Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw three plastics surgeons for consultations, one of them submitted to my insurance for prior authorization. I got denied.

I appealed.

It was overturned, and I have been approved for panniculectomy! Hooray! I am going to pay the extra $$ to get my upper belly sag fixed, as well, the whole Tummy Tuck, not just the panniculus. All three surgeons highly recommended I do the tummy tuck portion because of how my skin sits on my belly button from above.

Regardless, I am probably doing this late September/early October, and I am freaking out. Looking for advice from people who have BTDT (been there, done that)! Things I'm most freaking out about:

1. Narcotics. I hate being nauseated and constipated, and just plain don't like the way they make me feel.

2. Anesthesia: I hate being nauseated.

3. Drains: Didn't get them when I had my sleeve done 2.5 years ago, can't imagine what they're like. Any wisdom?

Thanks for your advice!

Your doctor can give your anti nausea medicine. Tell the anesthesiologist that you get sick with surgery. You don't have to take narcotics very long and can soon to be taking Tylenol. Tell your doctor which meds make you sick ask if you need a drain, most likely not.

Better to ask your questions call and speak the the doctors nurse, make sure she is a nurse. Tell your doctors your history with named sna d surgery so you can have a better experience. Ask if you may need a drain and how long for.

I saw three plastics surgeons for consultations, one of them submitted to my insurance for prior authorization. I got denied.

I appealed.

It was overturned, and I have been approved for panniculectomy! Hooray! I am going to pay the extra $$ to get my upper belly sag fixed, as well, the whole Tummy Tuck, not just the panniculus. All three surgeons highly recommended I do the tummy tuck portion because of how my skin sits on my belly button from above.

Regardless, I am probably doing this late September/early October, and I am freaking out. Looking for advice from people who have BTDT (been there, done that)! Things I'm most freaking out about:

1. Narcotics. I hate being nauseated and constipated, and just plain don't like the way they make me feel.

2. Anesthesia: I hate being nauseated.

3. Drains: Didn't get them when I had my sleeve done 2.5 years ago, can't imagine what they're like. Any wisdom?

Thanks for your advice!

I too don't like narcotics. Luckily I've had only a couple surgeries (appendix and c-section). I don't like the way they make me feel either. However, if it was morphine you didn't like for instance, perhaps there's an alternative. I'm not sure but usually if you explain past reactions to drugs they will work with you to make things easier. Good luck!

I am also heading for TT, thigh fix'n and "lady bits made perdy". My surgery date is Aug. 9th. Yikes!

I also have had difficulties with anesthia. When I had my spinal surgery, I explained my difficulties. The anesthia doctors researched my history and found that my extreme allergy to anything soy and the fact that most anesthia is soy-based was my problem with not being able tolerate it. After some "witch doctoring :) ", they came up with a "knock out juice" for me. Snap! no problem what so ever.

My point is, explain your reaction to anesthia to your surgery team and they should be able to find something that agrees with you. It never hurts to ask, right?

The only drain I've ever had was after my spinal surgery. That was pulled the morning I left the hospital. I've been told that I could have as many as six drains after my plastic surgery. I will lose two at my one week check and one every week after. That is the part that I am dreading the most. yuck.

I am so used to taking narcotics since my spinal surgery that I don't react negatively to them any longer. Once again, I suggest you discuss your concerns with your surgical team. I'll bet they will have an alternative for you.

Keep the line of honest, and up front communication open. That way no one is unpleasantly surprised. Knowledge is a powerful tool.

Wish you the best of luck and results with your upcoming plastic surgery. :)

One word - DILAUDID. My in hospital drug of choice. Given IV. Morphine makes my chest feel like an elephant is sitting on it. Norco pills were given to me 90 a month for years but I hated the idea of taking them, so resorted to them only when desperate for pain relief.

But dilaudid- like a cool sheet being pulled over you gently and as it does the pain disappears. No headaches or nausea with it- at least for me. Ask for it instead of morphine.

Btw- there IS a morphine pill, called Embeda. Horrid! The only thing it does is embed your poop and your ability to have a bowel movement worse than any other narcotic!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ask for a nausea patch that goes behind your ear. It lasts for 72 hrs and works beautifully! There is also an anesthetic that will help you through your first couple days called experell. See if they carry that. It may help to take some Probiotics to bust your immune system after surgery, but will help with irregularity also. Taking a liquid form of pain meds worked for me because my tummy didn't have to work so has to break it down. Good luck!! I hope all goes well for you!

I will be a year out and will definetly need the panni and would love the abdominolplasty. My carrier Cigna plan states it's not covered unless medically necessary. Do you mine sharing your insurance carrier and give me suggestions as I start going through the consult stage for plastics??

One word - DILAUDID. My in hospital drug of choice. Given IV. Morphine makes my chest feel like an elephant is sitting on it. Norco pills were given to me 90 a month for years but I hated the idea of taking them, so resorted to them only when desperate for pain relief.

But dilaudid- like a cool sheet being pulled over you gently and as it does the pain disappears. No headaches or nausea with it- at least for me. Ask for it instead of morphine.

Btw- there IS a morphine pill, called Embeda. Horrid! The only thing it does is embed your poop and your ability to have a bowel movement worse than any other narcotic!

Dilaudid is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App