gas. Lol. But it feels like hunger!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I'm feeling both pain, official 7day out lol... I actually have been up making my kids Breakfast, lunch and dinner for the last 3 days. When they eat, I drink my Protein and daydream about the small plate I will have in just a few weeks time. I just think, if I eat now I can do some serious internal damage (SO I DON'T LOL).... It's actually helping me I think. When I tried to stay out the kitchen the cravings were worst for some reason. Knowing that food could be a worst addiction my Bariatric handbook said to let others cook from now on but I think that is 40% the reason I gained so much to begin with( husband cooks everything in grease with tortillas and rice 80% of the time. I need to exercise control now if I'm going to reap the benefits of this journey later. I used to eat while cooking and then eat the kids left over's with my husband. No more of that. This is practice lol... I'm not going to lie, today I was daydreaming about having a BBQ lol I wasn't even hungry. Just thinking the way I have been for years(about food). This is new territory not eating every time I think about food... I'm going to embrace this new self control.

Edited by Destinee_1

I had mine July 12. This is the first day I have woke up and my stomach was grumbling like I am hungry! I'm sitting here with my hot Decaf tea.....

You're not going to like my answer, but I will post it anyway. What can you do? Suck it up and keep going! You are almost to the puree' stage and you can and WILL make it. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's a miserable feeling, but it's kind of like labor. It's horrible while it's happening, but the results are worth it. Plus, in a few weeks, you will forget about how miserable you were.

You can do it!! I'm rooting for you! Stay strong, rinse every few hours with Listerine (because nothing tastes good after that), drink lots of Water, knit or paint your nails (keeps your hands busy), walk, walk, walk...

You will get through this.

Meal Replacement shakes, like the ones I mainly used - SlimFast High Protein/Advanced Nutrition badged shakes, come with some extra calories, typically because they add some healthy fats - those are 180 cals each with just 1g of sugar and 20g of Protein. Three of those a day is 540 cals, add a greek yogurt and you're at 660 cals - not so bad.

I can barely get one Protein supplement down a day, and that's if I do half in the morning and half late afternoon. I'm drinking about 96 oz. Of Water, as ordered by the doc, and that doesn't leave much room for anything else. How are people getting so much Protein down at one week out? I guess different docs have different orders. I only do the protein if I'm feeling weak. I seem to be doing fine on about one a day, so far.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

@@reddy4chng

Going without Protein isn't an option. You have to force it down if you want to or not, if you feel hungry or not.

Keep in mind Protein shakes count toward your liquid intake for the day with most Drs. As well as Yogurt, Jello and anything else that turns to liquid at body temp.

I can barely get one Protein supplement down a day, and that's if I do half in the morning and half late afternoon. I'm drinking about 96 oz. Of Water, as ordered by the doc, and that doesn't leave much room for anything else. How are people getting so much Protein down at one week out? I guess different docs have different orders. I only do the protein if I'm feeling weak. I seem to be doing fine on about one a day, so far.

I was able to count all fluids toward my total, so if you are able to drink 96 oz of Water you can get in your protein. You can add protein to water (try something like ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, Syntrax nectar, or similar) or even just drinking Protein shakes (like premier). 3 Premier Protein shakes would be 90 grams protein and 33 oz of Fluid.

Cindyw41, thanks, but that isn't my doctors orders. Protein doesn't count toward liquid and isn't mandatory, for now. I think I will go with what they have told me. I start actual Protein next week.

Why isn't protein required now? It is critical for healing. Plus, you are hungry. Your body NEEDS protein to heal.

I think I am hungry at times but know I am not. I think it's partly head hunger and part stomach acid. I am looking forward to puréed stage tomorrow for different tastes and textures. I am not losing as fast as I thought I would. I retained a lot of the iv Fluid for a while but now am losing 1-2 lbs every two days. I am so happy I did this. My incisions itch but hardly any pain.

I found chicken broth super satisfying. sugar free popsicles are amazing, I still always have them on hand.

Have broth, sugar free popsicles, infused Water, crystal light...mix it up so you have some variety. Staying on plan will help speed up your recovery! Stay strong!