Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good evening everyone. I had a bad experience today. Last night my wonderful husband broiled shrimp for us. They tasted great! I ate 3 small shrimp with no side effects.

We had left over shrimp so he re-heated them for us at lunch today. Within 15 minutes of eating 2 shrimp I became very ill- stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting. This went on for about 4 hours. I finally had to go to bed and sleep it off.

Has anyone else had this happen with leftovers?

The good news is I'm down 14 lbs since my bypass date of 6/27.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not specifically leftovers but what I will say is that there are days when something works and then the next day my tummy doesn't like it.

As time goes by, this does improve.

I had trouble with shrimp the first time I ate it. It may have to do with the tough, spongy texture after it was reheated.

That's what I thought. I had 2oz of fresh broiled lobster Friday and did fine with it. I guess it's part of the learning experience.

I live on the Texas coast and love fresh sea food. It's a good source of Protein and a little goes a long way.

Good evening everyone. I had a bad experience today. Last night my wonderful husband broiled shrimp for us. They tasted great! I ate 3 small shrimp with no side effects.

We had left over shrimp so he re-heated them for us at lunch today. Within 15 minutes of eating 2 shrimp I became very ill- stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting. This went on for about 4 hours. I finally had to go to bed and sleep it off.

Has anyone else had this happen with leftovers?

The good news is I'm down 14 lbs since my bypass date of 6/27.

Wow sorry you had this experience. That's horrible. I'm actually surprised you are eating solid foods at this point. I had my surgery on 6\29 and am only allowed liquids and pureed foods. Maybe that had something to do with it that your body wasn't ready to process it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

After a 2 week post op liquid diet I went right to solid foods. My plan doesn't include a bridge stage of pureed foods. Of course it's mostly a "pay attention to your body" game.

Might be the reheating that changed the food or else just your stomach adjusting. At this stage it's all trial/error stuffs. I have found seafood to be the easiest to digest so far as well. Keep it up! :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

If you reheat food in the microwave, you suck the moisture out. So that makes it harder to digest and it can get stuck.

I don't eat leftovers and I never heat things in the microwave.

My comment would be like a couple of others- why are you eating solids already? You had bypass? Right? There needs to be a progression, IMHO, into solids- at 3 months post op, when I am cleared to eat anything, I still can't. And like a previous poster said, one day something works, another it doesn't, and I get stuck or nauseated. The mouth foaming is the worst! Lol. Be careful. Treat your pouch gently. By 2 weeks post op your foods should still be soft, mushy and WET. And always always always- don't drink after you eat.

Feel better! Be kind to your body! Best wishes!!

I've found that boneless, skinless chicken thighs have this same effect on me! Right out of the pan they are wonderful, but if I reheat them, it is a NO GO!

HW: 437

SW: 376

CW: 326

RNY on 5/16/16

Shrimp is a food that always makes me sick, which is disappointing because I used to love it and the Protein in it is great. :(

As for leftovers. I usually find they are too hard for my stomach unless it's a Soup. Then I get that stomach pain that doesn't go away so I have to vomit to make the pain stop, cause it'll last well over an hour.

I will say it took me a long time following bypass before I could chew shrimp well enough to actually tolerate it. It was one of those foods I put off until 3 or 4 months post op.

Fish, no problem......I also was not released for regular food until week 6 post op and then it was soft regular foods.

I do eat left overs all the time, I think I would go broke otherwise. I usually choose to warm them gently either using the microwave at 50% power and stirring many times in between or I warm them in a pan and use broth or some other sauce to ensure they are not dry. I even do that now 22 months post op.