Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honey in Tea? Clear Liquid Phase?

Sipping on some herbal tea with honey right now. Today is the first time I've put honey in my tea post op (one week post op, still on clear liquids), I assumed it was OK to do so, considering sugary drink are allowed. However, I find that as the liquid goes down I feel a slight burning sensation. It doesn't hurt but it's different. Just wanted to reach out and ask this community. My packet says nothing about no honey but maybe you all know something I don't.

Feedback appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

To my knowledge, there should be no reason you can't have honey in tea as long as it's mostly dissolved in the hot tea.

A little honey or splenda is OK. Surgery drinks are a NO NO.

Sugary drinks are NOT allowed. Who told you that? Some diluted juice is allowed assuming that it would be in VERY limited quantities. Please do not add honey agave sugar corn Syrup molasses or any other sweetner to your drinks or food. In fact you should have thrown all of those things away prior to surgery. Please throw them away now. Please also go throw away anything with more than 5 grams of sugar per serving. Please do not buy these things again. Then go out and get yourself some truvia or some organic stevia packets and have a nice day. If tea burns then stop drinking tea.

Sugary drinks are NOT allowed. Who told you that? Some diluted juice is allowed assuming that it would be in VERY limited quantities. Please do not add honey agave sugar corn Syrup molasses or any other sweetner to your drinks or food. In fact you should have thrown all of those things away prior to surgery. Please throw them away now. Please also go throw away anything with more than 5 grams of sugar per serving. Please do not buy these things again. Then go out and get yourself some truvia or some organic stevia packets and have a nice day. If tea burns then stop drinking tea.

I'm quite certain that this forum is for questions and a community of people who are looking to uplift and support people, rather than act like they are some sort of physician and make demands of what people should do. What I meant by sugary drinks was things like Gatorade, Snapple, Iced Teas that MY DOCTOR instructed I could have as long as they were diluted with Water. Every doctor has different instructions and rules, so your instructions may be much different from the ones I received. The point of my posted question was to receive friendly ADVICE from other about their experience with honey in tea on the clear liquid phase, not to be reprimanded. If you were going to waste your time leaving such a nasty comment and end with " if tea burns then stop drinking it" you shouldn't have even commented at all. HAVE A NICE DAY

Sipping on some herbal tea with honey right now. Today is the first time I've put honey in my tea post op (one week post op, still on clear liquids), I assumed it was OK to do so, considering sugary drink are allowed. However, I find that as the liquid goes down I feel a slight burning sensation. It doesn't hurt but it's different. Just wanted to reach out and ask this community. My packet says nothing about no honey but maybe you all know something I don't.

Feedback appreciated :)

Who told you sugary drinks are allowed?

I am not an every day tea drinker, but I always have a tsp of honey in my tea. It's counted in my daily calories and is fine. I have ever since the Clear liquids phase.

in the beginning of being post sleeve I had a weird pain type feeling with every sip I had no matter what temperature the liquid was. this went away fairly quickly for me.

How are fake sugars any better than a small amount of honey? Your body has the same reaction to them.

Just shows you how different all of our plans are. My clear liquid was clear fruit juices diluted in half with Water. No Gatorade, no sweetened tea, no honey, no sugar, nothing like that. After the clear liquid phase, I couldn't have fruit juices any more. The point of the juice was that was all the carbs I was getting.

I think that if your plan allows honey and you tolerate it well, then you can put it in your tea.

Mine only allows sugar substitutes, so I wouldn't use honey... but then, I don't drink tea anyway!

Best of luck to you in this journey we're all sharing!